Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days after surgery... having hard time getting shakes down

Hello,

I had my surgery on Wednesday Nov 10th and I'm having a hard time getting the Protein Shakes down. Have had a little Water, few sips of broth and sugar free Popsicle's have really helped the sore throat. Just don't have much of a appetite and can not force the shakes down. Does this feeling pass? I'm worried going on my 3rd day with no food and hardly any liquids. Still swollen and gassy which is probably why I feel full. Should I just wait until I'm able to get them down?

Ooops, I just realized I posted this under the Pre-op forum instead of the Post-op forum. Sorry about that....

Try drinking warm liquids. That may help. Warm soups..like Tomato etc, try moving around more and see if that helps. I have some gas issues still sometimes after I eat, havent quit figured that out yet, also i had trouble belching after surgery which can cause some pain, i still have trouble with that. Try some gas x.

You should try Isoprure ready made Protien drinks. It is clear in fruit flavors. You can buy them in GNC!

My post op instructions were ice cold liquids only. Heat will only make the swelling worse. I also found it helpful to keep an ice pack on my belly (high and to the left) longer than they told me. It seems like a slow healing process at first, but does get better. I hope you are doing better soon.

Really quick for you, walk, walk, walk, walk. sip sip sip sip.... That is the trick, two days out post op was hard for me, each day got easier. I FORCED myself to take in the liquid. FORCED and it worked. If your Protein doesn't get up there you will be dizzy and woozy. It also helps in the healing process. Good luck!

The first week for me was the worst. I was only able to drink about 2 oz of an Ensure at a time. I had a barium swallow at two weeks out to see why I still felt so full. I had a huge gas bubble that was causing me a lot of pain and misery that was "trapped". Dr told me to lay on my left side, propped up. Weird, but after about an hour, when I stood up, I had the greatest burp ever and I felt much better.

This was my experience immediately post-op too. Walking helped tremendously. Everything was done in slow motion too - both the walking and ingesting of fluids.

...walk, walk, walk, walk. sip sip sip sip.... That is the trick, two days out post op was hard for me, each day got easier. I FORCED myself to take in the liquid. FORCED and it worked.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I know its a learning process so I will just try my best to Force myself to drink them. I know that it will eventually get easier... by the way... does the gas go away or do people find they are more gassy since being banded? It's so uncomfortable... I can't imagine always having gas like this!

The first week for me was the worst. I was only able to drink about 2 oz of an Ensure at a time. I had a barium swallow at two weeks out to see why I still felt so full. I had a huge gas bubble that was causing me a lot of pain and misery that was "trapped". Dr told me to lay on my left side, propped up. Weird, but after about an hour, when I stood up, I had the greatest burp ever and I felt much better.

Thanks for the tip...I am going to try it!