Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band questionsI wasn't sure where to post this exactly so I decided here since it does involve meals and food but also the surgery itself. My gf h

Eishiba
Sign in to follow this  

I wasn't sure where to post this exactly so I decided here since it does involve meals and food but also the surgery itself. My gf has had an 8 cc band for the last 1 1/2 years. She got put to a 5 cc fill about a month ago. She has gone from about 250lbs down to about 190. She has always had trouble keeping food down. Mostly things like bread. I think because she tends to fast that she doesn't really chew anything very well either. Just my guesses, I'm not doctor.She also doesn't eat much. I think its out fear of getting sick with each meal. However, she became dehydrated a few days ago. She was vomitting alot and complained of lightheadness and simply not feeling well. She went to the doctor and had them take out half a cc or so. She is doing a little better, even though her skin is dry and she looks 5 years older. The doctor has her drinking things like orange juice, Water, and Tomato juice. She said the doctor said that someone people have to be a certain range from their "sweet spot" or else they get dehydrated. How is this so? Her meals haven't consisted of much. Some days I ask her what she has eaten and its never anything enough to sustain a person for a day. I really don't remember the last time she even had two decent sized meals a day. She never eats 3 times a day(which may not be necessary for some lap band patients i suppose). Can I have a list of what others with lap band eat in a day? Whether its 1 or 3 times or more a day? I'm just not sure she is doing this right or quite possibly I just don't understand that this is what happens. I'm not in the medical field so I may know absolutly nothing. Any info, thoughts, comments, corrections, are welcome.

I am no expert in this area, but all I have read here, and from my surgeon it doesn't seem right. If she isn't eating much sounds almost like she's starving herself. Most people who have posted here can't eat bread due to it turning into a dough ball :) Maybe she's too tight in her fill and she's not able to eat because of that. People with the band should be able to eat normally just a lot less. If you check the "food nutrition" area of the site there is a post about "What did you eat today", that might help you out too.

Most of us eat three small meals during the day. Two is also ok. Anything less than that and I would be concerned about being too tight.

In addition, I try to drink 8 cups of Water each day.

Hope this helps you.

I wasn't sure where to post this exactly so I decided here since it does involve meals and food but also the surgery itself. My gf has had an 8 cc band for the last 1 1/2 years. She got put to a 5 cc fill about a month ago. She has gone from about 250lbs down to about 190. She has always had trouble keeping food down. Mostly things like bread. I think because she tends to fast that she doesn't really chew anything very well either. Just my guesses, I'm not doctor.She also doesn't eat much. I think its out fear of getting sick with each meal. However, she became dehydrated a few days ago. She was vomitting alot and complained of lightheadness and simply not feeling well. She went to the doctor and had them take out half a cc or so. She is doing a little better, even though her skin is dry and she looks 5 years older. The doctor has her drinking things like orange juice, Water, and Tomato juice. She said the doctor said that someone people have to be a certain range from their "sweet spot" or else they get dehydrated. How is this so? Her meals haven't consisted of much. Some days I ask her what she has eaten and its never anything enough to sustain a person for a day. I really don't remember the last time she even had two decent sized meals a day. She never eats 3 times a day(which may not be necessary for some lap band patients i suppose). Can I have a list of what others with lap band eat in a day? Whether its 1 or 3 times or more a day? I'm just not sure she is doing this right or quite possibly I just don't understand that this is what happens. I'm not in the medical field so I may know absolutly nothing. Any info, thoughts, comments, corrections, are welcome.

There is no way she can be getting enuf Protein eating so little. I commend you for being so supportive. Can you suggest that she start using a good nutrient tracker? I use MY FITNESS PAL for iPhone. Maybe if she can see how few nutrients including protein she eats in a day it will help her. Also, a good nutritionist that has knowledge of Bariatric patients would be of great benefit. She only has to go a few times a yr but their advice can be so helpful. I also use cocktail utensils. The small forks n spoons remind me to eat little bites and chew well. If she doesn't like drinking Water, my NUT says that unsweetened iced tea or something with splenda but no caffiene will count toward her liquid for the day. I would stay away from too many fruit juices because of the natural sugars and calories. It sounds like her dr should order a blood panel to see how her health and nutrition are being managed. I hope she feels better soon while continuing to lose, but I don't think she is losing weight in a healthy way right now.