Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long must I be on liquids??????

Hello,

There seem to be a lot of opinions about the post op diet. At NYU where I had my lap band put in, they say 10 days post op liquids. The first few days I didn't care --- I wasn't hungry. Now, I'm so hungry it hurts. Must I really stay on liquids for another 4 days? I'd love to know other experiences. Thank you.

My first answer is to follow your docs orders. My second is to call and ask if its OK to add some mushies. My third - and my personal favorite - is that I tried some scrambled eggs a few days early and had no problem.

Hi! My doc advised that I be on a full liquid diet (they allow yogurt, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, grits) for 2 weeks post op. I recommend drinking your Protein Shakes and if you can, adding some of the things I mentioned above. I think you should probably contact your doc first though to make sure they are ok with that. I had my surgery on December 2nd and I haven't really been hungry on this diet. Are you getting 3 meals and 3 Snacks a day? That is what they advised me to do. Also, I have weird rumblings in my stomach that almost feel like hunger pains but I heard it's just normal after surgery. Are you having that?

I'm on liquids until I see my surgeon on Thursday (one week post op). If I've tolerates liquids well then she will move me to pureed foods.

That being said, I dont think it's wise to go against your doctors orders. Call and get permission and it will ease your mind.

My Dr. did not say, but my nutritionist gave me those post op guide for eating, and it said Clear Liquids one week, but she told me if I felt I was ready I could start full liquids after 5 days. That is what I was told. Every doctor is different it seems.

I had clear liquids first week, full liquids second, and then mushies 3rd week. I am still in the full liquids stage and not too hungry, but can't wait til mushies! Right now I can have cream of wheat, yogurt, no sugar pudding, and Protein Drinks. Can't wait til Tuesday when I can have an egg, tuna, and soft cheese ...

I was on clear liquids for the first two days and then full liquids for 7 days after that.

I also was on clear liquids for one week (which included Protein shakes), full liquids for another week. Every doctor is different. Mine did not allow mashed potato or yoghurt until the third week (mushies). Remember this is about allowing your stomach to heal as the stiches they place start below the band and reach up to connect to the stomach above the band. Sooo, you don't want the stomach to do much churning (ie digesting). What I did was have my broth and then a hour later have the Protein Shake. If that plan does'nt help I would add extra broth as it is only 15 calories a cup.

I had clear liquids first week, full liquids second, and then mushies 3rd week. I am still in the full liquids stage and not too hungry, but can't wait til mushies! Right now I can have cream of wheat, yogurt, no sugar pudding, and Protein drinks. Can't wait til Tuesday when I can have an egg, tuna, and soft cheese ...

An egg, tuna and soft cheese sounds so good right

now! I'm Day 3 post op but feeling good.