Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bi-polar, stable on meds;effect psych eval?

HI,

I am bi-polar ( a type of depression) since the age of 22 and am very stable on my current medication. I am now almost 40. How is this condition going to effect my psych eval? Has anyone else had depression and gone through a eval? Please anything you can share would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I have bi-polar disorder as well. I am currently off meds and was during my psych eval too. I was still upfront with them about it and said that my being off meds was a decision made by myself and my psych. It shouldn't be a problem. If it is, I'd ask for a 2nd opinion. Good luck!

I have bi-poloar and was cleared for surgey. I am also stable on meds. I was upfront during the psyc. eval. She wanted to talk to my psychologist and psychiatrist. I think she was just covering all the bases. I also have addiction issues, I was upfront about that too. She warned me about addiction transfer. Her concern was that since I couldn't use food, I would go back to marijuana or gambling. This has not been the case. I was in therapy when I was banded. The counselor and I decided together I didn't need it anymore. Since you abloutely need to be honest about the meds, I encourage you to be upfront about the bi-polar. Since your stable, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Congrats on your impending surgery. You are making an important decision to get healthy. Best wishes!

I agree with the other posters. I was diagnosed Bipolar II at 23 and have spent time in the hospital. I've been stable on meds for many years and had no trouble with the psych eval. She indicated they were mostly looking at expectations. They want you to understand that this is a tool and is not a fix-all. If your behavior doesn't change and you don't go for checkups and fills, you will not lose the weight. They want to make sure you understand the risks and that you don't have unrealistic expectations - i.e. you won't be a size 0 model and won't lose it all on in a couple months - it takes time and effort, the band just makes the effort much easier.

Good luck! I was banded in the end of June and am down 50 lbs as of today and couldn't be happier with the procedure and results.

I also have a diagnosis of bipolar II and I am stable on medication. I went to my psychiatrist for my psych eval. I had no problems. Good luck with your journey.

I think they want to make sure you don't have an active eating disorder. Also, they want you to have a realistic picture of what this surgery will and won't do for you. No, it won't solve all of your problems. Yes, you will need to eat healthy, exercise, etc.

I am also bipolar and stable on meds. I had my eval done by my psychiatrist.

My surgeon also discussed over eating and bipolar as he has had several bipolar patients have trouble following the diet. But, I made it.

I have bipolar as well. The Only thing that was a concern with them is they wanted me to be banded instead of rny because of the malabsorption of meds. Otherwise they have a lot of bipolar banded patients that are successful. I had surgery the end of may and down 80 pounds with 13 until goal. It is the best thing I could have done to help my depression. I feel so much better all around mentally and physically. Good luck!