Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded December 17th--So Uncomfortable

Hello,

I was banded on Dec 17th and went home that same day. However the next day I returned to the ER due to horrible pain. After an overnight stay in the hospital, I am back home and still feeling very uncomfortable. I am only able to sip 2 to 4 oz of broth or other liquidy substance within a 2 hour period. In addition, I am experiencing soreness of the incision areas, painfully bloated stomach, severe back pain, gas pains, overly full feeling and feeling of hunger. I am totally confused since I am always uncomfortable and walking only relieves the pain for a short period.

If there are any recent lapband patients that have advice or tools to control such issues please respond.

Thank you

I was banded on the 16th and have had no pain - or any of the symptoms you have listed. Have you spoken with your doctor????

Hello,

I was banded on Dec 17th and went home that same day. However the next day I returned to the ER due to horrible pain. After an overnight stay in the hospital, I am back home and still feeling very uncomfortable. I am only able to sip 2 to 4 oz of broth or other liquidy substance within a 2 hour period. In addition, I am experiencing soreness of the incision areas, painfully bloated stomach, severe back pain, gas pains, overly full feeling and feeling of hunger. I am totally confused since I am always uncomfortable and walking only relieves the pain for a short period.

If there are any recent lapband patients that have advice or tools to control such issues please respond.

Thank you

What did the ER say? Did they contact your surgeon? If not, you should give your surgeon a call today. Keep your pain medication going to keep on top of things. Everyone reacts to the surgery differently. I had a moderate amount of pain the first few days. After that, it was just fatigue and soreness.

I was told to sip one ounce over a 15 minute period. So taking a couple of hours it drink a few ounces is OK, if it is going down.

Hope you feel better soon!

Yes I last spoke to my Dr yesterday before being discharged from the hospital. I was feeling better yesterday as I was full of morphine that was provided through IV. However today, the pain is back and I am unsure of how to deal with it. In a few I will contact my lap band advocate for support.

Thanks

I was banded on the 16th and have had no pain - or any of the symptoms you have listed. Have you spoken with your doctor????

Hello,

Thank you

I felt the same way, I am about 4 weeks post op. The pain from the gas was really bad. Try and keep moving and stay on top of your pain meds. Try and sip slowly and every few minutes..baby sips. Try and get up and walk around you bedroom or home moving helps the gas get out of your body. I had pain from the gas that was so bad I went to ER to have a chest scan because I thought I had a blood clot, so it is painful but hang in there it will pass. It is a confusing time right now with hunger and fullness. The bottom part of your stomach feels hungry but you take a few sips and feel very bloated. It is normal and remember each day will get better. The gas pains could last up to a week but each day should be less painful. Good Luck.

Jenny

I was banded on the 17th Dec also. I stayed in the hospital overnight though. I experienced ALL your symptoms. Take a liquid painkiller, sip Water, juices etc. I ate Soups for dinner but only could stomach 1/4 of the bowl at any one time. Yesterday (Dec 21st) was the first day I started feeling better. Today I spent 4 hours Christmas shopping. I made time to get a massage in between but informed them of my operation. From day one, my husband massaged me which provided some relief. Take a liquid to relieve your gas and walk around the house. That's what I did for 4 days. The pain will eventually go away. I had no appetite whatsoever but kept sipping as much as I could. Now I'm only in pain around my incisions when I cough or sneeze. Other than that, I'm feeling so much better. I'm still struggling to eat enough though. I'm drinking Protein Shakes, juices, water and soups for now. I have lost 16.5 lb since my pre op diet. Hang in there. It'll all pass! Good luck!

I was banded on the 17th as well and although I haven't had too many issues with gas pains, I have been more sore and uncomfortable than I ever expected. I hate taking pain meds and even after 2 c sections I only took a few and none after say 2 days. I am still taking my liquid pain meds with this surgery. It makes it much more manageable and helps me to sleep at night. Hang in there and if you don't have any type of pain elixir I would recommend asking your doc for some.