Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to band, sleeve or not?

I am actually sitting in the waiting room waiting to meet with my surgeon for the first time. I am really interested in the band, possibly the sleeve, but I am quite intimidated about life after surgery! The more I read about the problems people have had or how sick they feel scares me. Will I ever eat real food? Will I be able to have a sit down dinner with my family? What about going out to dinner? How do you wrap your mind around the emotional part of "not eating"? I mean yes food is enjoyable and yes I want to eat healthy, and eat to live not live to eat......but will I still be able to enjoy food?

those are the same things that keep going thru my head. I can't believe that there is anyone out there that hasn't thought this. I know it will be so great to get healthy and back in shape but what do you do when someone invites you over for steak or grilled burgers.

I'm down 90 pounds. I enjoy eating with family and friends. Have had no major problems. Only been stuck a couple of times. Never thrown up or PB'ed.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of people won't come here to post that everything is going great. They take that as a given. Thy come here when they run in to some kind of issue and want to vent about it.

Getting banded, sleeved or any other type of weight loss surgery does not mean the end of food and the ability to socialize with others at meals, etc. It just means you will now have the ability/help you need to say, I have had enough and not over-indulge. As long as you listen to your body and learn it's signals, you will be fine.

So long as you follow the rules(small bites, eating slowly, waiting between mouthfuls etc) there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to eat most foods.

I still go out to eat, I still go to dinner at friends - even ones that don't know I'm banded and I still eat and enjoy myself.

You will probably end up eating the burger without the bun,you may decide that you would prefer a nice moist chicken kebab rather than an overcooked dry piece of steak but you will still be able to join in.

For dinner last night we had garlic prawns - yum.

I am actually sitting in the waiting room waiting to meet with my surgeon for the first time. I am really interested in the band, possibly the sleeve, but I am quite intimidated about life after surgery! The more I read about the problems people have had or how sick they feel scares me. Will I ever eat real food? Will I be able to have a sit down dinner with my family? What about going out to dinner? How do you wrap your mind around the emotional part of "not eating"? I mean yes food is enjoyable and yes I want to eat healthy, and eat to live not live to eat......but will I still be able to enjoy food?

Once I got past the immediate post-op phase, I've eaten real food every day. I probably eat more "real" food now than I did before banding. Not in quantity.. but in QUALITY. Now that I eat smaller amounts, what I put in my mouth is only good stuff. No more junky, empty calories. I eat good Protein, freshly cooked veggies and tiny amounts of Fiber. Protein, Produce & Fiber. AKA Lean & Green. :blushing:

I think you'll find that you will enjoy food more after surgery, and learn to savor every bite. You won't be shoveling it in any longer. It will be take a bite, put the fork down and immerse yourself in the sensation of the food. The texture, the flavor, what does it remind you of, etc. No more mindless hand to mouth eating.

My dh & I go out to eat about once a week now and have a great time. I'm a cheap date, I get 2 and sometimes 3 meals out of one order. Last weekend I ordered beef, chicken & shrimp fajitas. DH got my tortillas. I ate some of the meat and a bite or two of the Beans at the restaurant, took the rest home. Late that night before bed (4 hours later), I had a tiny bit more. The next day I finished the leftovers for lunch.

those are the same things that keep going thru my head. I can't believe that there is anyone out there that hasn't thought this. I know it will be so great to get healthy and back in shape but what do you do when someone invites you over for steak or grilled burgers.

When someone invites you over, you say Great, what time and can I bring something? If you worry or suspect that you might not be able to eat what is being offered, you take something to the event that you know you can, and that others will like too. Worst comes to worst, there are Protein Bars and drinks that you can stick in your purse or jacket pocket or leave in your car. Eating just the meat and no bun is a good idea. So many people do the low carb thing these days, no one will think a thing about it.

I bet there are people all around you who are banded and you don't know it, because they are out there living life and having a great time and no longer focused on food. You most likely will be like that too, once banded. :w00t:

No one I meet nowadays knows I'm banded unless I tell them. I eat like a small, kinda picky eater. No one bats an eyelid lol.

And I still love eating good food - I go to good restaurants and make great dinners all the time. I figure that when you're only eating a little bit, why waste that space on anything less than great food? ?

I think my appreciation of good food has actually increased! :blushing: