Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overwhelmed with insurance requirements

I have a couple questions......I've been approved by PCP, Lupus Reumatologist and surgeon, had a full physical, EGD( stomach scope) I was told I have hiatal hernia and I'm curious if anyone here had one repaired while getting a band? Also, I was told my insurance covered lap band surger..plus the surgeon would only perform lap band because of my auto immune disease. Insurance company didn't mention that I have to enroll in a health care program $500 and weekly visits with nutrisionist and pysc until doc office called for approval. I'm also required to hire a personal trainer for three times a week for several weeks and then two times for the remainder of 6 months. I'm having a hard time motivating myself esp since I have bad joint issues and know working out will cause me a lot of pain..not to mention the money it will cost! I haven't read on here where anyone else has had to go thru this. I have Washington teamster/First Choice. I'm hoping after having surgery that the weight loss will help my joints like I've read it has for others. Any suggestions where I should go for a trainer that wouldn't break the bank?

Thanks, Barb

Thanks, Barb

I have not read about anyone else having to have personal trainer and all that. Sounds a bit extreme and sounds expensive! Good luck

How about a local YMCA? It does sound extreme to me and perhaps you could get your insurance to provide physical therapy through a hospital setting instead. They would be more in the know about how to save your joints and the work- out would be more gentle. Just a thought.

I had a hernia repaired during my second lapband surgery and it was no biggie. I didn't have much pain with it at all. I had had pretty bad reflux prior to that though. I'm better now. I have arthritis too (ankelosing spondelitis) and I can tell you I feel much better with the weight off!

Good luck on your journey!

The YMCA is a great idea. My local Y has personal trainers and I'm sure they are less expensive than a private one. I also had a hernia repiared while getting my band. I've only noticed a couple of times that I had pain from it except when I've pushed it and lifted too much. The most annoying thing with the hernia repair is the 5-10 lb. weight limit. Good luck with all of your requirements :)

I would call the insurance myself to see exactly what they need. I have NEVER heard of such a requirement and I have been reading this board for a year. I second the Y they tend to have really good prices. I would also ask your insurnace if they are insisting that you get a trainer if they will pay for part of the gym membership. Many insurnace companies will pay as long as you can show you'be been going to the gym. Before my first meeting with Band doctor's office I got a print out from my gym showing every visit for the last year. The doctors' office submitted it to my insurance with the rest of my tests.