Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico Doctors

If banded in Mexico, (specifically interested in Ortiz) has anyone spoken to him about all of the erosion issues. I know La Madam has spoken to him about hers (since he is her dr) but has anyone told him of all the problems. I'd just kind of like an explanation as to what we (those that were banded by him) can expect.

Any ideas? I am game to call him if no one else has.

If you talk to him, let us know. I think that I am a Mexico (Ortiz) patient and I am SKEEEERED of what is going to happen to me in the future! So many Mexico erosions lately and I am freaking!

Any ideas? I am game to call him if no one else has.

Dr O does seem to have done right by Michelle and her band removal. From what I've seen so far his office is very fair about taking care of problems. When I had to go back to have some fill removed the only charge was $30 for the fluoro and they fit me in within the week. (Dr M came in early.)

But I also would be interested in hearing what he has to say, so I vote for YOU calling him! We'll look for your report.

:)

There is a post by Sandy on the OCC website talking about erosion. ..."First, please let me say that Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez are always available to their patients to answer questions and address any concerns. Every patient should always know that they are welcome to call either doctor at any time.

Now to the subject of erosion…

Erosions though rare, are a possible complication of the Lap-Band. In the general population the rate of erosion can be less than 1% or as high as 3%. It appears that the rate is affected by the length of experience of the surgeon, though no one knows why this is. Just due to the statistics, a surgeon that has performed a high number of surgeries will see a higher number of erosions than a surgeon that has performed a lower number. There is no definitive answer of what causes erosion other than in certain patients their body reacts to the band as a foreign object. It is not yet known why this occurs. Currently the only way we know to guarantee an erosion will not occur is to not have a band placed.

The Inamed Lap-Band is exactly the same product in Mexico as in the U.S. except the port, which is smaller, but of the same material. The placement technique taught and used by Dr. Ortiz and other Inamed proctors are uniform throughout the world.

The speculations once thought to be true that certain medications or a band that was adjusted too tightly caused erosion, is not supported by the evidence. This was disproved as erosion occurs at the outer edge of the band.

What we do know is that most erosions occur within the first 2 years of placement. After that, the prevalence of erosion drastically diminishes. When an erosion is detected later, it was usually present within the first 24 months but most probably went undetected.

Because of the intense follow performed with our patients at Obesity Control Center through the use of fluoroscopy and endoscopy, we have found that we are able to achieve an early diagnosis of erosion. When an erosion is treated swiftly by a surgeon experienced in removing an eroded band, there is a high likelihood of a good outcome and a new band can usually be placed about 6 months after removal. The current re-erosion rate seen in these patients is still low. The possibility of re-erosion is discussed with the patient prior to the second band placement. An expert surgeon should perform the second band placement as this is a technically challenging surgery.

There are other practices that may not provide the same intense follow up and fewer studies are routinely performed, thus resulting in less detection of erosions. Common sense tells us that these erosions will eventually become more prevalent and apparent, as symptoms will later appear.

In the event an erosion occurs, band removal should be performed by an expert surgeon, as this is a very technically challenging surgery. It can and is performed safely via a laporscopic approach in the hands of an expert surgeon, resulting in a less invasive procedure and shorter recovery time for the patient. "

Thank you so much for posting the information from Sandy. I do agree that Dr. O and Dr. M have done well by Michelle and me for that matter. They have always been 100% available.

I researched the lapband extensively for a long time before deciding on Dr. Ortiz. I have been so happy with my results. I am only about 10 pounds from goal and I feel like a new person. I knew all the possible complications, but I am human, and I still worry when I read about 9 ladies who have recently experienced erosion. I actually still have fears and concerns. I have spoken with Rene and Sandy at OCC. They have on record 7 patients that have experienced erosion. (Per Sandy) I understand that the number of complications will rise as the surgeon performs more and more surgeries. So, for a surgeon like Dr. Ortiz, who has done approximately 2 thousand surgeries, 7 erosions is not that many. I think that comes to less than one half of a percent. The national average reported by Inamed is somewhere like 1-3%. I appreciated their honesty when I called, and their quick response to me.

I am returning this week for a follow up visit and I will ask more questions. I may ask for an endoscopy, as I have had the band almost exactly one year. The risk of complications will always be there; would I do it again? Absolutely!

Hello everyone. I am sorta new, sorta old to the board. Before I had my surgery, I used to post and ask questions, can't remember my dang screen name though, so I started over. I was banded by Dr. Ortiz 6/20/05, and I have felt great. Yesterday however, I ran into someone in Curves, who had her surgery last year, and had her band removed by Kaiser for erosion. She showed me the endoscopy pictures. BLECH!! Scared me. Funny thing is, she couldn't tell me exactly who the Dr. was who did it down there. I could tell it wasn't Dr. Ortiz, because he is a few thousand more than what she paid. But why would you not research the hell out of a Dr. before going there? Anyway...I am calling to find out if there are endoscopy checkups today, and what it takes to get one. I have always felt more trust in Dr. Ortiz and Martinez, than I do with my Dr. here. I am going to watch this post, and thanks for writing ladies, I needed the support after seeing that!

Banded 6/20/06

Start 300/250/goal weight, never to have a double chin in a picture again!