Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chili and Soups...Sliders???

I am realizing my food isn't quite "solid" enough (thanks to another poster on here...thanks Melissa!) and this is after being banded for over 2 months. Oy!

So...I am off to revamp my menu. I see that many other people here really like to eat chili as Beans and meat have loads of Protein...but wouldn't chili be a slider, along with broth based Soups? I am thinking I would get lots of Protein but little hunger satisfaction. Lord knows I can get pretty hungry. :rolleyes2:

Hello boiled chicken breast...here I come!!! LOL

Thanks everyone!!!

personally chilli keeps me fuller longer and i cant eat as much of it as i can other things, guess it depends on how thick u make it, Soups dont do anything for me except make me want more lol.

Chili keeps me full. I make it pretty thick.

Cheri

Soups and chili are slider foods for me but I love soups. I do feel satisfied after I eat hearty soups/stews (chili, red lentil, korean soft tofu, cioppino etc). I don't feel super full but I don't feel hungry. If I do feel hungry shortly after, its head hunger. I do a pretty good job lately of calorie counting and stopping when I'm out of calories for the day, so I budget for Soup if I'm having it. Soups like cioppino are great because there are large pieces of seafood and it definitely makes it so I really can't eat more than a cup. A good balance of soup and non-slider items, plus it is nutrient-rich and contains a crazy amount of Protein. I know soups are sliders but I love them and I love making them - as long as I budget for them and practice Portion Control, I won't be giving them up :rolleyes2:

My chili isn't a slider for me because it's quite thick. It amazes me that in the past I wouldn't chew it, but now because of the band, I have to.

I love Soups and will usually have it several times a week through the fall and winter. Yes, most soups are sliders and eating Soup is a bit like drinking while eating, but what I do is drink most of the broth first. Then I eat the soup contents. There's a bit of broth in each spoonful, but not much. Works well.

I do use fitday.com to calculate the Protein, fats and carbs that go into the whole pot. Then I weigh the contents and then I weigh my portion. It's not exact but it gives me some idea of what I'm eating.

I eat chunky Soups and chili often. They are not sliders for me. I have trouble getting in all the Protein, so the chili really helps with that.

Chili makes me insanely full.

After reading this post, I think I want chili for lunch :rolleyes2:

After reading this post, I think I want chili for lunch :)

Yeah...any good chili recipes u want to share? The thicker the better.

Chili has been a life saver for me. This is from the website theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and it is my favorite!!! You will find a lot of great recipes on her website! She had gastric bypass years ago.

Shelly's Night Before Turkey Chili

1 Yellow Onion, diced

3/4 pound Ground Turkey

2 cloves Garlic, chopped

1 Tablespoon Chili powder

1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin

1/2 teaspoon Oregano

Kosher Salt to taste

a few twists of Black Pepper

1 (15 oz) can Chopped Tomatoes with juices

1 (15 oz) can Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed

1 Tablespoon Agave Syrup

Hot sauce to taste

Saute onion till golden. Add turkey and cook breaking up large pieces with a spoon, until it's no longer pink. Add garlic and seasonings. Cook for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool. Refrigerate overnight. Reheat and serve with Shelly's Spicy Yogurt Dip and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.

It also depends on how tight you have your band. I have very tight restriction and most chili or Soups take their time in me to go down, chili especially. I can deal with 3 or 4 bites(small, well chewed bites) and that's usually it, it all depends. Brothier soups I can down more but most brothier soups like chicken noodle still fill me because I usually get the broth down first and only a bite or three of the chicken (if you are the eating the chunkier kind. I usually ending up throwing away the noodles. I can never really finish a whole bowl of Soup or chili.

Here is my chili recipe. I really love it - its delish! I don't eat red meat, pork, or poultry so I add extra firm tofu. But you could add any Protein that you like!

1 Small onion, chopped

1 Large green bell pepper, chopped

3/4 cup Chopped celery

3/4 cup Dry red wine

3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped

2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 1/2 cups Water

1/4 cup Tomato paste

2 Vegetable or chicken Bouillon Cubes

1 tablespoon Chopped fresh cilantro

1 tablespoon Chili powder

1/2 teaspoon Cumin

2 cans (15 ounces each) kidney or pinto Beans, rinsed and drained

1 package extra-firm tofu

Preparation:

COMBINE onion, bell pepper, celery, wine and garlic in large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

ADD tomatoes and juice, Water, tomato paste, boullion, cilantro, chili powder and cumin; stir well. Stir in Beans. Bring to a boil; cover. Reduce heat to low and add in the tofu; cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.

You can also freeze the chili after cooking. Just let it cool completely and then freeze. To defrost, let chili defrost in refrigerator overnight, then heat it up in a sauce pan over medium heat.

I LOVE Soup and could never fully give it up, but I do try to eat chunky Soups or chili most of the time (though I can never resist a creamy Tomato Soup :)). broth alone never lasts long for me, but if there's plenty of meat and veggies in the soup it fills me up. And if I pair that with a tiny little salad, I'm STUFFED.

Really good chili bean recipe's, can't wait to try them. Thanks loads.

Here is my chili recipe. I really love it - its delish! I don't eat red meat, pork, or poultry so I add extra firm tofu. But you could add any Protein that you like!

1 Small onion, chopped

1 Large green bell pepper, chopped

3/4 cup Chopped celery

3/4 cup Dry red wine

3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped

2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 1/2 cups Water

1/4 cup Tomato paste

2 Vegetable or chicken Bouillon Cubes

1 tablespoon Chopped fresh cilantro

1 tablespoon Chili powder

1/2 teaspoon Cumin

2 cans (15 ounces each) kidney or pinto Beans, rinsed and drained

1 package extra-firm tofu

Preparation:

COMBINE onion, bell pepper, celery, wine and garlic in large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

ADD tomatoes and juice, Water, tomato paste, boullion, cilantro, chili powder and cumin; stir well. Stir in Beans. Bring to a boil; cover. Reduce heat to low and add in the tofu; cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.

You can also freeze the chili after cooking. Just let it cool completely and then freeze. To defrost, let chili defrost in refrigerator overnight, then heat it up in a sauce pan over medium heat.

aaaaaaaaand this is why I adore you <3

I've never had chili before so I'm going to try this one tomorrow.