Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone eat anything without trouble?

I am a little over a year after my lap band, I am answering multiple questions since I have read all the posts. I was on liquids for 2 weeks, then soft and then foreworth. True I was able to eat anything after the 3rd week, I think I was just taking my time with the food, hence eating slower feeling full faster, because I had no fill in my band. It will take time. Now I am at 6 cc of Fluid, and all it takes to fill me is a cup of food, I feel full. Hence, you can still overeat with the band, however you will get pain, I have had a fill for a year, and have cheated about 3 times, and eaten buffet style. You will get severe pain in the port, and shoulder area, from the pressure you are causing to your band. The feeling that you get is like swallowing a huge pill and getting stuck in your esophagus, inbetween your breast nipples. It is a throbbing aching pain, and it is very uncomforable, unfortunately the only way to get rid of that pain is to slim, which is allowing your food to come back out. It is not like throwing up because there is no stomach contents, or acids, because it never reached your stomach, just your small pouch. It is full of slimy fluids, hence slim. My starting weight was 356, now I am 230, this has been a very hard road, but if you eat it you will gain it. You need to change the way you eat, and you need to excercise everyday, if not you will gain weight. The band is a tool, not a cure for obesity. Don't get me wrong, I could have never gotten this far without it. I am thankful everyday for it, however because of me, people at work, have done it, and are failing. At first I felt awful, because the reason they did it,is my results (although, I told them it is hard hard work) however now I know you have to be ready, you have to really want to do this. Keep your head high, and excercise, excericise, eat Protein always.

Another perspective...I am also a year past my surgery date and I still can overeat in quantity. I could do so even when getting stuck from being overfilled. What the band does for me (now that I recognize it) is stop the feeling of hunger. Without the band I was nonstop ravenously hungry...even 5 minutes after eating. With the band, I still don't have a defineable sense of when to stop because there is no sense of 'fullness', so I have to portion out my reasonable portions - 2-3 oz of Protein, 3/4 cup low carb vegies and, if I still want it, my 1/4 cup of starch (Pasta, potatoes, rice). Sometimes I eat it all before I feel I've had enough. Sometimes I feel like I've had enough after just the Protein and vegies and I push my plate away. I never go back for more.

Yesterday I weighed out 4 oz of turkey onto my plate along with 1/2 cup of broccoli. I ate 2 oz of the turkey and all the broccoli and found myself just staring at my plate. It wasn't until my husband said, "are you stuck?" that I realized I just didn't want any more. So I wrapped up the rest of the turkey. That was kind of a defining moment for me.

So while you're looking for your sweet spot, recognize that it may not be from physical restriction or a physical feeling of fullness, but rather a feeling of 'enough'. It's taken me a year but I think I finally get it because the scales are going down again.

I am glad those of you that are far along this journey are posting. I am only 2 weeks out, I am not over eating, or eating anything unhealthy. I just don't feel full, too make sure I don't overeat I am weighing all my food and not going over board at all. I count every calorie and all protien like I was told. I didn't realize that feeling won't really kick in until after my first fill. At least I am not worried now, and I am going to stay the course and wait for my fills. Thanks for all the feedback!!!!

You had surgery 2 weeks ago. Didn't your doctor tell you that your body is healing the first 6 weeks or so? Right now you are on the restricted diet while the swelling goes down and to build scar tissue around the lap band. You probably haven't had a fill so why would you feel full? If you really wanted to you could probably eat a whole pizza b/c there probably isn't anything in your band. Take it easy and heal first and then get a few fills before you wonder if your band is working.

I want to say that this is not true, every doctor does the band differently. I had surgery on the 9th of nov. and I am doing mushies and some solids, but I do get full and pretty fast might i say. I have 10cc band and I have 3 cc Fluid in there right now on DEC 9th I will get another 1 cc. I get full fast and sometime depending on what I eat I am full for 4-6 hours. I also am losing weight at a nice speed and it works just find. People we just need to have faith in the choice that we have made to change our life. It will work just let it.

Its normal. I am 3 months post op with my first fill, till my first fill I was able to eat as before, after my first fill half of what I could eat before but still was not able to lose any weight. Tomorrow second fill. I have read so much here that it takes 2 or sometimes more fills before you feel the good restrictions. However I must warn you that do not forget to chew. Although you do not have any fill now, you are banded and band somehow tightens the porch.

Hello,

I am brand new to this site and just under 6 weeks post op. Can you please explain to me some of the "lingo" you used? I don't understand what PB'ed and slimed is? Thank you!

I'm 4 months post-op and until thanksgiving i had not been stuck, PB'ed, slimed and I can eat everything. On Thanksgiving I think I just forgot about the band and ate either too quick or too much and had a 20 minute stuck episode. I think i was making it worst because my sister and her family were here and they dont know about the band and I'm not telling them! So as it was happening I was getting more and more nervous and came very close to sliming but had a great PB - then it was OVER! My sister kept asking what is wrong...I think i have a Brussel Sprout stuck in my throat - kinda the truth.

I was banded on July 30th and almost 4 months out now. I have had 2 fills so far and my 3rd is on tuesday. I have never had a problem with any food..never pb'd got stuck or slimed (yet). some foods go down "hard" as I call it..where I feel a little something usually its like a bagal or something really doughy. since I dont have really good restriction yet and can eat anything I find it hard to stick to the band rules like chewing more and eating slower I dont eat as fast as I used to but I still could eat slower and take smaller bites. I am hoping the 3rd fill helps me and that I have more restriction!!

I also appreciate all of the experienced bandsters posting this information as I am only a week out and constantly stress about what to eat. It seems that I can eat anything I want to as long as it is in moderation. I never have looked at it that way. I am limited to 3 ounces of Protein per meal and was wondering how to enjoy that protein. Now, thanks to the veteran bandsters, I realize I can make that protein taste good!

Hello,

I am brand new to this site and just under 6 weeks post op. Can you please explain to me some of the "lingo" you used? I don't understand what PB'ed and slimed is? Thank you!

Yes, I wish someone would explain to me as well what these terms are: "PBing" and" Slimed." :huh:

Yes, I wish someone would explain to me as well what these terms are: "PBing" and" Slimed." :huh:

PBing= productive Burp when you burp and food comes up...

Slimed-= is a thick kind of saliva that you mouth produces when your stuck....you feel as if your mouth is watering but it's thick

I have been banded for 3 mos and just had my second fill last Tuesday...needless to say I think I may be too tight cuz I can not eat with out getting stuck unless it's Soup....

Don't worry about being able to eat what ever you can or want the first few weeks after your surgery it's normal you may gain a little but that will come off quick after you reach adequate restriction which may come after your 2nd or 3rd maybe 4th or so fill depending on what size band you have and how aggressive your doc is with your fills....

I want to say that this is not true, every doctor does the band differently. I had surgery on the 9th of nov. and I am doing mushies and some solids, but I do get full and pretty fast might i say. I have 10cc band and I have 3 cc Fluid in there right now on DEC 9th I will get another 1 cc. I get full fast and sometime depending on what I eat I am full for 4-6 hours. I also am losing weight at a nice speed and it works just find. People we just need to have faith in the choice that we have made to change our life. It will work just let it.

Every bandster is different. I got full pretty quick the after each fill too then it subsided somewhat. Over a year later there are foods I can eat like anyone else (usually the well known slider foods) and other foods I can barely nibble at. I think the point I was attempting to address are people who are wondering why they aren't losing weight even tho they had surgery just a month ago and can eat anything. I have heard of a couple of people on these boards who lost over 100 pounds without a single fill but many if not most - it can take several fills. There seems to be a competition to lose all this weight within 30 days after surgery but this is the time for healing and following your doctor's instructions. Start worrying about the weight loss after you've at least had a fill.

I haven't had any trouble eating anything but I'm also not trying to eat things that I know aren't good for me or that might possibly get stuck. One thing I have realized is that I need sauce, gravy, or something to make the meats more moist.