Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you handle eating out w/co-workers?

For the first year I avoided going out to lunch with people at the office. Many were aware that I was losing weight and assumed that I was not eating out as I was bringing lunch in to suit my dietary needs...

Anyway, I'm almost there and it seems more and more I'm at lunch both business and social and feel a bit odd being the one who never finishes the meal, plus the fact that I eat R-E-A-L-L-Y slow. Initially, I limited foods to Soups, crabcakes... from the appetizer menu. However, I get the looks.. followed by, that's all you're eating?

I've given every excuse in the book from I ate a late Breakfast or I'm just getting over a bug and want to eat light.

No, these people are NOT my friends and it's none of their business that I have a LAP-BAND®®. Eating out w/friends is fine as they are all aware and know why I'm pacing myself. The last thing I want is to get stuck while at a restaurant and yes, it's happened twice in the last year - not a pleasant experience - once with a co-worker and once w/my family.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

I eat things like Pasta, frittata, quiche - things that I know are not going to get stuck. To me that is more important when I am out than choosing low cal options. So far no-one has noticed or commented on how slow or what i am eating.

I had the same problem last year when I was on jury duty for a nasty murder. These people do get to know you, but I never felt like having my lap-band be the topic of everyone's conversation. I usually ordered Soup, but many times, sandwiches were the only option. I always ate a little and then packed the rest up for my husband. I used the excuse that I wouldn't have to cook dinner, if I brought him something. I don't know if this will work for you, but you could also blame children, pets or even yourself, but everyone understands the desire to avoid cooking dinner!

Cindy

I think a lot of the "Is that all you're eating?" questions are just an attempt to make conversation. In response, I think it'd just be easiest to just look them in the eye, shrug, and say something like, "Yep! I'm on a special diet." then smile, and say, "What do you think? Don't I look better than I did before?" Then change the subject, and ask them how they like their meal, or something.

Social lunches can be awkward. Luckily, at my work, I've never felt the urge to eat lunch out with coworkers, so after I have my surgery it won't be an issue. I hope. :(

Dave

I agree with Dave. All of my co-workers know and for the vendors they need not know. I eat what I want and tell them that I am counting my calories and like Dave suggested, I turn the conversation over to another topic.:(

All my co-workers know I'm banded, so that helps. I have gone out to lunch with them and I just get a bowl of Soup. If you go and they ask if that's all you're eating, just say "yes, I'm not very hungry right now."

Everyone in my office has noticed and most have commented on my weight loss. Therefore, they make comments like, "she is being so good, that's all she is eating" or "no wonder she is losing weight, she only eats Soup and no fried stuff." I talk about working out 5-6 days a week and journaling my meals (calories) so they seem to take it at that. I have 8 co-workers and only 3 know because the others talk way too much and tell their business and anybody else's they know. A lady in our work system, not our office, had gastric bypass and I commented about her having lost so much weight and one of those "talkative" co-workers stated, "oh, she had gastric bypass." I had no idea, but knew I would never tell her anything personal. I don't know if that lady wanted everyone to know.

Most of us bring our lunch and/or go get it and bring it back to the office to eat, so we are at a table together. When I do go out to eat with co-workers, it is almost always only the ones (3) that know. I only eat out with the other 5 is for a special occasion.

Edited by SVM10

I usually go out every Friday with coworkers, but only my closest friends who know about the surgery. I'm currently 6 weeks post-op with no restrictions on diet (of course only healthy items, but i'm well into solid foods). If/When I dont finish my lunch, they understand. If there are others there who dont know I've had surgery and they ask why I didn't finish lunch, I simply say "I am full" or "I had a little snack earlier and am full". It works beautifully - and there really arent any prodding questions that go along... its cut-and-dry reason, and it's true.

If I can't choose the place we eat, where I know what is easier for me, I stick to Soups. There is virtually no chance at things getting stuck, are easier to eat at a non-glacial pace and are usually pretty filling too.