Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My brother is getting married and I am one of the bridesmaids in the wedding. The wedding isnt until the end of May and they are thinking I will get banded the end of December beginning of January. The problem is we have to order the dresses in two weeks. I am already between sizes so I have no clue what to do. The doctor said the average weight loss is two pounds a week so that puts it at about 40 pounds lost. How quickly did you guys loss weight in the start?

I think that is really hard. From my first consult to surgery I lost 50 pounds. I am 3 Months out from surgery and do not have restriction and have lost another 21 pounds. I lost a lot in the first month and now things have really slowed down (did I mention I don't have restriction? grrr). I swim an hour a day 7 days a week. I wonder if I am losing slower than others because I had significant weight loss pre-surgery. Based on my own situation I would'nt buy a dress and plan on loosing 40 pounds in 4 months. You might or you might not. Is your family aware of you surgery? At the very least I think you need to have a frank discussion with the person doing the alterations. If you don't want the bride to know than be very explicit with the person doing alterations such as "I am not telling people about the surgery; which means you are not allowed to discuss this with your coworkers or with the bride." You should ask for the cost of each fitting and be willing to pay for additional alterations (sometimes shops include one fitting in the price of the dress and you may need more than one fitting). I remember reading that Princess Diana had to have mulitple fittings for her wedding dress because she lost so much weight that her waist went down 3 inches.

The bride does know about it and she is at a lost as to what to do. My plan was to just order the smaller of the two sizes I am inbetween because the shop said they could let it out alittle if they need to. I have lost 10 pounds sense we did our measurements so I know it will fit. I called the shop to ask about sizing the dress down if I need to and they said it can only be sized down two sizes. I think I will be fine with that. I figured I would order what fits now just incase I do not loss any weight. The good part is the dress is only fitted around the breast area but when I loss weight that is normally the first place I loss. Its funny because two other girls in the wedding are also pregnant so they are worrying about theirs not being big enough.

The bride knowing your dilema makes this so much easier (I am a big panicker and not being able to express my concerns would make me a wreck.). I also think it's ironic that you're concerned that the dress will be to big and the other's are worried about them being to small. A dress that's a little to big is better than one that's too tight. I had a coworker who wore a bridesmaid dress that was very form fitting (she was size 4/6); the dress tore up from the slit in the back. She had to sew up the rip in the bathroom!

It is hard because it so different for everyone. I am over 5 months postop and lost about 45-50lbs. since suregery. I started losing from the moment I committed to have the surgery. Talk about proof that our thoughts have power! I guess I'd suggest you order a dress a litle smaller than you are now. When the wedding gets near you may have to have it taken in, but thats a whole lot easier than having to let it out. Especially if you have a slower weight loss as it seems like many people do. Good luck to ya!

I like the advice of the previous poster. Order one just a size smaller than you are now....then have it altered when you are closer. I don't know about you but it does take about 20 pounds for me to go down an entire size so if you expect to lose 40 lbs (ish) and your dress can be sized down two sizes then you may be right in there. :) I also agree if the dress is only fitted in the bust you can always stuff and have it a little big and it will still probably look great. :)

Best of luck to you! And how about that...a bridesmaid dress that you will have to get rid of because it will be too big in a year...no reason to hang on to that something you will never wear...even though the brides always think they picked something you can use again...lol.