Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help ..... Please help me???????

I know this may sound really crazy but i dont know if I am not just getting it or is it's the old habits controlling my thoughts. I am 2 weeks post op today. I have no clue exactly what i should be eating. I ate a bake potato for lunch and feel really bad ....I know I should stay away from crabs but at this point i can really only eat soft foods. Also should i be on Protein Shakes daily? Are they necessary at this point? JUST PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INSITE OF WHERE I SHOULD BE GOING WITH THIS. I dont feel i am losing..I would love to be down 35lbs by my birthday January 25, 2011....

I know this may sound really crazy but i dont know if I am not just getting it or is it's the old habits controlling my thoughts. I am 2 weeks post op today. I have no clue exactly what i should be eating. I ate a bake potato for lunch and feel really bad ....I know I should stay away from crabs but at this point i can really only eat soft foods. Also should i be on Protein shakes daily? Are they necessary at this point? JUST PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INSITE OF WHERE I SHOULD BE GOING WITH THIS. I dont feel i am losing..I would love to be down 35lbs by my birthday January 25, 2011....

Dear Sdart--congrats on the banding. I know just how you feel---this is more than just another way of dieting but a lifestyle change. I am thankful that my doctor has provided good direction thus far on my diet. I'm into the "mushy" phase II. On my restricted diet list is: greek yogurt, baked white fish (cod, talapia) chicken/egg and tuna salads (made with low fat mayo), cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, ground chicken/turkey w/gravy, for the Proteins and then for fruits/veggies/starches. . . .applesauce, banana, canned peaches/pears, cream of wheat, oatmeal, mashed potato w/gravy, white rice, steamed carrots/green beans/pease. The ratio is two options from the Protein group and then if I'm still hungry add one from the fruit/veggies/starches groups. Suprisingly, this has provided some variety to mix it up. They also have me drinking 80 oz of Water (which you can mix w/crystal light, etc) per day. I hope this helps you! Good luck!

Wow this information is very informative for me.... I just have the thought that it''s carbs because my Dr. is so big on carbs... He wants 30 carbs a day which limits choices. I am even afraid of fruits because a lot are high in carbs. I guess if i avoid all sugars and make small portions than i should be fine. I really have not eaten much but i dont feel comfortable in my decisions. Thank you so much

Wow this information is very informative for me.... I just have the thought that it''s carbs because my Dr. is so big on carbs... He wants 30 carbs a day which limits choices. I am even afraid of fruits because a lot are high in carbs. I guess if i avoid all sugars and make small portions than i should be fine. I really have not eaten much but i dont feel comfortable in my decisions. Thank you so much

Glad it helps. My doctor has a similar restriction on carbs. carbs need to be under 10grams per meal and same thing with sugar--under 10grams too. He doesn't want any Protein shakes b/c they will go right through the system. He also has me stop drinking Water 1/2 before I eat and don't start until a 1/2 hour after i eat. . . otherwise it will flush the food that i do eat right through my system. Takes alittle bit getting used too, but it has definately helped. My doctor REALLY pushes the Proteins, that comes first. At phase II, they recommend that I get around 70 grams of Protein in. I can drink milk (1% or skim) and that counts for both beverage and protein. What I found to help is with Greek yogurt, for example, I will take a serving and mix some vanilla flavoring in it and i will also add a teaspoon of powdered milk---it gives me a little extra protein too. If i make tuna/egg or chicken salads, i also mix some extra shreeded lowfat cheese into it and it gets me some extra protein. The big push for the Water is that carbs contain more water than Proteins. . . so with pushing high protein and low carbs, you have to make sure you are providing your body with enough liquids, otherwise you can dehydrate yourself. And on top of it all. . . . required 60 minutes of walking. I have a treadmill in the basement. I have not done 60 minutes all at once. . . i break it up into small amounts. So for example, while my dinner is baking, I'll grab 15 minutes there. After dinner, I'll grab maybe 20 minutes before i begin my "veg out" mode for the evening, I grab 15 minutes in the morning before i shower. . . when you break it up it makes it a whole lot easier to get it all in.

I need help im on day 9 post op i was banded on nov.23rd. My doctors office has'nt been very helpful im still on pure liquids and i feel very weak and tired. Im drinking all day Water sugar free drinks and lots of broth. When do i get real food like puree or mushie foods? When does the bandage over the port come off? My doctors sent me an email on list of do's and dont's and thats about it so will some one please help me.

Did you speak with a nutritionist prior to surgery? If so, contact that person. If not, call your surgeon and ask.

mdscott: I am sorry that your doctor doesn't seem to communicate as well as mine. Mine gave me a handbook, journaling logs, and required that I meet with the nutritionist before surgery for a 3 hour class about diet post op...and I STILL have questions. I was able to start soft/mushy diet on week 2 (8th day post op). I have seen where some surgeons require a full 2 weeks on liquid, but mine didn't. Each doctor is different. I think you should call your doctor today and ask how long you have to stay on liquids. Maybe you are ready to start soft/mushy and that will help, I think. Then you can start blending up some chicken and tuna and other real Proteins that will give you some energy. skramer106 posted a good variety of softy/mushy choices, which were very similar to my list (minus the rice and some veggies). Remember that all of those must be smashed up or finely blended. "You shouldn't have to chew" during soft/mushy phase is what my nutritionist said. If you have to stay on liquids for a little longer, try some cream based Soups. Cream of chicken (strain out the chuncks of chicken) tasted much better to me than broth and is more filling. The main page of this website also breaks down each phase pretty well for food guidelines. Good luck and hang in there. Advocate for yourself. Demand specific information if they have not provided it!