Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abdominal Surgeries prior to LapBand...?

I'm scheduled to be banded in mid January (if approved of course) but I have to admit - I'm worried about the past abdominal surgeries I've had and the scar tissue that's there now.....

Has anyone had any complications due to this....? or what i'd LOVE to hear is that you've had NO PROBLEMS with the lap band surgery after going thru other ab surgeries.

I had a hysterectomy in 2006 and a Tummy Tuck at the same time..... I just had to put this out there - I'd love to hear back from you regarding this. Thanks!!!

I've had 2 c-sections, a tubal and my gall bladder removed and I had no problem whatsoever with my lapband surgery. I was concerned too and talked to my Dr about just because I know I have mass amounts of scar tissue inside from my c-sections. My gyno, when he did my tubal, took pictures of it and said if it ever becomes a problem, it may need to be removed, so I was nervous that it would cause a problem during this surgery. However, everything was fine and there were no issues.

Hope that helps ease your worries a bit!

Good luck!

I'm scheduled to be banded in mid January (if approved of course) but I have to admit - I'm worried about the past abdominal surgeries I've had and the scar tissue that's there now.....

Has anyone had any complications due to this....? or what i'd LOVE to hear is that you've had NO PROBLEMS with the lap band surgery after going thru other ab surgeries.

I had a hysterectomy in 2006 and a Tummy Tuck at the same time..... I just had to put this out there - I'd love to hear back from you regarding this. Thanks!!!

I had a tummy tuck Jan 2007 and I ended up getting a scar tissue mass over my belly button area and had to get it cut out 3 weeks before my lapband surgery.. my lapband surgery went great. the only problem i had was my scars from lapband are bigger than normal because the surgeon had to go around my incision from my scar tissue surgery.. I had my lapband Nov 2009 and have had no problems...

I have had a laparotomy,3 c-sections, numerous laparoscopies including gall bladder removal. My surgeon didn't seem concerned and all went well with my band surgery.

I had a Tummy Tuck Jan 2007 and I ended up getting a scar tissue mass over my belly button area and had to get it cut out 3 weeks before my lapband surgery.. my lapband surgery went great. the only problem i had was my scars from lapband are bigger than normal because the surgeon had to go around my incision from my scar tissue surgery.. I had my lapband Nov 2009 and have had no problems...

Thank you --- so you went into this lap band surgery with a pretty flat stomach as well....? My doc told me that he'll have to use a low port on me because it's so flat (but it's NOT flat! lol! actually it's not funny - i've put a lot of weight on and most of it went right there but I guess we're our own worst critics!) anyway.......my question is....I feel a large lump that sometimes hurts underneath the area of where my belly button is too. (hurt might not be the right word, discomfort definitely is) ....is that all the scar tissue??? He didn't seemed too concerned and didn't mention getting any pre-surgeries done before the band surgery --- but I can't remember if he said that he would want an xray or ultra sound before the surgery .... hmmmm.......

He did mention that he would cut thru if he has to but if it were soooo bad they wouldn't be able to do the surgery - ugghhhh

How are you doing now? you're one year post op! congrats!!

I had my gallbladder removed september 2nd and my band put in sept. 21st. no problems for me!

Thank you --- so you went into this lap band surgery with a pretty flat stomach as well....? My doc told me that he'll have to use a low port on me because it's so flat (but it's NOT flat! lol! actually it's not funny - i've put a lot of weight on and most of it went right there but I guess we're our own worst critics!) anyway.......my question is....I feel a large lump that sometimes hurts underneath the area of where my belly button is too. (hurt might not be the right word, discomfort definitely is) ....is that all the scar tissue??? He didn't seemed too concerned and didn't mention getting any pre-surgeries done before the band surgery --- but I can't remember if he said that he would want an xray or ultra sound before the surgery .... hmmmm.......

He did mention that he would cut thru if he has to but if it were soooo bad they wouldn't be able to do the surgery - ugghhhh

How are you doing now? you're one year post op! congrats!!

I hurt so bad for nearly two years. it felt like a large lump i could feel. my plastic surgeon told me it was a hemotoma that was knotted up and it would eventually dissolve. but after the pain had gotten worse i went to another surgeon and he thought it was a ventrical hernia. when i woke up from surgery is when my surgeon told me he had to cut me vertically from my belly button up (about 4 inches) and it was a scar tissue mass. he said my sutures from the Tummy Tuck didnt dissolve and they were in the scar tissue mass and i had infection that he had to suction out. he cut the mass out and i felt so much better. that was on Sept 30th 09 and Nov 20th 09 i was in for my lapband. I had a CT scan but the CT scan report came back as a large hemotoma. (but it wasnt). when i woke up from my lapband surgery my dr. had told me that he had to go around my surgical cut and that is why i have a scar on each side of my belly. as i get smaller on my waist i am starting to feel the band. it is a really weird feeling. but a good feeling.

my belly was so flat i had even had liposuction on tummy as well. it was upper abdomen that was fatty.. he performed Lipo 3 other times on that section and couldnt get it flat. since i had the lapband i have lost that extra fat there and my tummy area is flatter than ever. my scar from the tummy tuck looks funny now it is a little flabby. (LOL)

good luck on your surgery and let us know what happens..

Surgeries---have I had surgeries!

appendectomy

cholecystectomy

hysterectomy

laprascopic ovarian cysts x2

ovary removal

emergency repair of incarcertated incisional hernia

The last one happened in May--complicated by 3 abscesses that had to have drains in them......

And I had the lapband in October without any issues.