Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning to you all,

I had my surgery on August 26, 2010, as of Monday I am 42 pounds down, however, I went to weigh myself this morning and it said I gained 2 pounds. Why does this happen? I tried weighing myself all this week and my weight was up and down. Can someone please help because I am VERY discouraged. Thank you for all your input

I HATE that!! I find it so absolutely frustrating. Weight normally fluctuates because of balance of intake and output and time of day etc. Thats why they say weigh only once a day around the same time of day. I was getting so aggravated with it, i was told not to get on the scale everyday, try once a week.

This happens to me regularly. If you're not eating any differently, staying within your calorie range and there is a calorie deficit, then its often Water retention. If you're exercising a lot, you are probably gaining muscle which could be part of it. Also, sometimes if you don't have a BM before weighing, it can effect it. Its my time of the month and I was up 1.2 pounds this morning. I attribute it to bloat and water retention. If you weigh everyday (I do), its fine as long as you know your weight will fluctuate day to day. The downward trend is what's important! Don't be discouraged :blushing: although I empathize - I sometimes get discouraged too.

Weight can fluctuate greatly from day to day. Just taking a good crap can drop you a couple of pounds! ;-)

I find it is best to weigh myself once a week under the exact same conditions. (same time, amount of clothing etc.)

Even then I would wait a couple of weeks before getting concerned.

My weight has been up and down for the last 2 months. I have yet to lose a pound and yes, I'm tracking what I'm eating in fitday.com and walking an hour a day *and* aerobics twice a week. I've lowered my carbs, lowered my calories and nada.

My only point...if you're worried about a 2 lb gain (which is most likely no more than Water fluctuation) in one week after a 42 pound loss...one word. Patience.

Good morning to you all,

I had my surgery on August 26, 2010, as of Monday I am 42 pounds down, however, I went to weigh myself this morning and it said I gained 2 pounds. Why does this happen? I tried weighing myself all this week and my weight was up and down. Can someone please help because I am VERY discouraged. Thank you for all your input

First of all Good Job on your weight loss...we were banded on the same day and I have only lost 15lbs to date...But I too go up and down up and down that's why I weigh only every monday in the morning after my first bathroom visit and disregard any other times I may weigh....Good Job again :blushing:

I would stop getting on the scale everyday. Seems like the natural flucuations are discouraging you. When I was loosing, I weighed in once a week. Now that I am maintaining I weigh in everyday, and if I hit 112 (I am only 4'11") I take corrective action (cut out a snack, lower carbs). Good luck!

One other thing that you could do (if you can) is have skin folds taken so you can know what your body fat percentage is. I have skin fold measurements taken every 6 weeks at our fitness place. Its super motivating. Even if I think I should've lost more scale weight, the body composition assesments let me know where and how much lean mass I've gained and how much fat mass I've lost. Pretty cool and WAY more accurate than scales or BMI.