Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Following Dr.'s reccomendations?

So, I was just curious on what other people do. When I went for my last appointment for the six month weight loss thing. My Dr. had reiterated his rules for banding (what to do post op). Two of those things were, 3 meals only, no Snacks, and no carbs, (pasta, rice, potato, etc). When I went for one of my dietition appointments, she said I could have some carbs if I was still hungry. I see plenty of posts on here where people eat small Snacks inbetween, and eat carbs. I will try doing what he said at first, but not sure if I can do the no carbs, or no snacks. I mean I plan to do the calorie thing and stay under a certain amount (I will see what works). One time when I was on weight watchers, I tried eating fewer points than was reccomended and my weight stalled, I upped the calories (points) and I started losing again, so possibly if I go under a certain calorie amount consistantly I don't lose. So I do not see how I can get enough calories in with only eating 3 meals and only max of one cup at a time.

Anyone post op have opinions on this? My surgery dat is on the 20th, so I have a little time to think about how to eat, what with the liquid phase and all the other phases before I can eat real food.

Just my opinion here.....No carbs? As in Zero? That seems a bit extreme, perhaps unhealthy. Or are you allowed to get some carbs from complex carbs or fruits?

Many surgeons say no snacking. I had an interesting conversation with mine about the topic. His rule is no snacking as well. I said well, it is a very long haul from lunch at 11 to dinner at 6. He said I could have food in between meals if needed and planned. His definition of "snacking" is brainless eating. DOH! Ya couldn't have told me that before I was frustrated because I wasn't following the no snacking rule by having my string cheese or banana when I got home from work?

Was the nutritionist part of your surgeon's group? If so, I'd work with her on the diet part. She has studied nutrition far more than the surgeon.

I was banded on 11/22 and follow my surgeon's orders completely. He requires 3 meals per day, 20 grams of Protein per meal, no more than 600 calories a day, no more than 5 carbs per meal, no bread, no rice, no Pasta, no crackers, no potatoes, a minimum of 64 ounces of liquid per day, no red meat or pork until I have lost 75% of my excess weight, etc.

I have done well and lost 34 lbs. since the beginning of my pre-op liquid diet that started 11/8. I have no Fluid in my band. So, the only restriction I have had is from surgical swelling. Unfortunately, that little bit of restriction is fading away. I find myself very hungry between meals. Even so, I do not snack because I will be mad at myself. I try to ask myself if those few bites are worth the risk of gaining. It is extremely hard and takes a lot of will power.

Best of luck on your surgery. This is the best thing you will do for yourself!

Doctor's are not trained in nutrition and most nutritionists follow the "same old, same old" that's been taught for decades. IMHO, this is our body and we know from experience what has worked and hasn't worked...and for my 'stalkers' who love to follow me around...just because we don't *DO*, doesn't mean we don't *KNOW*.

I do think that when most doctors and nutritionists say 'no snacking', as Cocoabean said, they're referring to mindless eating. There's a vast difference between having a snack of a piece of cheese or hard boiled egg, even some vegie sticks or fruit, than there is of the typical snack of cheetos, ice cream or Cookies.

As a general rule these days, my 'snack' has been a hot cup of chicken broth with 1/4 tsp toasted sesame seed oil but if I'm having a rough day with the blood sugar, my mid-meal snack is a hard boiled egg or some cheese.< /p>

Again, when your doctor said 'no carb', I'm thinking he didn't mean vegies but was referring to the Pasta, bread, rice and potatoes type of carbs (starch vegies would fall into this category too - peas, corn, etc.).

If you aim for 30-45 carbs a day, that's plenty to get your vegies .

OK, that makes more sense. I am perfectly content with having a piece of string cheese or carrots and hummous or something like that. I did not intend to go out for ice cream or anything as a snack. As for gotmyeyeontheprize, no red meat would be really hard for me. I do not eat fish, so that leaves about chicken and as much as I like chicken I could not eat that for every meal. And I don't eat tofu or anything. I only buy 7% fat meat anyways.

gotmyeyeontheprize,I have to hand it to you; if you can follow those rules you are much stronger than me. I do think 600 cal and total 15 carbs a day is nuts. Yes we have a lot of fat for our body to burn off; but the brain can't burn fat or Protein. It needs carbs. Also, personally I do an hour of cardio a day. I know that I could'nt survive on that low of a calorie count and continue to 1)exercise 2)work.

honk, it is getting pretty hard. Especially, since I do not have any fill in my band!! Like you, I think it is a bit crazy to be as limited as I am. I go back on Dec. 20th and plan to talk to the nutritionist about such low calories and carbs. My energy level is extremely low.

I ask my doctor if I would have to do a presurgery liquid diet; he said "Well if you want to do one sure." That was'nt what I meant. Anyway he recommends this 500 cal liquid diet from HMR. Let me also point out that not all members of his staff (nurse and nutrionist) agree with this plan. I tried it for a week and felt like I was having alergic reactions to it (numbness in the back of my throat. My brother has life threatening food alergies so I know what to look for); and I was'nt loosing any weight. Someone who weighs 315 pounds and does an hour of cardio a day who only consumes 500 calories should be loosing weight. I met with the nurse and we agreed I would stop HMR and go back to my own diet; underwhich I had been loosing weight!