Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do protein shakes make you gain weight????

It's my understanding that Protein shakes are good during the liquid/mushy stage but after that my doctor said NO MORE. He said the band only works with real food, no liquid calories.

That worked OK for me before my first fill, but now I've had to go back to Protein Shakes in the morning - I just can't get "real food" down at that time.

Also, before my first fill I lost weight during the liquid phase and a little during the mushy stage but only maintained during regular food stage.

After your first fill you'll start seeing the downward pattern on your scale and you will need to see what works for you food-wise in the am. I wouldn't worry about being at a standstill at this point. I don't think it's the Protein shakes, you just may need a fill at the 6 week post op.

Wishing you the best in finding what works for you!;-)

That is honestly scary that your Doc would say that about protein shakes. How does he know you, or any of his other patients, are getting enough protein? My Doc wants us to have protein shakes because we aren't getting enough protein without them! The fact that he discourages them like that is frightening.

You'd have a heart attack here then, lol. In Australia, they're barely even mentioned. Protein is not the big thing at all, other than the fact that liquid calories need to be abandoned after the liquid phase of the diet.

It's honestly not a big deal. You get enough Protein if you eat well.

You'd have a heart attack here then, lol. In Australia, they're barely even mentioned. Protein is not the big thing at all, other than the fact that liquid calories need to be abandoned after the liquid phase of the diet.

It's honestly not a big deal. You get enough Protein if you eat well.

It is a big deal because when you are on a clear liquid diet for a month, you would be a super-hero if you could manage to get enough protein to meet the needs of your body. Not to mention the life-long reduced food intake which many times, despite your best efforts to eat in a healthy way, doesn't supply your body with enough protein and Vitamins.

Of course eating well will eliminate/reduce many of the things our doctor's have us do (the 14 Vitamins a day to start), but many people are restricted enough to not eat enough to meet the needs of their body. It seems as though many of the people on here have to supplement their diets with protein shakes, so I doubt not getting enough protein is some wacky concern.

I am just on my clear liquid diet. I make sure and drink all my Water and other fluids too. I am still recuperating, so I am not really walking or anything, but I think it is mostly water weight. I knew I would lose 20-30 pounds quickly with the elimination of pop and all the sugar I would eat before! I anticipate the weight loss slowing down.

Well good job!! Happy loosing and keep up on the Water (my biggest problem)!! I have felt discouraged in the past few days because I haven't lost anything and I am still on liquids. That's why I was asking about the Protein Shakes. I am not sure what to do to keep it up, but I am sure it will come to me!

Oh - well Clear Liquids for a month is a different matter entirely. I was on Clear Liquids for a day. Why for a whole month?

There honestly is no rhyme nor reason to what different doctors recommend. Of course on a long term bandster diet you're going to be running low on nearly everything, which is why supplementing is important but honestly, today I've had some yogurt, some cottage cheese and am about to eat some tuna for dinner, I'd think Protein was probably the least of my worries. I'm more concerned about the reduced amount of fruit and vegetables.

Not intended to be a debate though - you go with what your doctor and your body decides is best.

I am in Australia and the Protein Shake wasnt really pushed to me either. By both the Dr and dietician it was really only necessary during the liquid stage after that its not mentioned. I have not had a Protein shake since a couple of weeks after surgery. I try and get my protein from solid food, it works most days. :)

I posted the same time and just seen a month of clear fluids also. I too was only on clear fluids the day after surgery, then I was on full liquids for a week or so then mushies. By week 3 I was on solids...it must be different over here. We all have to go by what our own Dr says, each one is different.

My doctor has great success and has a nutrionist on staff who flies all over the country helping other bariatric patients with their nutrition needs, so I trust what he says. The nutrionist also had gastric bypass sugery a few years ago, so it is nice to speak to someone who knows (really knows) what she is talking about and to see what she uses and does.

The one month is probably there to be extra safe in making sure your body is ready and the band is in place. I know there are other surgeons who do the one month clear liquid diet, but I do believe one month is the longest I have heard.

Of course getting enough Protein isn't priority number 1, which is why I am required to take 14 Vitamins a day. Depending upon my bloodwork, I might be adding vits A and D in March. I know the surgeon and nutritionist I work with are working on their own study (how scientific I do not know) with patients and their bloodwork and deciding upon the best plan of vits to start out with. Right now banders don't have to use vits A and D unless their first round of post-op bloodwork shows a deficiency. Based on this study, they might make it mandatory.

BTW, I haven't started my Protein or vits, I don't start until friday, so I can't speak to whether this would hamper weight loss. I do know you need to be careful with the different Protein shakes. Some are designed to be Meal Replacements, some have lots of sugar, etc. I have a low carb, low sugar protein shake I will use that seems to be the most popular up here in this area.

Here is some great info on protein: "Protein are major contributors to nearly every cell and have a significant role in developing and repairing bone, muscle, skin and blood cells. They are also key elements of antibodies that protect us from disease, hormones that regulate body function and enzymes that control chemical activity in the body. Protein also aids in the transport of oxygen, and nutrients to all body cells and supply another source of energy to cells when fats and carbohydrates are not readily available. Adequate amounts of protein in one’s diet are vital to many of the body’s functions and to survival."

More here: http://www.headbattles.com/bariatricprotien.htm

Right now I am making a real effort to get in my Protein. Protien is not only great for muscle retention while losing weight, it is also needed to keep your lovely locks (hair, is that one spelled diffrently, I digress). My hair started coming out by full strands 5 months out from my surgery. The protien shakes are the best way for me to get in the 60 to 70grams of protien.

Someone said they have the morning restriction, oh my goodness, yesss. I think I am more restricted on weekend mornings then weekdays. No really I guess it is because I have time to cook a big Breakfast therefore, I want to eat it. Saturday I finally got my sense back and cooked an egg and had 2 tbls applesauce with it. It went down great and I was happy so I fixed another egg. During the week I am drinking slim fast now for the 10g of protien. I will have another one for lunch and some chicken as a snack today.

The nutrionist also had gastric bypass sugery a few years ago, so it is nice to speak to someone who knows (really knows) what she is talking about and to see what she uses and does.

Okay, here's the big difference between the band and the bypass. MOST bandsters do not need to take a bunch of supplements/vitamins. ALL bypass patients MUST (to maintain their optimum health, anyway).

The protocols for bandsters vs bypass are very different. If a bandster can't get in all the Vitamins etc that they need, and are NOT meeting their caloric requirements on a daily basis once they start back on solid food, then THEY ARE TOO TIGHT.

Bypass patients, however, WILL have a major caloric/vitamin deficiency, because their surgery cuts out some of the small intestine. The caloric deficiency usually resolves itself after about two years, as the body learns to adjust. However, the Vitamin deficiency is PERMANENT

It is unfortunate that some medical professionals still seem to be unaware of some of the major points of departure between the band and the bypass.

This question really bothers me because it implies so little knowledge of the real battle. I say this with much love, but the only thing that makes you gain weight is daily consuming more calories than you burn. "Shakes" are irrelevant in general, but the calories they contain contribute to your daily intake.

Teresa, this would have been my first response, as well. There is no way for KT to know that you "know" this based on your initial post.

I read many frightening posts where it sounds as though people have gotten banded with absolutely no prior research, because they ask some of the very most common and basic questions. There ARE people who, in spite of a lifetime of obesity, do not seem to understand the basics of nutrition. So when basic nutritional questions are asked, one assumes the poster is one of those.

Just my two cents.

That is honestly scary that your Doc would say that about Protein shakes. How does he know you, or any of his other patients, are getting enough Protein? My Doc wants us to have Protein Shakes because we aren't getting enough protein without them! The fact that he discourages them like that is frightening.[/quote

Who knew Protein shakes would cause such a debate, huh. Anyways, like I wrote in my original post - my doc said they were good during the liquid/mushy stages, just not after that when you are to be getting your protein from food. The whole point in having a band is to stay fuller longer and I think his point is how can that be acheived on liquids.

It just concerns me with Protein shakes to see people forgeo other good foods thinking the only thing they have to consider is Protein. And I agree totally with Donali, I think lots of surgeons tend to think of bandsters a bit like bypass patients.

Do you guys have the 2 fruit, 5 veg a day campaign over there? Fresh fruit and veges are so vital for your health, they prevent all types of cancers etc etc, it worries me that I cant get that much in now, I'm way more paranoid about that than protein. And Calcium - man, no way can I get in all the milk and yogurt I need either. Not that I ever did, I dont like dairy products very much, apart from cheese.

Not that I'm right, I'm no medical professional but I think once your banded its vitally important to eat a wide variety of foods - I'm finding a tendency to eat the same thing for 3 days becuase of the small serving I now take, and that's not good - you need a little bit of everything!