Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do protein shakes make you gain weight????

Hey people! I have noticed that since I started to drink my Protein Shakes, I havenot lost any weight. I am able to drink a whole glass too. I am concerned that it is messing with with my weight loss. Anybody else experience this??</p> <p>0-bhe-shakes-main.jpg

This question really bothers me because it implies so little knowledge of the real battle. I say this with much love, but the only thing that makes you gain weight is daily consuming more calories than you burn. "Shakes" are irrelevant in general, but the calories they contain contribute to your daily intake.

Protein Shakes do not make you gain weight "as such" especially if they are low calorie. What they do is enable you to build muscle, because it is made up of Protein. Drinking protein shakes will also prevent your body from breaking down your existing muscle (and lowering your metabolism in the process which will slow weight loss). So, IMHO they are your very best friend as long as you count the calories as part of your daily intake.

This question really bothers me because it implies so little knowledge of the real battle. I say this with much love, but the only thing that makes you gain weight is daily consuming more calories than you burn. "Shakes" are irrelevant in general, but the calories they contain contribute to your daily intake.

I already know that...trying to make some converstaion and get other peoples takes on the Protein shake. Much love, but no thanks!

Calories in vs calories out is really the only equation you have to worry about. How much value Protein shakes are in the diet battle is debatable, to date there's no irrefutable scientific evidence on the whole Protein thing. Protein is not at all a focus for bandsters here, its more a focus on getting back to an ordinary diet. I think go with what your body tells you it prefers, if you lose more weight with a large protein intake then go for it. I dont, I tend to just faint and feel horrible all the time, I need my carbs (although not white refined ones).

Play around a bit, everybody's different. If you cant eat in the morning, i think a Protein shake makes a pretty decent Breakfast.

"Much love, but no thanks."

That is just plan silly. FYI, many people that participate (whether actively or lurking) really need good information and honest opinions/experiences. You pose a question that you already know the answer to just to get people talking. Well, shame on you.

I think it irresponsible to bait people into a discussion that so misses the point and implies that we are so uneducated on food that we don't get the basics. If people are simply unaware that eating a 6000 calorie per day diet is bad for them, then they shouldn't be allowed to have the band. It won't do them any good.

"Much love, but no thanks."

That is just plan silly. FYI, many people that participate (whether actively or lurking) really need good information and honest opinions/experiences. You pose a question that you already know the answer to just to get people talking. Well, shame on you.

I think it irresponsible to bait people into a discussion that so misses the point and implies that we are so uneducated on food that we don't get the basics. If people are simply unaware that eating a 6000 calorie per day diet is bad for them, then they shouldn't be allowed to have the band. It won't do them any good.

I do not understand why you feel the need to post rude comments in other people's threads??? If you did not like the question or topic, do us all a favor and keep your opinion to yourself. And I was aking for other people's feedback and experience with Protein shakes. Not just putting a question out there for no reason. Calling someone "irresponsible" and saying "shame on you", is totally uncalled for. So I would appreciate if you just leave my post's alone and not comment in them at all!!!!! I don't need your negative attitude. Thankyou!

It's my understanding that Protein Shakes are good during the liquid/mushy stage but after that my doctor said NO MORE. He said the band only works with real food, no liquid calories.

That worked OK for me before my first fill, but now I've had to go back to Protein shakes in the morning - I just can't get "real food" down at that time.

Also, before my first fill I lost weight during the liquid phase and a little during the mushy stage but only maintained during regular food stage.

After your first fill you'll start seeing the downward pattern on your scale and you will need to see what works for you food-wise in the am. I wouldn't worry about being at a standstill at this point. I don't think it's the protein shakes, you just may need a fill at the 6 week post op.

Wishing you the best in finding what works for you!;-)

My Dr. says that supplementing with Protein shakes and bars can be a good thing..... as long as you consider it one of you meals. It can although become extra calories if you aren't counting them. I am tighter in the mornings and have never been a Breakfast person... so I drink a Protein Drink instead. It helps me on the days when I'm short on my Protein. But if you find that you are hungrier thoughout the day when you drink Protein drinks instead of eating you may be better off eating some solid protein. For me thay help... I find I lose faster when I drink them and actually I seem less hungry. They also have alot of good Vitamins that are so benefical to your body! I drink the EAS Advant Edge Protein drinks.( Choclate Fudge 1 net carb and made with Splenda!! You should try them... they are not a milk shake but not bad for a Protein Shake. LOL!!!!

Also the more protein you eat the more muscle it helps you build... and keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. On the weeks you arent losing you could be gaining muscle wich is fantastic for you to do during weight loss!!! Good Luck You!!!

I'm just like Jamie... I usually start the day with a Protein shake. I'm too tight in the morning to enjoy Breakfast, and it's helpful for me to get a chunk of my Protein requirement out of the way early. The slimfast cans are easy and quick and they fill me up for hours.

:)