Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days since surgery. How did most of you feel by then?

It has been 10 days since surgery. I had a scare about 4 days ago where I was having pain in my chest that would immediatly shoot to my head like if it was going to blow up. I ended going to the ER and found that I had a grossly large bubble of air in my stomach and a sinus infection. To make a long story short that night I thought I was knocking on Deaths door. Of course I made it that night to see another day. Never would I think I would talk about things like this to strangers but I know everyone is here to help.

I have never passed gas like most people. I normally don't fart unless I am having a bowel movement. I am not able to just push it out. I am concerned that this may be a problem for me in the future with the band. Is there any thing that any of you have taken to really help cut down on gas. I have tried Gas-X strips, Gas-X chewables and Malox. I seem to not have quick luck with those OTC items.

I am a point where I feel that my stomach hurts when I get up so I end up having hot tea then 30 minutes later somthing to eat. Today was the first day I had an egg over easy. It was pretty good. I seem to be having a bowel movement with in 10 minutes after eating. This is not the norm for me. Then my stomach starts to hurt again. I believe it is hunger pains but possbily could be gas building up.

I know I kind of went on about more then one thing but if you can please give me info on any of the questions above. I am feeling very tired but I think that has to do with the episode I had of trying not to vomit the night of the ER. I think I would be a little farther then I feel if I had not got sick and dehydrated. Any info would be helpful to know if I am considered normal within the community of banders. Of course there may be other issues that don't make me normal but thats another story on another forum.:)

Edited by Rchavez101

At 10 days, I was feeling more like myself. The day of surgery I was walking around, so at 10 days I was pretty much able to get around on my own (except my surgeon said no driving for 2-3 weeks after). The only thing that was still pretty painful was my port. That stayed sore for awhile (5 weeks maybe?).

I guess I'm wondering what your post-op diet is like? For 3-4 days after surgery I was on clear liquid (so broth basically). And then for 2 weeks after that (which is where you are right now at 10 days) I was on full liquids only (so Protein Shakes, SF FF Jello, milk, etc). For 2 weeks after that I was on mushies (anything with a mashed potato consistency basically), and then after that I went slowly to solids. I guess I'm just thinking that at 10 days out its too early to be eating solid foods like eggs. The reason is that when you eat food, your stomach churns to digest the food (even if its just a little bit of food, or something that you think is easy to go down). With the band so newly in place, its not a great idea for the stomach muscles to be moving that way. Perhaps this could be contributing to your issues with stomach pain. What is your post-op plan from your surgeon for eating?

I read a lot that people have good results using Gas X strips for the gas. Sorry I can't be of more help. I never took pain meds after I woke up in recovery and was visiting my mother-in-law that afternoon and back to work the next day. 10 days after surgery, if I recall correctly, I had just the usual sore reminder when I used my stomach muscles a little too hard or forgot and tried to sleep on my stomach.

I lied the the egg was scrambled. Well my post of diet was liquid only for the first 48 hours then I could eat Soups that were blended really well with no chunks. I went for my so called one week follow up 6 days later (Tue). They told me that on Friday (beginning of 2nd wk) I could start eating mushi foods like soft eggs, soggy Cereal canned soggy vegtables, canned tuna in Water, and canned chicken in water and a few more items plus the shakes and soups. Of course I got sick and never made it to that Friday and was told to start on the mushi foods on Sunday. The third week included a few more items plus the above. Sorry I don't remember at this point what is on that list. Ove all I get around fine. This morning I got up showered cleaned the kitchen, bedroom, hardwood floors ETC... I just get that pain in my stomach now but seem to get rid of it by eating or taking gas medicine.

Edited by Rchavez101

At 10 days post-op I was feeling ravenous for some solid food. My post-op diet directive was six full weeks of full liquids only (I gave in and ate real food at 39 days) and all I could think of was chewing. I had some post-op complications and they had cleared up for the most part at about the 10 day mark so not feeling weak and sick made me all that much hungrier.

At 10 days out i still had a lot of gas inside and wasn't passing much either. Walking helps a great deal though & kept it from being unbearable. Try to walk as much as you can to keep things moving.

Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon.