Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The band *does* fail some people (long)

Elfie, sorry I haven't been following the forums for some time but I definitely wanted to say great job on your progress so far and continuing your journey to a healthier you. I haven't even worked the band but it's stories like this that make me live in fear with it all. I just got my 2nd fill and I'm feeling exactly as you have described :(

Anywho, good luck to you in all your future endeavors with weight loss and beyond! =)

-Billy

Don't give up, Billy. It's not how many fills you have but the total amount of fills. I have a Realize band and my surgeon said that most people don't get to their sweet spot until around 7-8cc (14cc band). I think Lap band's are lower because they're smaller.

At only a 2nd fill, you have plenty of time before you know whether you're one of the 20%. The odds are good that it *will* work for you! :(

The difference in mls needed to reach restriction with a lap band or realize band is not because of the capacity. It is because the Realize band is designed and marketed as a low pressure band and that is what seems to make the difference.

Interesting info from your surgeon. I know that they are constantly learning new things about the band - I didn't realise that it was supposed to have an effect on the hormones. I thought it worked more because of the pressure on the vagus nerve as that is the nerve that helps give the sensation of saiety . You know that same wretched nerve that has been causing all your shoulder pain.

Cleo's Mum - I understand what you are saying about your bottom stomach being empty but do you realise that it is not empty for long as the food is passing through the band a lot quicker than was initially thought. That is why when you are stuck you feel it instantly.

I was reading the VSG board a couple of days ago and there was a thread on their about hunger after being sleeved. There were a couple of people who did not seem to have the desired hunger reduction due to the decreased ghrelin levels. So it is possible that you could revise and still have the same issue.

Do lots of research before you decide what to do. Look at bypass as well. Nanook had issues with the band where it did not work for her and she has since successfully revised to bypass. Maybe PM her and ask some questions. It may be that you need the malabsorption as well.

Its a pity that there isn't some kind of test that thye could do prior to surgery to match people with the one that would be most suitable for them.

Good luck.

Elfie, so glad to hear that you have found the answer for YOU. I will be saying prayers, keeping my fingers crossed, wishing on stars ... and everything else (LOL) that BCBS covers your revision surgery. I have BCBS too -- I'm not that crazy about it, but maybe yours will be better than mine. Good luck to you on your new journey.

YAY Elfie!!

It'll be a year for me in March - I have 4.2cc in an 11cc band - twice I've had to have Fluid taken out and now have to have an upper GI series. I lost about 30 pre-surgery...and 14 since. I'm going say DITTO...I also could eat enough to feed three men, experience the uncomfortable pouch and the growling stomach, the trying to psych myself in to believing I'm not hungry. Now my surgeon's practice is telling me that the new thinking is that you should only have 2 or 3 fills in the first year...ugh!

Elfie, I've been reading your posts since I started down this road - if anyone has worked their band, seems it would be you. God bless and let us know how your progress. It's a small comfort to know I'm not the only one who feels like a failure.

Now my surgeon's practice is telling me that the new thinking is that you should only have 2 or 3 fills in the first year...ugh!

Wish some of these doctors would quit generalizing. That may be enough for some...not enough for others and by generalizing and having a mindset that 2 or 3 in a year is enough, they're setting their patients up for failure. :(

Wish some of these doctors would quit generalizing. That may be enough for some...not enough for others and by generalizing and having a mindset that 2 or 3 in a year is enough, they're setting their patients up for failure. :(

I agree. There are so many things that are different with people. As we can all see just from the bandsters on this board everyone reaches their sweet spot at different fill levels. It's interesting how some docs will only put in .5cc at a time while others are so agressive they put in 4-5cc in one fill. I reached my sweet spot with my 2nd fill at 3 months post-op. My fill at surgery was 2.7cc. By my 2nd fill I was at 5.3cc. Other bandsters might be able to eat a hamburger fries and shake at that fill level. I was on the forever mushie diet and so "full" I couldn't eat another bite after a very small amount. I don't see how generalizing about how many fills should be done in a year will work.

. I

Cleo's Mum - I understand what you are saying about your bottom stomach being empty but do you realise that it is not empty for long as the food is passing through the band a lot quicker than was initially thought. That is why when you are stuck you feel it instantly.

The amount of food in the pouch is not enough to make my bottom stomach feel full or satisfied. What do most doctors say - 1/2 to 1 cup of food per meal? Why would 1/2 - 1 cup of food make my big stomach below the band feel full and satisfied? Before band, in order to feel satisfied, the stomach stretches when it is filled and this sends a signal to the brain that you are full. My doctor told me this.

I am glad that the band works for you as promised but you have to realize that is not the case for people like Elfie and me.

The fact that I have been as successful as I have is something that I credit myself for. And considering that my former surgeon was an idiot, I consider myself smart for getting rid of him, too. I will continue to do the best I can and hope for the best but I can't do anything about changing the band at this point.

I am so sorry about the issues you have had, but am right there with you. And for those like you and me, it seems like once we have one problem, more just seem to arise. I am thrilled for people who have success with the band, but I am also happy there is an alternative for those of us who for some reason our body seems to more or less reject it.

I was never disputing that the band has not worked for you the way you expected.

Also remember sleeve or bypass are not the only other options. There is also the plication surgery which is relatively new so the downside might be that there are no long term results or studies. On the plus side they don't remove any of your stomach I think they fold and staple it. But I would imagine that if they ever tried to reverse this it could be a problem as presumably scar tissue would form.

There is a plication forum within the sleeve forum so you may want to check that out as well.

And considering that my former surgeon was an idiot, I consider myself smart for getting rid of him, too.

Bahahahaha! hysterical.gif

I thought it was only fair to update this...

Since getting my unfill two days ago (due to the shoulder pain), I have been *starving*. When I said Hilda, my band, never did anything for me, I obviously was wrong. Yes, I still had hunger (which may yet turn out to be related to blood sugar swings), but not this gnawing *very real* hunger.

So, rather than go straight to the sleeve...which scares the bejabbers out of me because it's so much more invasive...I'm going to have them go ahead and do the exploratory lap to find out (and fix) where the band is rubbing my diaphragm. Then get my fills back and see how I do. I'm willing to concede that I may have been overreacting to the 'hunger' and feeling the band wasn't controlling it *enough* since the pain has kept me from getting any real sleep in many months and I was/am exhausted.

Fortunately, my insurance tells me they will cover this so now all I have to do is get through the next couple of weeks without a fill until they can do the exploratory. I'm also hoping they can leave me with even a small fill after surgery to give me a head start on my fills.

Elphie,

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. We are all very different and the band is not the perfect answer for anyone. You've been working very hard and I think you're very brave!

Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress! :blushing: