Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Infection Cleared, first fill today and jealousy

I am sooo happy that my infection cleared so quickly. I got my first fill today, was sooo happy. 3CCs.

So that being said, things are going okay.

From the week I got the infection to my follow up last week I stayed at 207.8. Last week though I started at the gym. So from last week to this week I lost 4 lbs I am down to 203.8.

As far as the jealousy topic....

I posted half joking, that I weight myself on Monday, Wed, and Friday at the gym. So that Tuesday and Thursdays I can have my splurge food.

This girl kind of said that I must have some mental thing going on.

Really?

No, I have no mental thing going on. Having one chocolate covered cherry or one cup of ice tea as a treat is not a mental thing. Or two bites of ice cream. Seriously? I didn't loose 4lbs because I am eating crap and creating an unhealthy pattern of eating. If anything, I am giving myself days to have a bite of something I enjoyed that I now have on the back burner. The reason for this is because I can not have my calories too low or I start gaining. I never had a problem with food, I had to have the surgery due to medical reasons. I have always been a healthy eater to a point. Probably my guiltiest pleasure was fast food, that way I didn't have to cook. Now that being said, I didn't even ever finish anything I ordered.

Do you think people tend to be jealous if you can eat stuff that they can't? Everyone is different in their body structures, everyones body reacts differently to food. Now that I have to eat smaller portions and now that my thyroid is under control, the weight is coming off fine and I can enjoy a small treats. Only days I allow it though are Tuesdays and Thursdays, how is that a "MENTAL" thing?

I am sooo happy that my infection cleared so quickly. I got my first fill today, was sooo happy. 3CCs.

So that being said, things are going okay.

From the week I got the infection to my follow up last week I stayed at 207.8. Last week though I started at the gym. So from last week to this week I lost 4 lbs I am down to 203.8.

As far as the jealousy topic....

I posted half joking, that I weight myself on Monday, Wed, and Friday at the gym. So that Tuesday and Thursdays I can have my splurge food.

This girl kind of said that I must have some mental thing going on.

Really?

No, I have no mental thing going on. Having one chocolate covered cherry or one cup of ice tea as a treat is not a mental thing. Or two bites of ice cream. Seriously? I didn't loose 4lbs because I am eating crap and creating an unhealthy pattern of eating. If anything, I am giving myself days to have a bite of something I enjoyed that I now have on the back burner. The reason for this is because I can not have my calories too low or I start gaining. I never had a problem with food, I had to have the surgery due to medical reasons. I have always been a healthy eater to a point. Probably my guiltiest pleasure was fast food, that way I didn't have to cook. Now that being said, I didn't even ever finish anything I ordered.

Do you think people tend to be jealous if you can eat stuff that they can't? Everyone is different in their body structures, everyones body reacts differently to food. Now that I have to eat smaller portions and now that my thyroid is under control, the weight is coming off fine and I can enjoy a small treats. Only days I allow it though are Tuesdays and Thursdays, how is that a "MENTAL" thing?

Congrats on losing 4 pounds! Thats awesome! The gym is a great place :) I dont love working out all the time, but I often look forward to going (I used to just dread it). And when I am dreading it, I just put on my big girl pants and suck it up - and then its over before I know it!

As far as the other thing, I saw the post that you're talking about. On the one hand, there are MANY people on LBT who think that they've got everything figured out as far as diet and what SHOULD be eaten, and what food is "bad" and should be avoided. And I think for a lot of those people, their diets work for them, but they misunderstand that everyone is different and often have a self-righteous attitude about their lifestyle. I don't think they're jealous - I think they just think they're right and most everyone else is wrong. I'm like you in some ways - I don't deprive myself as thats when I get into trouble. I just try to eat my little treats in moderation and also keep treats in the house that are a little healthier so if I do feel the compulsion to go overboard, I can eat 4-5 cups of popcorn and it will only be 100 calories.

On the OTHER hand, I personally acknowledge my issues with food and am seeing an eating disorder therapist to deal with my compulsive eating. I also have hypothyroidism, PCOS, insulin resistance, hormone imbalances, low metabolism, yadda yadda you name it, I have it. And yes, all of those issues have perhaps compounded my weight issues (or at least they haven't helped me lose weight), but to gain the amount of weight that I did, so that I was obese and required WLS, was all on me. And I do have "mental" issues (maybe not the way I would phrase it...but I have issues) surrounding my relationship with food. So on that point, I'd probably agree with the poster who suggested you may have issues you that you might want to take a look at (on your own, or with a therapist)...she just didn't phrase it as gently perhaps as she could've. I'm not sure if the medical issues you're referring to are your PCOS and thyroid, but with all due respect, it seems to me that if you're attributing/blaming your weight and the fact that you needed to have WLS on your thyroid and PCOS, you may have some issues that you could look at (but you'll only start looking at them when you're ready...and maybe you're not ready yet?). If you're referring to some other medical issues, my apologies in advance as I don't know your history or situation.

I don't deprive myself of little treats either, and when i hit a personal goal I treat myself. Not big, but I do. One time my treat might be a cookie or some type of chocolate. When I hit 75 pounds lost this week i treated myself with a full glass of skim milk!!! Did that hit the spot. The last thing my surgeon said to me was absolutely no beverages with calories, so i don't really even drink milk, I was so craving a cold glass of milk. Do what works for you, we are all different and there are all sorts of rules and guidelines set by our doctors... i've noticed they vary quite a bit. Good luck to you... 4 pounds is GREAT!!!

I don't deprive myself of little treats either, and when i hit a personal goal I treat myself. Not big, but I do. One time my treat might be a cookie or some type of chocolate. When I hit 75 pounds lost this week i treated myself with a full glass of skim milk!!! Did that hit the spot. The last thing my surgeon said to me was absolutely no beverages with calories, so i don't really even drink milk, I was so craving a cold glass of milk. Do what works for you, we are all different and there are all sorts of rules and guidelines set by our doctors... i've noticed they vary quite a bit. Good luck to you... 4 pounds is GREAT!!!

I have talked to the nutritionist and had to see a therpaist. I was with a nutritionist for 6 months prior to getting surgery and then after. I also had to meet with a therapist before and after. Everyone saying that I must have some issue with food because I do little treats I became upset. I actually called the nutritionist and she said my thought process is healthy. If I can have a small treat, like a chocolate covered cherry and it makes me happy then I should go with it. The reason being is it is the holidays and we have sooo many temptations so to choose one here and there is healthy. To give myself only certain days for those treats are even better. I keep track of what I eat in a food journal and the nutritionist said that they say people with mental connections to food and my connection isn't to sweet. My connection was to fast food and that was just because of cooking. I just forget to take something out and end up getting fast food. I am working on changing that. I can't eat fast food anymore it makes me sick. Blech, maybe that is a mental thing but all the grease turns my stomach.

When I first started this process I had prepared myself for no sugar in anything. I have already written off soda, though I only used to have ginger ale which is a lesser of the evils but still evil. I only drink Water with maybe a 6oz cup of ice tea once a week to take my morning pills. My friends and family live around going out to eat, so I try to make smart choices and plan outings when I know I will feel hungry and ask to see the calorie/protein information for their meals. I order my meal off of that. This lady at our support group I was talking to told me, "I give myself a little treat twice a week. I work hard at loosing weight, I watch what I eat all the time, exercise, and I believe that a treat will not kill me." My nutritionist says that during the holidays especially, to have this mindset is healthy, it prevents a person from gorging themselves on stuff they shouldn't. We all have Snacks, Cookies, treats and the like in our houses this time of year so being smart about our choices saves us a lot of headache and heartache later.

I agree, as far as my weight gain, did I have a part in it? Well, my only part was probably eating out too often. However, the thing to point out was that even prior to the six months with the nutritionist a year prior to this, I excercised, I ate all Protein and vegtables, proper amounts, did not cheat at all, stayed away from sugar and sugary drinks. I kept a food journal and didn't lie at all, I was honest because I wanted to find out why this is going on. I went to the gym five days a week and gained weight, even working with a personal trainer. So in the end, my doctors and my OBGYN told me, "with PCOS it is hard to loose the weight and gaining is super easy." He said that I shouldn't blame myself for my weight if I am trying to loose and keep on gaining. My doctor said that I should consider getting the lap band, that people with PCOS and Hypothyroid benefit from it.

The doctors, trainers and everyone else sees how "little" I was eating and how much effort I had been putting into my weight loss to only gain. I don't have a mental thing with food, I do have an issue with authority that I will readily admit. IF someones tells me I can't have something, I strive harder to get it. So I had that battle early on in this process.

As in Buddhism, there is a Middle Way, you do not have to seek extremes to move forward towards goals. I eat healthy, have my treats on Tuesday and/or Thursdays, depending on schedules. Some weeks I don't have anything. I believe that some of this will go away when I feel fuller with the next few fills. Part of the problem in my mind is that at night I am hungry. Once that fades out a little I am sure I will get and once these holidays are gone the treats will be out of the house and I won't crave them anymore. People asked me what kind of cake I want for my birthday this coming January, honestly, nothing sounds good. The thought of cake kind of turns my stomach. I think I will ask for a carrot cake and just have a little piece with out the frosting. I have been using Splenda for cooking and baking. Even though I don't end up eating 9/10ths of what I make. I don't know, I think I am doing great. The people who know me best say I am doing great and agree with me about the food issues. I have a friend who is going to a therapist for food issues and we talk all the time. I see her struggles and honestly, I could go with out the treats. She says, "the difference is I couldn't. I would HAVE to have that treat every tuesday and thursday if I set days up like that, so for me that wouldn't be healthy. For you it is a guideline." Last night, which was Thursday, I had no treats. Last Tuesday I had a chocolate covered cherry because I was up all night with a sick baby and was craving something sweet. The last few nights up with her I had nothing. So I don't know, I guess I don't see it the way you guys do. I view it as having healthy guidelines and realizing that by setting up windows of days that I can treat myself works for me.

Oh TKW, I tried to drink Milk the other day, I too was craving it. Made me so incredibly sick. I have realized that dairy products give me tummy yuck. I am so happy that you can still have it. Enjoy.

WOW! To me it sounds like your head is screwed on perfectly straight, sounds like a success story to me!!! Good Luck:D

Hey folks, just stopping through to get some encouragement for my day before the kids get up and I press play on the exercise video. I am at a vicious plateau--well i think it's vicious because I haven't lost a pound since I started on solids 10.6.10. I lost 52 pounds and then started on solids and gained 4 pounds back in 10 days!!! I was bloated last week from a little PMS and Water retention so I'm hoping this is just a phase but it's such a blow to my motivation. I think I'm actually eating less with the solids bc I'm afraid something will get stuck. I was banded 11.8.10 and lost some initial weight very quickly so I think I need to be patient with the journey. I have to stick with what was tried and true for me. I will hopefully be adjusted on 12.21.10 giving me some much needed restriction. Right now I'm hungry all day, exercising every other day and wondering what the heck I did wrong!!! I took for granted those early post-op days when it was easy losing 2-3 lbs a week bc I was full most of the day and just focused on healing. But now the novelty has worn off and I'm passed the phase of hiding behind Protein shakes and chicken broth. I have to start making those hard choices every day to do the right thing for as long as I can. I'm not perfect I just want to be normal though and enjoy the occasional treat here or there or a night out with a few drinks with friends but everything in excess is over for me. Well better press play; the kids will be up soon...

weight.png[/img]