Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone live in NY and have Hip

Does anyone live in Ny and have Hip?? I work for the city and currently have GHI. However, as a single mom with 3 kids the co pays are killing me :blink: :blink: Im switching to Hip and that will take effect after the new year. I know 2 people that have Hip and were approved for a bypass. Has anyone that has Hip been approved?? Is there any special criteria?? I called Hip and the people acted like they had no idea what a lap band even was

Hi, Future Fellow Bandster. I have HIP and went thru my family physician. I told her which weight loss surgery I preferred, therefore she referred me for the lapband. I was approved within 30 days after asking about it and had my surgery 30 days after that. When you have been accepted into the HIP Program, inform your doctor that you are interested in bariatric surgery. But first I strongly suggest you do your research before your appointment. There is something to the be informed when you talk to your doctor. By now you should be aware of the different types of weight loss surgery. This site here Lapband Talk can give you some insight into it.

Your doctor may suggest one thing depending upon your health issues. i.e. current weight, high blood presssure, diabetic, cholesterol, sleep apenea etc. While you may want another procedure. You'll need to go through a serious of tests, medical, psychologist, physical and blood the usual.

Also, it's best to go to a few support group meetings. This way you'll hear the pros and cons of people who have had the surgery. It's very, very helpful in making that decision. You'll need to remember this is a life long adventure you're about to take on. And if you're not mentally ready to make the scarfice then do not put yourself thru it and say the surgery failed. The surgery is only a tool to assist and help you loss weight. You must strongly do your part and be dedicated in this.

Also, go to some of the threads in which people have banded by month and year of their surgery. Some threads are by situation and issues. These are very helpful and supportive.

Well I hope some of ths was helpful and come on board. I had my surgery in March/2007 and have lost 100+ pounds. I am not sorry I made this decision. Although you will want to loss this weight overnight the course of a few months, it won't work that way. Take this low and you'll be alright. Some of the issues you will go thru the ups and downs the successful times and the not successful times are all part of the journey. This is a word you'll hear a lot on this site. 'Journey". You're not alone in this.

Well, I'll stop here this is a lot to read at one time. You're get a lot of advice from here on. You just have to sift through them all and take what will work for you. I'll come back from time to time to read up on your progress and decision. Please keep in touch, for I haven't found anyone on here willing to be a buddy with anyone. Maybe we can if it's okay with you of course.

Have a great day and be Thankful for those in your life.