Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greeting from Fort Smith, AR! I will be banded December 3. In a week from today I go on my two week pre-op liquid diet and I'm a mixture of emotions right now. My family and I went to Golden Corral tonight. Each time I put something on my plate, I thought, "This is probably the last time I'll get to eat this".... and I don't want to say I was sad about it, but I guess maybe I was just a little bit.:)

I've gained and lost enough weight to embarrass myself by even guessing the amount. I have always been able to lose weight and sometimes lose alot of it. The problem has always been that I ALWAYS felt hungry. I always felt like I was depriving myself. It felt good to lose weight and get the compliments, but once the weight started coming back, I was embarrassed and humiliated and felt like a failure.

This is it for me. I'll turn 40 in less than 2 years and I want to start living my life.

My biggest concern, I suppose is how do I interact with my family and friends and still be able to go out to dinner with them? What about cooking dinner? Does anybody still cook for their families? I'm mostly scared about "getting stuck" or getting sick at work or in public. What about drinking? I like to go out with friends on occasion and have a few drinks; will I be able to do that anymore? I've read you aren't supposed to have beer or soda, so will I have to give that up as well?

I quit smoking as part of this journey and have gained weight during my "waiting" for the surgery. Have any of you quit smoking? Do any of you still smoke? I want to be healthy but it's not easy changing a lifetime of habits...

I appreciate any feedback. I could certainly use some support!

Hi there in Fort Smith. I'm three months since banding and I can honestly say that it's the best thing I have ever done for myself. As the weight comes off, I feel better, look better, breathe better, move better . . .

I don't wish I could eat like I used to. In fact, I don't miss is at all. When I think of buffets before, I can't believe I used to eat that much. Now I eat so little, and yet feel so satisfied. I was at a buffet supper at a dinner theatre last week and the chef carving the beef asked me why I had so little on my plate. I answered that it was all I needed. And it was all I wanted as well.

And as to not being able to eat things I used to enjoy, if I really want to eat something, then I do. I have one bite of it. I enjoy that bite. I eat it slowly. I savour it. I take as long to eat that one bite as it takes everyone else to eat an entire serving! I don't feel deprived. I can have my treat and still lose the weight.

So instead of thinking of your old life ending (the last buffet, the last pizza party . . . ) look ahead with great anticipation of your new life.

I wish you success and happiness - you deserve it.

Edited by Ravey

Great response Ravey. I'm waiting for the day I can say those words too. I hope to be banded close to Christmas and can't wait. I have had a lot of time to think about this decision and I know in my heart its the right thing to do. I want to feel exactly like you do. In fact I believe I already do. Its quote like yours that give others like us hope. Thanks you.

Oh my gosh! Breathing? I think about that everyday as I trek from the parking lot to my office. I watch the thin people and think about how I can't wait until the day that I don't "think" about it when I walk from my car into work. I told my doctor that I wonder what I will be doing with all my free time when I'm no longer using it for thinking about being thin, looking at other thin people longingly (LOL) and not feeling self-concious. He laughed and said he understood. (He recently had bypass surgery). I can hardly wait. Not just that but I have sleep apnea and according to my doctor, in the 5 hours I slept during the test, I quit breathing 27 times for more than 30 seconds. He said I will finally get a good nights sleep once the weight starts to come off and that will make such a difference in my life as well. I can hardly wait!

weight.png

Honestly, you are going to be fine.

I cook for my family nearly every night and I usually eat whatever they're having. We eat out and I even go to the Chinese buffet every now and then. The key is to gain control and manage it all with moderation. That's the great thing about the band. You don't feel the need to eat everything at the buffet. You pick and choose whatever you want the most and you are happy with your choice. The only thing I've given up totally with the band is soda and beer. For me, those were no big deal. I've tried them both several times, but I don't feel well when I eat them.

It does take some time to learn how to eat with your band, but once you've got it figured out, you will know how to handle restaurants. I love Soup and appetizers, much more than large Entrees.

I was very nervous before my surgery and I think I gained 10 lbs in the month before the big day, but it was a waste of energy. It was all fine. Relax...you'll be fine.

Cindy

I also cook for my family (usually my fiance and I, but when I'm home, my entire family). I'm really passionate about it actually (I post a lot of recipes on my blog if you're looking for ideas...theres also a great cooking section on LBT). Cooking for your family actually becomes a really awesome thing because you can cook them healthy and delicious meals and you can all eat better together (whether your family is thin or not, everyone can benefit from eating healthier foods!).

Thanks! That helps a lot! I'm trying to take it in stride and already feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that in and of itself makes it all worth it!

Fort Smith....you sound exactly like me! I also have the same concerns with being banded (12/9) I also quit smoking a month ago and I have gained weight...which the dr office really frowns upon. But eventhough I have gained a few lbs, I know that I'm better off not smoking. Drinking is another concern for me as well. I'm a social drinker so hanging out with friends is going to really be hard without my two other friends (cigarettes and alcohol) My ultimate goal is to get healthier, be around for my kids and feel better about my self. So in the grand scheme of things, how important is a cigarette or a drink? Not very huh?

Good luck to you and keep up posted on your progess!! We can do this!!

Greeting from Fort Smith, AR! I will be banded December 3. In a week from today I go on my two week pre-op liquid diet and I'm a mixture of emotions right now. My family and I went to Golden Corral tonight. Each time I put something on my plate, I thought, "This is probably the last time I'll get to eat this".... and I don't want to say I was sad about it, but I guess maybe I was just a little bit.:(

I've gained and lost enough weight to embarrass myself by even guessing the amount. I have always been able to lose weight and sometimes lose alot of it. The problem has always been that I ALWAYS felt hungry. I always felt like I was depriving myself. It felt good to lose weight and get the compliments, but once the weight started coming back, I was embarrassed and humiliated and felt like a failure.

This is it for me. I'll turn 40 in less than 2 years and I want to start living my life.

My biggest concern, I suppose is how do I interact with my family and friends and still be able to go out to dinner with them? What about cooking dinner? Does anybody still cook for their families? I'm mostly scared about "getting stuck" or getting sick at work or in public. What about drinking? I like to go out with friends on occasion and have a few drinks; will I be able to do that anymore? I've read you aren't supposed to have beer or soda, so will I have to give that up as well?

I quit smoking as part of this journey and have gained weight during my "waiting" for the surgery. Have any of you quit smoking? Do any of you still smoke? I want to be healthy but it's not easy changing a lifetime of habits...

I appreciate any feedback. I could certainly use some support!

Thanks! That helps a lot! I'm trying to take it in stride and already feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that in and of itself makes it all worth it!

I think I enjoy cooking now more than ever. I cooked for my extended family last night. Everything that I cooked was healthy. Roast, carrots, mushrooms, green Beans and green peas. I did cook rice because my Dad wanted it. I ate roast mushrooms and green beans. I was full after eating only 3 ounces. I have found that I enjoy being with my family more as weird as that may sound. Nobody really pays attention to what I am not eating. When I find myself dwelling on the "how I use to be ABLE to eat" mentality. I quickly make myself remember the weight loss so far and the fact that I do not take pain meds for my hips and knees, and I am off of one of my blood pressure meds and I can breathe....Always dwell on the things that are positive that is what will get you there. Expand on your dreams of "This time next year..." Blessing to you on your journey!