Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone starting over?

I had the lap-band surgery in December 2006. I have type 2 Diabetes and I was taking 3 insulin shots a day. I only lost about 15 pounds the first year. However, after I had a fourth fill in October 2007 I started to lose more weight. By May of 2008 my Endocrinologist took me off of one type of insulin and I was down to only 2 shots a day of one type of insulin. I had another fill in August 2008 and my A1C had gone down to the point that my doctor took me off of insulin completely. I was switched to Actos+Metphormin pills. After getting off of insulin my weight started to drop much faster. I am 4 feet 11 inches and in December 2006 I was 190 pounds. By February 2009 I reached 120 pounds. I was so happy and feeling better than I have ever felt. Buying new clothes and going out with my husband more was great, but not being insulin dependent anymore was amazing. After taking insulin shots for eleven years, I never thought that no shots was even a possiblilty. That alone is worth everything I am going through now, but I made a huge mistake that I am really angry at myself for and I am still trying to fix it.

I decided to go to the Taste of Chicago food festival in July 2009. Although I was sharing my food with friends and trying to chew everything a lot I wanted to try everything even though I was full. So I would eat a little bit and when I wanted to try something else I would go to the restroom and throw up what I had eaten so that I could try something else. It was my first time in Chicago and I wanted to make the most of it. I just had to have the deep-dish pizza and the Chicago-style hotdog. Then I couldn't always find a bathroom so I would try drinking a little beer or soda to push the food through and then try to eat some more. It hurt, but I thought it would just be temporary and I would just do liquids when I get home and it would be okay.

In hindsight it was stupid, but at the time I thought it would be okay to just do this for the 4 day trip.

When I got home I was in a lot of pain, but I just tried to stick to liquids. The problem was that the liquids were coming up with out even trying. Then when I would lay down I would have to throw up mucus every night becuase my saliva was gathering in the back of my throat. I was suffocating in my sleep so I would have to get up and throw up the mucus again.

I am a cash patient so everytime I go to see my doctor I have to pay $150 whether I get a fill or not. Also, I was losing more weight so I thought I would just wait until I got down to a size I like and then I would have him check it.

I got down to 112 pounds, but I was not satisfied. I was going to wait to get down to under 100 pounds, even though I was also having dizzy spells from time to time and feeling vertigo.

Then in August 2009 I was in the shower and suddenly blacked out.

When I woke up I had fallen out of the shower and the curtain rod and curtain were on top of me. I realized that there must be something wrong. I went to my regular doctor and they sent me to the hospital.

It turns out that I was suffering from dehydration and Vitamin deficiencies. They told me that I needed to see my lap band doctor immediately.

When I went in and had the barium swallow it stayed in the pouch. The doctor told me I had irriated the opening of the band and the opening had swollen shut.

He removed all of the fill from my band and instructed me to go back to liquids for the next 2 weeks, then soft foods for a week then solids in small portions.

It has been over a year since my unfill and I have had 2 re-fills since then. One in June 2010 and one in September 2010.

I am now 150 pounds and can not seem to drop weight.

I just keep gaining. I am trying hard to diet without having to get another fill, but I end up getting discouraged so I am back to my old habits.

I am going to go back to get another fill but the doctor keeps telling me that the opening is tight enough, I just stretched the pouch which is allowing me to eat more and not giving me the full felling. I am trying to stick to the portion sizes, but I don't feel full.

I am so frustrated!

I was just wondering if anyone has a similar story?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

All the best.

Sorry you are having a tough time. Seems like you need to go back to basics. Eat high protien, low carb, low fat. Are you working out? If not I would start for sure. BTW I am 4'11'' as well. I am maintaining around 110 and very pleased with how I feel and look. You can do this! Maybe setting mini goals along the way would help. Buy yourself something for every 10 pound loss or go for a spa treatment. I hope you get back on track, and get to a healthier you.

Thanks for the support vlp1968. I do need to get back to working out. I just stopped because I got so discouraged with all the weight gain. Thanks for the advice and Happy Thanksgiving.

All the best.

Wow, you have gone through alot. I'm sorry for that. I have been disappointed with myself. I had sugery Sept 30th 2008 and had been down a total of 85 pounds. But since then, through eating junk "slider" foods, I have gained 25 back. I'm feeling ashamed to go back to my surgeon, but decided I need to. Perhaps get another fill. I'm at 5.5 cc's in a 10 cc band. I do feel restriction at times, usually early in the morning, but then seem to be able to eat way too much later in the day. I called today to get an appt, but of course they have the day after Thanksgiving off. Hope I still have the guts to do so on Monday when they are in the office.

I'm ready to start again!!

Hi JUKU,

I know what you mean. I think I need another fill also. I have some restriction early in the day, but at night I can eat more than I should and I do because I don't feel full. Thanks for sharing with me though. It is good to know that I am not alone.

All the best.

My oh my - this is such a wonderful forum and folks are so open - the only advice I can offer which may be helpful - is that of my nutritionest.

That simple advice took me down 35 lbs - don't eat till your full - eat the perscribed plan. I know its not easy, I am a comfort food eater, a grazer, and eat out of boredom. Fortunatly the surgery made me loose my appetite - I wish you the very best !

shandy im so sorry that you are having a ruff time with this, but i must say you should be so proud of yourself for having the courage to come on here and share your experience with us. I really admire you for recognizing your problem and being proactive in fixing it. So many of us myself included have a tendency to hide the truth from our own selves but you put it out there for everyone to see and i can see why you are and will continue to be a sucess with the band. Bravo.

Also for those who feel ashamed of gaining weight back , or eating more, or not exercising enuff etc etc .... We really need to be more forgiving of ourselves, becuz we are only human we are bound to slip and make mistakes, the only thing anyone should be ashamed of is not picking ourselves back up and trying again no matter how many time we fall down. One thing that has really really helped me is telling myself that no food is off limits everything is about Portion Control and EXERCISING DAILY. Again shandy and ev1 else thank you for putting yourself out there for us newbies its greatly appreciated.

shireen:D