Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No 2-week liquid pre-op diet required!

I finally had my surgeon consult today. My insurance does not require any supervised weight loss, but the Surgeon's program requires 3 months and the psych eval. That's all behind me. I'm going to pick the Lap Band over the Realize band. I asked about the 2 week liquid diet, and he says he does not require it, and that it is (and I quote) "Not advantageous to the patient" He stated that he has done lapbands laproscopically on 600lb patients and he has the tools to move a large liver out of the way, so he isn't worried about it. He told me not to GAIN any weight and still TRY to lose, but no liquid diet is required. Anyone else hear of this?

No liquid diet for me but I had surgery 1½ days after my consult as I was self pay and all my medical records were up to date. Went to seminar and the Dr. appointment on Saturday and checked into hospital on Monday morning at 6:00 am. I have really bad anixiety too and I did not even have time to be nervous until I got to hospital. The Doctor gave me a choice of dates but I took the first one I could.

Cheri

:lol:

I finally had my surgeon consult today. My insurance does not require any supervised weight loss, but the Surgeon's program requires 3 months and the psych eval. That's all behind me. I'm going to pick the Lap Band over the Realize band. I asked about the 2 week liquid diet, and he says he does not require it, and that it is (and I quote) "Not advantageous to the patient" He stated that he has done lapbands laproscopically on 600lb patients and he has the tools to move a large liver out of the way, so he isn't worried about it. He told me not to GAIN any weight and still TRY to lose, but no liquid diet is required. Anyone else hear of this?

:lol: Hey there, I sis the 14 day diet. It was u can eat anything that goes in a salad but not eggs or bacon, stuff like that, And steamed or raw vegs, and broths. and Protein shakes with skim milk. and plain yogurt. And the 24 hour before sugery u can't eat nothing, And then for 5 days after u can only eat stuff that is clear., so Jello,broths,pickerels, hard sugar free Candis. yep, that is what i am on now, I can't wait to be back to eating the salad stuff again., But i got banged the 8th of this month. and i'm 2 days out. do 3 more to go.

Hi! I live in BC Canada and wasnt required to do the pre-op diet either and it left me wondering why so many people on this site were required to do it. I have also noticed that different Doctors give different instructions for the post-op diet as well.

I guess we can count ourselves lucky we didn't have to do the pre-op diet. I thoroughly enjoyed my 'last supper' the night before surgery! LOL :)

My doctor said the exact same thing, when I asked. He said that at their practice (Center of Excellence, 4 surgeons), they used to require it, but they found that it didn't help the outcomes at all.

I was happy to skip it. I was nervous enough just before surgery that I really didn't need the stress of the liquid diet. The liquids after were no big deal. I wasn't hungry and I didn't really mind it.

I think we are lucky to have the docs we have. I always feel sorry for the people who are suffering through that 2 weeks.

Cindy

My Dr. did require 2 wk. liquid diet. Until reading posts on here I had never heard of a Dr. that did not require it. The good thing about the liquid diet is I lost 10lbs before my surgery. A nice jump start. My Dr. said the larger the liver...the greater risk of accidently knicking it. I tend to side on better safe than sorry...So, I would probably do the 2 wks liquid anyway. It is entirely up to You.

Best of Luck with Your Surgery!!

My Surgeon required 2 wks liquid diet. He said the larger the liver the higher the risk of it being accidently knicked during surgery. I also lost 10 lbs during the 2 week liquid diet...Which gives you a nice jump start on the weight loss process. Everyone I have talked to said their Dr. required the 2 weeks liquid. I always tend to go with better safe than sorry...I would probably go on 2 weeks liquid anyway. But, it is entirely up to You.

Best of Luck with Your surgery!!

Going on Atkins for those 2 weeks pre-op shrinks the liver. It's a carbs thing.

Sorry somehow I posted my response twice. Could not figure out how to delete one.

I had no pre-op diet. Just soft foods the day before surgery and nothing after midnight. Was banded on Thursday and I'm doing well.

I hadn't heard of the two week pre-op diet until I found this website. I was banded 13 days ago and all I had was a Clear liquids diet the day before and had to take magnesium citrate that day also. I'm not sure what the 2 week liquid diet is for as I had no problems or complications not doing it.

You will find the pre & post-op diets vary quite a bit. For instance my only pre-op diet was a clear liquid diet the day before surgery & my post-op diet was soft mushy foods upon discharge from hospital (24 hrs after surgery). I think if you have faith in your surgeon you need to have faith in their protocol! Best of luck to you on your WLS journey!

Mine you have to do it if your BMI is over 40. Overall I'm kinda glad I had to do it, it's getting my mindset in the right place

Meg, who is your surgeon? Mine said the exact same thing! I used Dr. Chua at Sinai in Milwaukee....I'm 3 days out. :)

I wish I didnt have to do one, it has been one of the hardest things I had to do in my life. and the sad thing is I havent lost one pound on this diet. So discouraging and I get banded on the 15th