Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loss of Restriction 2 wks after fill!

Hello! I had my 3rd fill 2 weeks ago and after 4 months since surgery I finally had some good restriction. I was only able to eat about 1/2-1cup of food at a sitting and I was full, I had to now chew really well and take small bites..I was in heaven! I lost 8lbs in less than 2 weeks and was feeling really good. All this past week I noticed that I suddenly was really really hungry and I was able to eat much more than the cup of food at a sitting before feeling full...now once again I feel like I did before my fill where I feel like I have very little restriction and I am back to struggling not to eat so much. I get hungry very quickly after eating too. I am really bummed cause its the holidays and there is so much food! holiday party's, catered lunches at work, etc...etc...I was so happy after I got this last fill that I would have restriction through this tough time and not gain weight..now after eating so much over the past week Im frustrated. My next fill isn't until Jan 12th and I am really upset that the restriction only lasted a couple weeks! Has this happened to anyone of you before? does this eventually not happen with a fill? I have 7cc's in an 11cc band and am scared that I already have so much Fluid in the band but I am wondering if this is the norm and if I will finally get good restriction that LASTS!!

Yep, been there, done that ... hated it! I guess it was aroung the 4 or 5 month, probably my 4th or 5th fill. I thought I was THERE, sweet spot heaven ... NOT! So, I called my doc and made an appointment for another fill. Hang in there, you're on your way. Remember, this is not a race, and depending on your doc (mine was very liberal with the fills) you only have so much control over when/how much fill you get. Don't let the frustration get the better of you, it will only make you eat more (or least that was true for me --before restriction).

This can be a difficult time of year. A time when even thin people overeat. Give yourself a break. Do the best you can and be kind to yourself. You will get there!

~F

Yep, been there, done that ... hated it! I guess it was aroung the 4 or 5 month, probably my 4th or 5th fill. I thought I was THERE, sweet spot heaven ... NOT! So, I called my doc and made an appointment for another fill. Hang in there, you're on your way. Remember, this is not a race, and depending on your doc (mine was very liberal with the fills) you only have so much control over when/how much fill you get. Don't let the frustration get the better of you, it will only make you eat more (or least that was true for me --before restriction).

This can be a difficult time of year. A time when even thin people overeat. Give yourself a break. Do the best you can and be kind to yourself. You will get there!

~F

Thanks Phranp! I was hoping other people had this happen I thought I remembered reading it before but couldnt find any posts on it. At what point did you finally get a fill that lasted??

Well Nicole, remembering that everyone is different ... I think I hit my sweet spot at my 7th fill. I was banded on June 15, 2010 and hit my sweet spot somewhere around April of this year ... maybe March. I haven't been back to see my doc since. LOL I am a slow loser and haven't been on a scale in more than 7 months. I was obsessed with the scale and would become discouraged when I didn't like the numbers; so when my batteries died, I threw away my scale. I only know that I am losing weight because I have had to buy new clothes. I have stepped up my exercise recently and the new clothes I bought a few weeks ago (I bought them just a tiny bit snug) are now loose. The good news is I've lost weight, the GOOD news is I get to go shopping again, YAY!!! LOL Okay, yeah, maybe I should wait a few before buying more new clothes - money doesn't grow on trees. LOL But, we'll see. ;)

Take a deep breath, Nicole, you are going on an "E-ticket" ride (showing my age) and you can stay on it for as long as you are willing to do the work. When you start to get discouraged just remember that as much as we would all like to wave a magic wand and have the weight fall off -- it ain't gonna happen that way. The band is a tool and it works as hard as we are willing to work. If you find yourself overeating during the holidays remind yourself that it really is a choice what we put into our mouths. It is true that when you get to your sweet spot, making that choice will be easier, but it's good to get into the habit of knowing that YOU are in control of what happens to your body.

Nicole, you are young and beautiful and YOUR FUTURE'S SO BRIGHT, YOU'LL HAVE TO WEAR SHADES! LOL Just be patient, better days are ahead! I am having a great time with my band and I'm going to be 55 tomorrow! Wish I had done it when I was your age, but glad I did it at all!

Happy Birthday Phran!! I will be 36 on Friday the 17th so happy birthday to us!! thanks for your encouraging words...

Happy Birthday Phran!! I will be 36 on Friday the 17th so happy birthday to us!! thanks for your encouraging words...

Thanks and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you too!!

Ok, well ... old age will get you everytime, my birthday is Thursday the 16th, not tomorrow! LOL Guess I am anxious!

I've been there too. after my first fill I had 2 blissful weeks and then it left me. last week I got my 4th fill. The first 3 days were great and now nothing. its discouraging but its great to see that it's normal and I'm not alone.

I'm the opposite. I have no immediate reaction after a fill, but almost 2 weeks later to the day *BAM*...sudden difference. I'm about 5-6 weeks from my last fill and have noticed this morning that, despite having a good Breakfast no one hour ago, I'm physically hungry. I'm guessing it's because I've lost about 10 pounds during this time and the band may be loosening. Since my doc only does fills on Tuesday, guess I get to wait a week to get a slight fill.

Based on others' posts, I think the sweet spot is a temporary thing while we're losing and becomes longer term when we hit maintenance.