Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dec. 13th is my day, Diet starts tomorrow..and I am ready!

I got a call today to set up my surgery date! Dec. 13th! Yay!

Tomorrow I start my liquid diet!

I am really excited and not at all nervous yet!

Anyone else going to be banded on this day??

I have to say that this, although a long time coming, has been pretty painless and smooth as far as getting to this point! Ready for the next chapter!

Any advice?

Congrats on having your date!

I started my pre-op diet 2 weeks prior to my surgery on 10/23. Beginning 2 weeks prior to surgery, I have tracked my calories every day and stayed between 750-850 every day (the first couple weeks after surgery, I had a hard time getting over 600 calorie, but Doc said that is fine as long as I was getting at least 50 grams of Protein in.)

My best advise to you is "act as if." Act as if you are filled. Small bites the size of an eraser, chew 20-30 times each bite, wait 30 seconds before the next bite goes in your mouth. A lot of folks tend to get frusterated after surgery when they are sort of "in limbo." Surgery has come and gone and they want to be losing weight, but are not. I have seen a lot of discouraged people waiting for that magic first fill to make them lose weight. Then the first fill comes, and they feel like giving up because they don't have the proper restriction yet ... people lose faith that the band will work for them. It can take 3,4,5 fills to get it right.

My first fill was today and am am thrilled. I have lost over 35 lbs already and am feeling great. I don't know yet if I have any restriction because I'm still on fluids only tonight, but if I don't have restriction, oh well, we'll add some in 4 weeks. Restricting your clories forever and ever amen to 800 calories sounds ROUGH, but if you can keep your excitment going and do it a couple to a few months on your own, before you know it, you will be properly filled and the Lap Band will help you maintain those calories without hunger (or minimal).

My two best pieces of advise are

1) Pick up a food processor if you don't already have one. You will be on mushies and soft foods for a long time. It REALLLLLY helped me.

2) Track your calories. You will be suprised how many calories are added/reduced just by making easy choices. For me, it keeps me accountable to myself.

Good luck!!!

Randi in Cali

Mountain girl,

Great advice, thanks!! First day of liquid diet, I get four high Protein slim fasts and raw veggies and I did pretty good. Surprised it sustained me all day but I was told to take them at 8am,1pm, 5pm and 9pm and at the 9pm one I had a sugar free popsicle and some cherry tomatoes and I was good. Bring on day #2. I also purchased a book called A Course in Weightloss by Marianne Williamson and so far it is helping me use my faith to overcome issues or reasons I overeat. I highly recommended for anyone going on a pre-op liquid diet. I listen to a little a day and it is helping keep me inspired. For now...

Thank you girls!!

Mountain Girl!

I'm a mountain girl too! One cool thing I have is an app on my iPad that basically is a food diary! I used one online for years so I am very familar! Keeps track of my exercise as well! Fantastic on the 35lbs down! That is inspirational.

I truly think it is going to be hard for me to learn to chew! I have been trying it but I find I forget about halfway through a meal! Now that I am on just liquids I guess pausing before sips and bites will be what a try! Thanks!

Sabrina :) Did you just grind up your raw veggies?? As of this morning I have had a smootie with Isopure Protein powder. I am heading to the store for a few random goodies soon. My biggest issue is that I am a savory kinda girl and not so much a sweet eater! Most options seem to be sweet things! V8 will be a life saver I think!

AJAMES,

I haven't really munched on raw veggies too much. I ate some cherry tomatoes last night and I did have a sugar free popsicle. That's like a crystal light drink or a diet drink, just frozen, right? I'm doing relatively well, not craving suprisingly. I think I just need to focus on what I want, to be healthy. So far so good. I'll check in tomorrow. Trying to make myself accountable.

AJAMES,

I haven't really munched on raw veggies too much. I ate some cherry tomatoes last night and I did have a sugar free popsicle. That's like a crystal light drink or a diet drink, just frozen, right? I'm doing relatively well, not craving suprisingly. I think I just need to focus on what I want, to be healthy. So far so good. I'll check in tomorrow. Trying to make myself accountable.

Yesterday was so hard for me. But today is much better! I think it is mostly in my mind! I did just heat up a Protein chocolate shake...it tasted great but the texture was awful! Let me know how you are!