Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery this Tuesday or Thursday

I have done it right all the way. From my first meeting with the my doctor to today. Haven't cheating on the preop, went to 5 support meetings in 6 months, and completed all insurance requirements. Read zillions of positive posts on LBT and made some wonderful friends through this process. Right now my mind is about 99% on board. It's that last nerve that that won't stop bugging me. I need a few more positive inputs about lap-band and eating after surgery. I don't want to look like an albatross while out with friends. I'm not looking to ever continue my old eating habits in any way. I just want to fit in and not look strange. There are friends I adore but will probably never know about my surgery, I hate to say they sometimes tend to be negative and I just don't want to hear any of that. And of course the question that has haunted many of us right before surgery, Am I doing the right thing? I would LOVE YA FOREVER if you could send me a little support on these two things. :wub:

I have done it right all the way. From my first meeting with the my doctor to today. Haven't cheating on the preop, went to 5 support meetings in 6 months, and completed all insurance requirements. Read zillions of positive posts on LBT and made some wonderful friends through this process. Right now my mind is about 99% on board. It's that last nerve that that won't stop bugging me. I need a few more positive inputs about lap-band and eating after surgery. I don't want to look like an albatross while out with friends. I'm not looking to ever continue my old eating habits in any way. I just want to fit in and not look strange. There are friends I adore but will probably never know about my surgery, I hate to say they sometimes tend to be negative and I just don't want to hear any of that. And of course the question that has haunted many of us right before surgery, Am I doing the right thing? I would LOVE YA FOREVER if you could send me a little support on these two things. :wub:

I know how you feel, and where you want to be. In six months your friends are going to want to know what you're doing to look so good. You can tell them then, or leave them wondering. I'll bet they'll be happy for you.

I was banded Dec 6, and up till the few days before, I had everything all sorted out. I began to second-guess myself, and run back through all the things I had done to get to that place. When I did, I forced myself to relax and feel confident that I was ready for surgery. I think it's natural to second-guess yourself. It's how we humans make sure we're doing the right thing. I think the self doubts are our brains trying to help us make sure we're not being impulsive or self destructive. So if you give yourself time to consider it, you're actually right where you're supposed to be, and you deserve to be very proud of yourself.

As for feeling oinfident about surgery ahead of time, just relax and let the process happen. You're going to be handled by experienced people who are doing exactly what they know how to do. Let go, and give them the chance to step up and be good for you. They'll make things much easier.

Post surgery, you know you'll feel sore, there will be gas, and maybe a bit of pain. Sip Water like a leaky faucet, walk till the nubbies wear off the bottom of your slippers, and keep your mind in the process, so you can make the most of the recovery steps, but minimize the physical side effects. I did that, and I was fine. For me, the lap band surgery has been almost a non-event. Recovery has been very direct. I won't say it was easy, but overall, it's been quite manageable. The biggest surprise for me was discovering that I am apparently lactose intolerant. Who knew? Threw a bit of a wrench into the spokes, though, when I'm trying to live on Protein shakes.... ;)

Keep your eyes on the prize of becoming the person you want to be. Surgery is the next step in that process. You're going to be fine.

Best of luck,

Dave

I know how you feel, and where you want to be. In six months your friends are going to want to know what you're doing to look so good. You can tell them then, or leave them wondering. I'll bet they'll be happy for you.

I was banded Dec 6, and up till the few days before, I had everything all sorted out. I began to second-guess myself, and run back through all the things I had done to get to that place. When I did, I forced myself to relax and feel confident that I was ready for surgery. I think it's natural to second-guess yourself. It's how we humans make sure we're doing the right thing. I think the self doubts are our brains trying to help us make sure we're not being impulsive or self destructive. So if you give yourself time to consider it, you're actually right where you're supposed to be, and you deserve to be very proud of yourself.

As for feeling confident about surgery ahead of time, just relax and let the process happen. You're going to be handled by experienced people who are doing exactly what they know how to do. Let go, and give them the chance to step up and be good for you. They'll make things much easier.

Post surgery, you know you'll feel sore, there will be gas, and maybe a bit of pain. Sip Water like a leaky faucet, walk till the nubbies wear off the bottom of your slippers, and keep your mind in the process, so you can make the most of the recovery steps, but minimize the physical side effects. I did that, and I was fine. For me, the lap band surgery has been almost a non-event. Recovery has been very direct. I won't say it was easy, but overall, it's been quite manageable. The biggest surprise for me was discovering that I am apparently lactose intolerant. Who knew? Threw a bit of a wrench into the spokes, though, when I'm trying to live on Protein shakes.... ;)

Keep your eyes on the prize of becoming the person you want to be. Surgery is the next step in that process. You're going to be fine.

Best of luck,

Dave

Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for you kind words of encouragement. I appreciate your sense of humor. I will try my best to take your advice and try to relax and let the process happen. I always forget about giving things to God before trying to handle them myself. After reading your words " I should be proud of myself" I think it has become clear in my view that that statement is true. I truly am proud of the steps I have taken to have a better life for myself. I will follow your advice about sipping away and wearing out those cute slipper sox's they give you. ( Oh, I hope they have PINK) All kidding aside, I appreciate that you took the time to respond to me. Your advice will be taken to heart and remembered.

With Sincere Appreciation,

Linnie

I agree with Dave. Just relax. I am 3 months post surgery and no one but a few people know about my surgery. You will not stick out in social settings. Yes you will be eating less but not where its noticable. people ask me all the time what am I doing. I tell them the truth which is I watch what I eat and I exercise a lot. The band is our aid. The real work is what we put into it. and besides that you dont have restriction at 1st. I have had 3 adjustments and still can eat a full meal, but I chosse on my really good days to get up from the table. No doubt the nerves are gonna be there and dont think it strange if you regret having surgery the next day. I cried for days and wanted band out immediately, but felt much better after talking with some other bandsters. I went through with it ultimately because my desire was to live a healthy and fit life and give my self the chance to be all that God created me to be. We cant do that if we are unhealthy, overweight, sickly. we are not operating at our full potential. and let me tell you, I feel and look great and im only half way there!