Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 5 1/2 months ago and have lost 51 pounds. I have had 2 fills. They were easy. When it came time for my 3rd fill...I chickened out and decided I didn't need one. I had lost 12 pounds the month prior so the surgeons office agreed.

My weight loss has slowed but I am still losing. I have never been stuck or pb'd (I chew, chew,chew). It's getting stuck or throwing up is what I'm afraid of. I have read alot of posts on the message boards with people describing how painful it is to be stuck. I recently was in the hospital (not related to the band) and my roomate also had the band (3 years). After every meal she went into the bathroom and threw up. I don't want that to happen to me.

I do have some restriction but I doubt I am at my sweet spot. I am basically not hungry that much and do stick to softer foods. I don't like meat. Anyway...I have a fill appt. coming up on Tuesday and once again I find myself chickening out. Are these feelings normal...have others struggled with this? I don't need to be told...then why did I get the band? I'm just struggling with it that's all. Any advice?

my roomate also had the band (3 years). After every meal she went into the bathroom and threw up.

After every meal? Sounds less like stuck episodes and more like bulimia.

Any advice?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it? Seriously, you say you're losing weight steadily. You admit to feeling a 'little' hungry but the question is, are you able to stick to your plan of eating or does the hunger get the best of you? Is it a constant hunger from the time you finish your meal until you eat the next one...or does the hunger start shortly before your next meal? If constant and you're finding it's getting the better of you, get a fill. If not, go back to my first statement. Even normal weight people feel hunger shortly before their meal.

If you decide to get a fill, you can always get just a small one. Take it slow for 2 weeks after a fill. If you need to, do liquids for a day or two and then go to mushies. I never had any reaction right after a fill, but 2 weeks later, wham...I'd get the restriction. Take small bites, chew well and *wait* after you take a bite to see how your band deals with it. *Never* take another bite if you feel even the slightest pressure...it will just make it worse. Just wait and let it settle...and it usually will. When it does, take another. Sometimes my first bite will go down hard...not stuck, just pressure. When it eases and I take the second bite, it generally does just fine.

You'll be fine...don't be afraid based on the posts here. The scary ones stand out but there are many who never get stuck or PB. :)

I agree with Elfie. It sounds as though you are doing fine at the moment so if you don't need the fill don't get it.

I am wondering when you say you stick to soft foods what you are eating? Are you eating things such as meat,fish,chicken? These are important as Proteins help to keep you full longer and are the type of foods that the band works best with. Or are you avoiding these kind of foods because of your fear of getting stuck/vomiting?

If you are avoiding these kind of foods because of your fear I think that needs to be addressed. Yes getting stuck hurts but it can be avoided by following the rules - small bits, eating slowly,chewing well etc. Most people do not vomit postband. They slime or PB which is totally different. It is nothing like vomiting. It is more like when you have bad post nasal drip and you have to cough up a lot of mucus. No bile, no sour taste, no stomach contractions.

Don't let your fear put you off using your band to its full potential but also don't go and get a fill if you don't need one.

I am right there with you Jodi. My lapband surgery was on May 28, 2010 and I am at the 5 1/2 month mark myself. I just had my 4th fill this past Monday. The other 3 were not hard at all as my doctor is not agressive with fills. He does not tell me the amount of Fluid he puts in. He said he doesn't want me focused on that. He did tell me that he only adds .5 cc's at a time. This time I have had more difficulty with swelling than ever before. I did Clear Liquids for 2 days, creamy Soups and yogurt for 2 days and then tried to move on to mushies. Woooaaaa... hold up... my stomach was not ready for that yet. I could only take a few bites of refried Beans and cheese and I was done. I have not thrown up since surgery but I thought I was going to. My mouth was watering like crazy but I was determined not to. I got up and walked around... went outside for some fresh air and the feeling passed as quickly as it came on. Today has been much better and it is amazing the difference a day can make!

I totally understand your concern and fears. Ask your doctor for small fills so you wont have any issues. The band is a tool for life and it will take time for us to learn our new way of eating. I wish you the best!