Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can i take ibuprofen for sore throat after the lap band surgery?

Please, i need some help, this is the second week of surgery, can i take ibuprofen for sore throat ?

tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory...i already took vicodin, but didn't work

Take Tylenol.

tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory...i already took vicodin, but didn't work, thanks :(

I did a Goggle search and read three different places it is OK for Lap-Band as long you you do not have prior stomache ulcer issues. Gastric Bypass can never take NSAIDS, but Lap Band folks seem to be ok. One doctor's site said it is ok, but may irritate some patient's stomaches during recovery. He recommended liquid ibuprofen on his site saying it works better for some patients than narcotic pain meds for pain management during rcovery.

Please, i need some help, this is the second week of surgery, can i take ibuprofen for sore throat ?

I just had my lapband surgry yesterday and I am unable to take aleve so the doctor told me to take the ibuprofen that I have. I had recently gotten over strep throat before my surgery and I have 800 milligram ibuprophen left and he said for me to take that for the pain....I have been taking and it really seems to work.

Good luck!!

It's so interesting how different each surgeon is. My surgeon and nutritionist said I could never take Ibuprofen again (or other NSAIDS). They said it would cause ulcers in the stomach pouch and to only take Tylenol. I see that other surgeons say it is okay. That's frustrating that there is so much inconsistency. I wonder if Chloroseptic spray or throat lozenges would help. I also found sugar-free 25 calorie Swiss Miss hot chocolate. Sipping on something warm always helps (maybe chicken broth). It's always better to call your surgeon's office and see what they can recommend though.

You may also need to see your regular doctor to make sure that you don't have strep or other throat infection. I just saw that you are on your second week post op. I'm thinking throat pain from the surgery shouldn't still be that bad. Just a thought.

My doctor did tell me I could take NSAIDS. Personally I had an health issue pre surgery which I think was related to taking a perscripton NSAID for joint pain. I had a stroke which the doctors can't find a concrete cause for. I had been on the perscription NSAID for a year. Earlier this year there was a study released that people who take NSAIDS over a period of time are more likely to have heart attacks and strokes. So now I don't take NSAIDS at all!

Thanks my good friends, I feel much better now. I talked with my doctor and he prescribed for me Sudaded and Tylenol.

I did a Goggle search and read three different places it is OK for Lap-Band as long you you do not have prior stomache ulcer issues. Gastric Bypass can never take NSAIDS, but Lap Band folks seem to be ok. One doctor's site said it is ok, but may irritate some patient's stomaches during recovery. He recommended liquid ibuprofen on his site saying it works better for some patients than narcotic pain meds for pain management during rcovery.