Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swallowing gum

I'm not banded yet, but early on in life I got into the habit of swallowing my gum. I don't chew it very often, but when I do about 75% of the time I swallow it out of habit.

Anyone know what happens if you swallow it with the band?

My surgeon suggested that I not chew gum in the event that it may be swallowed. From what he told me, it's not good to swallow gum after being banded. I've never been one to swallow it so I still chew it to avoid bad breath.

I chew gum alot.. However, I am adjusted not too tight and have a feeling it would go down. Chewing a big wad of gum probably, in my case, would not be a great idea. Something more like Trident (smaller) piece is ok. Those who are on the "tighter" side probably would have more risk as I don't think gum breaks apart so easy and then there is ONLY ONE WAY OUT!

My doc too advised against gum -- but shhhh I chew it still. I wouldn't swallow it on purpose though. I think if I did I would be nervous, but at the same time, I feel like it would go through........do you mean to swallow it when you do, or do you do it by mistake?

Sometimes I mean to, but sometimes I just do it by accident. The bigger the piece, the less likely I am to do it by accident.

My Dr is against chewing gum. He says that you swallow air while chewing gum... and it can cause indegestion. Also if you swallow it it can get stuck and be the worst PB in band history. I chew it but am ever so careful not to swallow it! Also sugar free gum for me!!

Well a week after I was banded I swallowed my gum and FREAKED out! But it was a small piece of gum...not a huge chunk of bubble gum and I drank some hot tea once I got home and drank some hot Soup later on and it was fine (this was pre-fill) but I do make myself aware of the fact that I am chewing gum now and the moment I think about the gum is when I spit it out. I carry mints now instead of the gum or a breath spray. It's just easier doing that than having to always worry about it. It's ok every now and then, especially when offered gum when with friends...I never turn it down....that's rude but I chew for a little bit and get rid of it soon after. So just be careful if you do but try your hardest to avoid it.

I couldn't imagine swallowing gum, I'd be so afraid my innards would stick together, that's what my grandma said 50 years ago, LOL.

I couldn't imagine swallowing gum, I'd be so afraid my innards would stick together, that's what my grandma said 50 years ago, LOL.

Pat you crack me up!!!! You know grandmas know best!!! LOL!!!! :)

I thought when you were a child and discovered chewing gum/bubble gum the number one parental rule was DO NOT SWALLOW. Gum was meant to chew not swallow. Oh yeah and my grandma told me the same thing, that my insides would stick together lol,lol

My surgeon never said anything for or against it. My fill doctor told me never to swallow it because it could get stuck and I would have to go the emergency to have it removed! That scared me a little but I don't think I could live without chewing gum!

I dont chew gum or swallow it. I dont remember my dr telling me not to but I prefer other things to use for breath. I am thinking it would get stuck. I never swallowed it before I had the band.

My surgeon told me that if I swallowed bubble gum and combined it with reflux that I could wake up in the middle of the night and have a bubble burst all over my face.

OK...that was lame.