Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another banded newbie

Hi! I'm Lyndsay and I was banded on November 19th. I'm in the Austin, TX area and my surgeon was Dr. Ganta. Surgery went well, though I was only supposed to have one belly button incision and woke up with 3 :( Apparently there was some bleeding to stop and it was an emergency. I'm a little sad because I had hoped to hide my scars and now that won't be possible.

I started my year long insurance approval process at 5'3" and 235 pounds. If I had lost any, insurance likely would not have approved me. Once I got my approval I started my preop diet and exercise and lost 16 pounds. The day of surgery I weighed 219.

The morning after at home I kind of wondered wth I had done- I was in SO much pain. For several days I could barely get down 8 ounces of Water and 20 grams of protein- boy did that kick start weight loss!! I was pretty weak, probably from dehydration and lack of calories. Once my pain subsided and I started with some broths and adequate water the losing 3 pounds a day stopped- LOL. Now at 10 days post op I am at 207 and able to drink my 64 ounces of water and eat a few ounces of very soft food. I feel pretty good, plenty of energy and the pain gets less and less every day.

I'm going back to work tomorrow and I'm a little nervous that I won't have the energy for it. I can work at home part of the day if I need to. We'll see how it goes! I also bought a blender for both of my offices so no matter what location I am at I can have my shakes!

I REALLY wish at my follow up appointment (coming next Friday) that I could have a fill. I feel SO guilty for eating what I have eaten. It's not been HUNGER driving me to eat but that darned emotional attachment to food. Never less..... I'll have to wait 5 long weeks. At least I can get a clearance for the gym soon. I'm ready to blaze my own trail ;) I'm hoping by this time next year I will be at my goal- 150 pounds. Wish me Luck!!

I'm excited to be talking to others in my same circumstances!

Take care!

~Lyndsay

Welcome!

Sorry about the bleeding trouble. I'm sure your scars will fade to nothing-much. Mine did. I had 5 incisions twice and only about three of those are visible. Don't be in too much of a hurry for that first fill, you are still healing. It's important to let yourself heal completely to avoid trouble down the road so follow your doc's instructions about exercise and foods to the letter. (please)

I'd bet you will bypass your goal weight and keep going. I'm 5'7" and 150 and you are just a tiny thing. (soon to really be tiny) I'm four years out from my surgery and the best advise I can give is to be patient with the process and with yourself. You are attempting a major lifestyle change and that is SO difficult. Cut yourself a break when you falter. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back on the "bandwagon" without recriminations. It takes a long time to lose a pound of fat. That's a deficit of 3500 calories. Unless you workout like a mad fool, losing 1-2 lbs a week is just fine. The band really helps with the patience. It keeps you from the "oh what the heck" moments that wreck a weeks efforts.

Good luck on your journey,

Hi! I'm Lyndsay and I was banded on November 19th. I'm in the Austin, TX area and my surgeon was Dr. Ganta. Surgery went well, though I was only supposed to have one belly button incision and woke up with 3 :( Apparently there was some bleeding to stop and it was an emergency. I'm a little sad because I had hoped to hide my scars and now that won't be possible.

I started my year long insurance approval process at 5'3" and 235 pounds. If I had lost any, insurance likely would not have approved me. Once I got my approval I started my preop diet and exercise and lost 16 pounds. The day of surgery I weighed 219.

The morning after at home I kind of wondered wth I had done- I was in SO much pain. For several days I could barely get down 8 ounces of Water and 20 grams of protein- boy did that kick start weight loss!! I was pretty weak, probably from dehydration and lack of calories. Once my pain subsided and I started with some broths and adequate water the losing 3 pounds a day stopped- LOL. Now at 10 days post op I am at 207 and able to drink my 64 ounces of water and eat a few ounces of very soft food. I feel pretty good, plenty of energy and the pain gets less and less every day.

I'm going back to work tomorrow and I'm a little nervous that I won't have the energy for it. I can work at home part of the day if I need to. We'll see how it goes! I also bought a blender for both of my offices so no matter what location I am at I can have my shakes!

I REALLY wish at my follow up appointment (coming next Friday) that I could have a fill. I feel SO guilty for eating what I have eaten. It's not been HUNGER driving me to eat but that darned emotional attachment to food. Never less..... I'll have to wait 5 long weeks. At least I can get a clearance for the gym soon. I'm ready to blaze my own trail ;) I'm hoping by this time next year I will be at my goal- 150 pounds. Wish me Luck!!

I'm excited to be talking to others in my same circumstances!

Take care!

~Lyndsay

Your post was really interesting to me. I just got approved for surgery with Dr. Ganta yesterday, and am scheduled for surgery 12/27/10. I haven't been told the details on my preop expectations yet, Did he want you on a liquid diet, or just puree? How long? I've seen varying periods of time with different doctors. Did you go to North Austin Medical Center? How were they?

I am scheduled to be banded on Monday, the 13th with Dr. Ganta at NAMC. I'd love to hear ALL about your experience with him and the procedure!

At this point, I'm extremely excited but also really nervous. Browsing the forum always makes me a little jittery.

I'm afraid that I haven't been strict enough in my pre-op diet. I have noticed weight loss, but no more than a few pounds. Riverat, the pre-op diet is low carb (30 g), low fat (10 g), and high Protein (70 g) for 2 weeks prior to surgery. Only Clear liquids 24 hours before.

weight.png

Your post was really interesting to me. I just got approved for surgery with Dr. Ganta yesterday, and am scheduled for surgery 12/27/10. I haven't been told the details on my preop expectations yet, Did he want you on a liquid diet, or just puree? How long? I've seen varying periods of time with different doctors. Did you go to North Austin Medical Center? How were they?

I'm being banded on 12/27 too :D

I asked that the preop diet be emailed to me since I have to start that on December 13 and my appointment isn't until December 15. The first week is 2 protien shakes (no more than 200 calories and atleast 15g of protien) and one meal. They gave a list of frozen meals that are acceptable or 4 oz lean protien (fish, chicken, turkey, ham) and 1/2 cup of veggies. Then the second week is 4 protien shakes. I can supplement both weeks with sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, and broth (beef, chicken, or veggie). And I have to drink at least 64 oz of Water a day.

I don't know if yours will be the same or not but that's what my guidelines are. Hope it helps!

Hi Lyndsay, so good to see your story. I too am in Austin.

My sister and I are going through True Results. We just got our insurance approval yesterday. We are very excited. Our surgery is set for Dec. 30th and we just can't wait. We start low carb (Atkins) on Dec. 17th. Can't wait!

We should start a "I'm from Austin thread!"

Hang in there I just know it will get easier and easier for you. I think most of us have the same food issues so it is easy to relate. Let us hear how you do as time goes on.