Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

64 oz of water a day

Ok I have a question for anyone. I am pre-op and have been trying to drink more water/sf kool-aid how do you get 64 ozs in a day I have truble getting 32 ozs in me a day I have a 26 oz water bottle and start out with it full and just can't seam ton drink that much and to think that after surgery ill not be drinking for 1and 1/2 hours 3 times a day how do you do it lol.

It's really not that hard.. I fill up a gallon ice tea jug "you know the ones with the spout and button to push down on." Every night I put that in the fridge for the next day. Any Water that you use at all for Jello, Soup, taking pills, or drinking should come from that jug. When it's 1/2 gone your done. I even educated my surgeon with this plan, and it works. If you have a 1/2 gallon jug, use that if you want,but for your Protein Shakes, and more.

G L, Shirley.

The more Water you drink, the more water you will want. It becomes almost addictive. I was a serious Dr. Pepper addict so I gave it up about 3 weeks before I had surgery and drank only water until 5 days post-op when I added in crystal light. I found that by only drinking water, I wanted it more. Good luck :)

I use a 32oz cup, and drink atleast 3 of those a day. Water or crystal light. I know I have to so I just do it. Just a good habit to get in to :D

my Water at my house is not good right now. its not city water so i add sugar free kool-aid and since starting my pre-op diet i have had no problems drinking enough but still worrided about after. surgery is next wed.

It is an adjustment to learn to drink so much. Kudo's to you for making it a habit pre-op!!

One thing my doctor says in his post-op instructions is to WORK UP TO drinking 64oz of Water or very low calorie (5 to 10 calories per 16 oz) fluids a day. That it may take a week or two to be able to drink that much post-operatively.

The other posters are correct, Jello and popsicles also count as fluids. I keep a bottle of Water or something to drink beside me all of the time. You'll get there.

Just a note that my Nut. said I could count Decaf coffee. Now that it's winter and I work from home and am too cheap to turn up the heat I drink a lot of decaf to keep warm.

One trick I use is that when I'm hungry and ready to eat I down one 20 ounces of Water. I know that I cant drink for an hour after so I need to get it in before. I'm looking forward to the food so I "hurry" to get the water down.

I buy Water in the little lunch box sized 8 ounce bottles. I find it much easier to drink 8 of them then to have a big bottle of Water that I need to get down.

It just seems more do-able to to me.

Jackie

I agree with Jackie, If i have a large bottle of Water, it almost intimidates me to drink so much.

I usually drink 2 (16 oz) bottles of Water as soon as i wake up. Then have more bottles of water as the day goes by. It seems the best way for me. I used to carry around a jug, and just looked at it like a mountain that was hard to climb.

Also, try finding other things to add to the water to make it more pleasurable.

I also do the sugar-free Kool-aid, but i also have a wheat grass mixture i add to water, caffeine free teas / coffees help also.

Good Luck!

I am having trouble with this too, but I count the Water in my Protein Shake and then the liquid in my broths as well. I drink til I can't any more and then some. I am not sure I am getting all the 64 oz, but I am trying. If you get thirsty, you are already dehydrated, so keep sipping. Be well!