Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2010 Bandsters out there?

Hey y'all! I go in tomorrow for my pre-op and then get "banned" on December 22. I teach so I don't have to worry about being back at work until January 3. My surgery is being done by Dr. Warnock in Wichita Falls (a three-hour drive, one way). I'm nervous and excited!

My heaviest point was in July at 231 and as of today I am down to 201. My goal is to be around 125 (I'm 5'1"). Having surgery because of multiple reasons, the most important one being healthy for my five-year-old daughter; also, while I'm overall very healthy, that cholesterol was starting to creep up and there is a history of heart disease in the family. I've fought my weight all my life and finally decided I needed the band to help me continue the fight.

Looking forward to keeping up with my fellow December lap-banders! Feel free to email me. :)

Hello,

Well, I ate the wrong food today and vomited! :( I am almost 3 weeks out from surgery and THOUGHT I could eat a little deli turkey and roast beef with a bite of bread, WRONG! I have officially retreated back to a soft diet! I was feeling "normal" and thought I'd eat a little bit of a sandwich. I hadn't vomited since 1988! :o I have started working out at a gym and feel great. I am doing the elliptical and weight machines minus the abdominal machines.

Hi everybody, well I got my band on Friday Dec 17th around 6pm. Dr said he had no problems with me. That's a good thing, when I started to see my dr about getting the lapband I was weighing in at 368lbs. This Saturday morning the 18th the nurses made me get on a scale and I was shocked I was 341lbs

SWWEEEEET!

Well i got released Saturday from the hospital and came home I tried sleeping in my bed and I could it's too soft and it was a double pillow top so it's very uncomfortable. So I slept in a recliner didn't sleep much but I feel rested with very lil pain soooo tats good.

I do have a question to ask everyone

SHOWER?

HOW SOON

ANY STEPS I NEED TO TAKE

THANKS

Your hospital should have written post op instructions for you regarding when you can shower among other things. My directions said I could shower at 48 hours, and to not scrub at my abdomen with a wash cloth. My incisions were covered only with dermabond.

It seems lots of us are enjoying our Beans and bean soups/chile. Wendy's chili is yummy and went down with out and problem at all. I had fat free refried beans tonight with red chile and cheese on a broken up tostada shell, this also went (and stayed!) down easily.

I buy small viatmins (adult) for my son that I think would be OK to take, One A Day Esentials, I buy the store brand equivalent. Right now I am chewing a daily chewable Vitamin. Is anyone taking extra Calcium and if so are you using a chewable?

I am determined to try and eat as well rounded of a diet as possible including a small amount of grain products each day as my diet progresses. I know and am glad I won't eat nearly the amount of carbs that I used to eat but feel a small amount of grains are important for vitamin requirements and overall health and wellbeing. I feel ill if I eat only Protein, veggies and fruit.

Joan

Hello all! I haven't been banded yet but I'm scheduled for the 21st. I'm happy/nervous/excited/worried. Thank you all for your support!

Joan- my NUT said to start Calcium supplements when I'm on soft foods, next week, and she gave me a 30 day supply of them and we have a meeting after they are done to make sure I'm getting enoughcalcium in my diet before I stop taking them...I love cheese, milk, yogurt so I doubt it will be a problem but I will take them- hello they taste like guilt free chocolate! :)

Good luck lavender, you will do fine :)

OH and now that I'm on pureed I love my stick blender, best gift ever! Any other ideas then soup/chili/chowders I can mash to pieces (and less then) with it?

Just wanted to say hi! I was banded yesterday and things went well. I also apparently had a hiatal hernia repair (did not even know I had one). But I am doing well, no gas pains, just some pain at the incision sites. I can only have Clear Liquids (at least til Saturday, it is supposed to be a week, but my nutritionist said, if I feel ok at 5 days I could start full liquids.) I will see how it goes. Yesterday all I had was a little broth, and some SF popsicles, because I figures it would help my throat, and and of course waters. I am not hungry yet, but maybe today I will try a little of the Unjury chicken Soup flavor, so I can at least get a little Protein in.

Hello,

Congratulations to all the new bandsters!

Joan- my NUT said to start Calcium supplements when I'm on soft foods, next week, and she gave me a 30 day supply of them and we have a meeting after they are done to make sure I'm getting enoughcalcium in my diet before I stop taking them...I love cheese, milk, yogurt so I doubt it will be a problem but I will take them- hello they taste like guilt free chocolate! :)

Good luck lavender, you will do fine :)

OH and now that I'm on pureed I love my stick blender, best gift ever! Any other ideas then soup/chili/chowders I can mash to pieces (and less then) with it?

What brand of calcium chews are you using? I drink milk and eat cottage cheese daily but I need to supplement to reach the 1200-1500 mg of calcium recommendation.

Have a great day,

Joan

chewable ones from healthy u..its a health store in my town that has all natural and more healthy choices, plus they have an entire bariatric section of supplements so my NUT really likes them...I would assume caltrate is just as good, just as long and they have enough Calcium per tablet to get u to that goal

I ate my first real thing since my surgery on the 15th . I am starting my soft diet today and i was hungry so went to taco bell and got refried Beans with a side of sour cream and a side of nacho cheese sauce and some mild sauce. It was soo good and it made me feel normal again, besides protien shakes and juice thats all i had today so im not worried about the fat im just recomending it as something that will stay down well for me.

Jake,

Watch the slippery slope there. If you know taco bell will go down easy and there are ten taco bells in as many square miles, don't let it be something you turn to easily.

I buy vegetarian fat free Refried Beans and sprinkle a bit of cheese on the top - delicious.

I'm wondering if anyone had trouble with their vision after survey. I wear glasses but since yesterday I seem to bee having difficulties seeing like I did before. I have needed to go to the ophthomologidt and get a new perscroptoon. Anyone else have any vision problems

Good luck with your surgery LavenderBrown. I hope it all goes smoothly for you. I was banded on the 17th December.

Thank you Eleni! I had it yesterday and it went well. After the sugary I thought "WHAT have I DONE!" but when my supportive husband and beautiful 2 year old daughter came to pick me up I knew it was going to be worth it. I have no doubts today and am ready for this big change.

i am finally on the banded side. i had surgery yesterday. it went well and i am glad i had it done. i have been feeling pretty good. the drive home has made a bit stiff and sore. glad to be on the banded side!:D

well today was my first week post op.... i am down 19lbs !!!!!!! I couldnt ask for anything else this Christmas !!! i also go to my PCP for check up because I am done with 2 of my blood pressure pills !!!!!!!!!! i have been on and off bp pills for 10 years and this my friend is the LAST time !!

my surgen couldnt belive I have been doing my wii fit for 5 days now. i walk 6-7 blocks and work out for 20 mins a day I dont feel like I just had surgery 10 days ago..

i am now on mushie yea !!! so life is GREAT !!!

hope all is well with everyone else

Amy