Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Half-compliments, anyone else sick of them?

Sign in to follow this  

You know - I think one thing that I am most excited about (you know beyond the being healthy parts) - at least a physical part I'm happy about. I'm ready for a full compliment not a half-one. Anyone who has gotten half compliments knows exactly what I'm saying. The "oh you have a beautiful face" or the "dude your sister would be perfect if she'd lose some weight" :angry: ... Anyone else sick of them? I am a phenomenal, beautiful person despite their sideways view of me. I'm just happy that my outer body will soon match the spunk from my inner soul. :D

A half compliment is better than none. Right? But I know what you mean. I used to crave a compliment when I was heavy just to counteract what I knew was the truth. That I didn't look so hot. Now that I'm thin, I still don't get many compliments but I don't crave them as much 'cause I know that I really look OK. A size six looks much better in clothing than a 20, right? My face looks better too, even though I'm not a looker. People react more kindly towards me, which I take as a compliment. Clerks in stores don't ignore me anymore, people hold doors open for me, crack jokes to me, flirt with me, and it feels really good. Strangers will always be shallow and judge you on your outer appearance, 'cause they don't know your insides. Someday, with the help of the band, you can experience that too. I hope you'll get more "full" compliments than i do. In part it's the company i keep, and i may just need more complimentary friends. I give out lots of compliments, only the full kind....

Good luck on your journey,

Thank you Annie! And congrats on your progess. Yes, a half compliment is better than none but it's kind of a pointless start. Just makes you feel worse about not getting a full one... haha.

LOL! I LOVE those (sarcasm). It's the thought that counts, but it seems like the compliment makes you feel worse when you hear something like, "You know, you may be heavy, but you're still a beautiful girl." Thanks, it's sweet, but couldn't you leave the "you know, you may be heavy but..." out. I already know I'm fat. It's the "beautiful" part that so many of us don't believe, even when it's true. That's one of those compliments that go into the same category as, "She's a genius, but she has absolutely no common sense." What's the point of being a genius with no common sense...what's the point of being beautiful if the first thing everyone notices is how fat you are. I'd rather they just keep their mouths shut even though they mean well. These kinds of compliments just make me feel worse.

Yeah, I have heard that a lot...you have such a pretty face....gee thanks....even my kids (very young and not meaning anything by it) "I love you no matter what you look like." They sincerely mean it but still....I also don't crave compliments anymore though but it's because I am filling myself up on the inside with positive ideas and dreams. I know there is more to me than my appearance and even though my self esteem has come so far, it's still annoying when people give me dirty looks at the gym or the movie theater.

I get what you mean though, it used to bug me a lot to hear what a pretty face I have...

My sister in law & I have the same name, Julie, well I had a family friend who said "You may be the heavier Julie, but you have the prettier face". Wow, I didn't even know what to say after that one.

LOL! I LOVE those (sarcasm). It's the thought that counts, but it seems like the compliment makes you feel worse when you hear something like, "You know, you may be heavy, but you're still a beautiful girl." Thanks, it's sweet, but couldn't you leave the "you know, you may be heavy but..." out. I already know I'm fat. It's the "beautiful" part that so many of us don't believe, even when it's true. That's one of those compliments that go into the same category as, "She's a genius, but she has absolutely no common sense." What's the point of being a genius with no common sense...what's the point of being beautiful if the first thing everyone notices is how fat you are. I'd rather they just keep their mouths shut even though they mean well. These kinds of compliments just make me feel worse.

LOL YES - this is exactly what I'm talking about. People are funny.