Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if you eat a little more than a cup of food?

I normally eat 1 cup of food. Sometimes it is a little bit more, but I make a conscious effort to not go over the 1 cup. So, my question is, is it okay if you eat a little more? If I think that I've eaten a little more than I should, I have something to drink to wash it out of the pouch. How much do you have to overeat for it to affect your pouch? Is it more if you consistently overeat?

Usually I eat between 1/2 cup to 1 cup but I think there may have been time where I went over the cup, like Thanksgiving.

If you are eating more than a cup of food or feel that 1 cup is just not filling you up, then you might need to get an adjustment on the band. You may want to call your Dr to better determine.

Do you have restriction? My doctor has never really gotten into the "cup" business. I am to have 3 oz of Protein and 1 oz of veggies. If you don't have restriction than I don't see a reason to drink Water. The food is already going to slide down to the "big" stomach. By drinking water you are pushing the food through faster and you will be hungry sooner.

My doctor never talked about eating in terms of volume. It was more like 3-4 oz Protein, 1/2-1 cup cooked vegies or a salad and if still hungry 1/4 starch.

If you've eaten more than a cup, then it is what it is, but I wouldn't drink something just to clear out your pouch. If you're worried about 'stretching' your pouch, I would stop worrying.

My doctor never talked about eating in terms of volume. It was more like 3-4 oz Protein, 1/2-1 cup cooked vegies or a salad and if still hungry 1/4 starch.

If you've eaten more than a cup, then it is what it is, but I wouldn't drink something just to clear out your pouch. If you're worried about 'stretching' your pouch, I would stop worrying.

My doctor recommends this same way of eating, Elfie. The only time I eat just 1 cup is if I'm having Soup (with very little/no broth) or refried Beans and cheese for lunch.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your responses. Even though I've only had two fills (1cc each), I normally don't start getting hungy for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. My stomach doesn't growl so loud much like it did early on. I know if I am hearing it, it is getting time for me to eat. I think I do have some info/book from the doctor that mentions amount of food in ounces. I think it is something I need to work on, being careful to eat the right amount.

The lady that has done both of my fills, said it's okay to drink during a meal. That's different than what I hear alot of people saying. ....but, if I'm drinking something with a meal, I still don't get hungry for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

Good luck to you all.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your responses. Even though I've only had two fills (1cc each), I normally don't start getting hungy for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. My stomach doesn't growl so loud much like it did early on. I know if I am hearing it, it is getting time for me to eat. I think I do have some info/book from the doctor that mentions amount of food in ounces. I think it is something I need to work on, being careful to eat the right amount.

The lady that has done both of my fills, said it's okay to drink during a meal. That's different than what I hear alot of people saying. ....but, if I'm drinking something with a meal, I still don't get hungry for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

Good luck to you all.

I used to drink while eating before I got tighter, but you literally will not be able to once you get tight. I would die if I drank something while eating now.