Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Bander 12-22-05

Hello Everyone-

I just recently had the lap band on 12-22-5 and was releashed from the hospital on 12-24-05 (I know it stinks...right before christmas lol). I'm doing really well except I feel bloated all the time and kinda like a heart burn, is this normal? I'm new to this and dont really know anyone whos had this procedure, so I'm looking for a little guidence here. Is this because of the gas they used during the surgery and if so how long should it last? What things can I expect and when should I start expecting signs of weight loss? I'm not having really any problems with hungery until everyone around me starts to eat, then I just whip out a shake or some Soup and my hunger is gone rather fast. I would really like to get to know some of you better that are experiencing what I am and who have been through this already. Look forward to talking to you guys! Merry Christmas!!

-Julie

Welcome to bandland. You are brave - coming home from the hospital for the holidays. Everyone has different experiences post surgery. I didn't have heartburn but had shoulder pain for 6 weeks from the gas.

You should read the threads here on the healing process but I"ll try to quick summarize. For the next few weeks, your body will be healing from surgery. You willl lose weight and may not have much of an appetite. As you progress to mushies and back to solids, you will have more of an appetite and may gain back some of the weight loss.

Some people continue to have restriction after they heal from surgery. For most of us, our band is on vacation until properly filled. Use this time to practice good bandster rules - some typically given by surgeons include chewing every bite 25 times, small bites, 60-100 grams of Protein a day, etc.

Good luck. Celeste

Congratualtions Julie and Merry Christmas!! That was a great gift you gave yourself, a band. This website is great, I found it before my surgery and it was so helpful than and all the way up until now.

After surgery I did have the bloated and sholder pain due to the gas used. Lots of walking and chewable gas x helpd the pain but it still last for a few weeks. Your focus right now is your Water, sip, sip, sip all day, trying to get 64oz in you. As far as weight lost, it will come, your body right now will feel like it is being starved and will hold on to the weight and therefore may come off slowly. But if you pair your new liquid diet with walking your body will have no choice but go and use the stored fat to help speed up your weight loss process. Are you on Clear Liquids? If so for how long. Check out the food thread, there are liquid diet suggestions.

Some people have restrriction right away and some people won't have it until 2 to 4 fills. The liquid stage is to allow your body to rest and heal after surgery. Drink slowly, crush meds just do what your doctor told you.

Good Luck and we are all here for you.

Hi Julie I too was banded on 12-22. This site is very good and I have learned a lot before I has my surgery. The bloating and gas is normal and it will pass. I am taking gas x which has helped me. My bloating has gone down and yesterday I was able to walk twice around my block with my girls. Christmas was hard but I know this will be all worth it in the end. Congratulations and think how awesome we are going to look this time next year.

Karla