Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water deprivation.

Hello everyone, I am a worshiper of Water. The first thing i do when i start the day is guzzle down 1.5 litres. It makes me feel great! and is one of things that has kept me going in,life when everything else is out of control. Some people go on about the "too much water" moral panic, which while having some truth in the extreme, after much research i have discovered that allocated amounts of healthy Water consumption is largely relative to our lifestyle and bodies functioning.

Anyway, after speaking with a lapband consultant, i have discovered that if i were to go through with surgery, i would no longer be able to have my water guzzling session in the morning. Which has really given me something to chew on in my decision making, because this ritual has benefited me so much over the years.

I am wanting to know if i would ever be able to drink large amounts of water again. Does anyone know?

I questioned the possibility that after a couple of years of the surgery, i might get to a stage where ,my size, eating habits and diet might have gotten to a stage where i could do things like this without the band (on a technical level) preventing me in any way.

I am hoping that someone on here might have some answers to this.

The consultant said (in a sort of automated way, lovely, intelligent, enthusiastic and attentive though she is) that it might be that i wont want to have that amount of water once the band is in place etc. But this is missing the point. I do not see that as a good thing, as water is very important for giving your body energy and eliminating toxins, i am not sure that i would be able to tolerate sacrificing my healthy 1.5 litre start to the day for the lapband and would appreciate any comments or solutions people have to offer with regard to this.

Many thanks,

Love Dune.

I didn't realize drinking Water was a moral issue :thumbup:

Getting the LAP-BAND® might require a variety of lifestyle changes; many people feel these changes are worth achieving a healthy weight, some don't. Personally, I'm not able to guzzle large amounts of liquid all at once, but as a runner I do drink a lot, spreading it out over the course of the day, and drinking even more before and after exercise; I just can't chug it, though sometimes I would love to! If I was insistent on chugging, I would not have had the band, lost the weight, enjoyed improved health, or gained the ability to run or engage in a healthy lifestyle. It's a tradeoff that was worth it to me--I'm still hydrated, and healthier than I ever thought I would be. Sticking to my preferred rate of Water intake was not going to prevent me from saving my life. :(

Edited by L12

Do not think the band stops most people from drinking a large amount of Water it just goes straight through unless you are too tight.

But spreading your Water out during the day if you had to is just a small lifestyle change and with the band you have to change many different things. If you are not willing to change things maybe the sleeve would be better for you. But do your research and then decide. Good luck to you in making the right choice.

Cheri

I didn't realize drinking Water was a moral issue :thumbup:
it really is *nods* :(
Getting the LAP-BAND®® might require a variety of lifestyle changes; many people feel these changes are worth achieving a healthy weight, some don't. Personally, I'm not able to guzzle large amounts of liquid all at once, but as a runner I do drink a lot, spreading it out over the course of the day, and drinking even more before and after exercise; I just can't chug it, though sometimes I would love to! If I was insistent on chugging, I would not have had the band, lost the weight, enjoyed improved health, or gained the ability to run or engage in a healthy lifestyle. It's a tradeoff that was worth it to me--I'm still hydrated, and healthier than I ever thought I would be. Sticking to my preferred rate of Water intake was not going to prevent me from saving my life. :wink5:

Thanks for this L12, most helpful. When you said that you cant chug it though sometimes you would love to, did you mean that you cant because the lap band prevents you from being able to take in a large amount of Fluid, or is this just something you were unable to do anyway?

Its very reassuring to see that you are still able to do physical activities without being fully hydrated, although this could be a concern for me.

How long ago did you have it done? Have you found that you can consume more Fluid as time has gone on?

Many thanks,

Dune

Do not think the band stops most people from drinking a large amount of Water it just goes straight through unless you are too tight.

But spreading your Water out during the day if you had to is just a small lifestyle change and with the band you have to change many different things. If you are not willing to change things maybe the sleeve would be better for you. But do your research and then decide. Good luck to you in making the right choice.

Cheri

Thanks for this Cheri, this is fairly reassuring, maybe i will have to have less, but, maybe not drastically so.

Its hard though, that 1.5 - 2 litres in the morning really changes my day for the better. Weight loss is one thing, but efficient toxin elimination, especially as i get older just feels like something that i shouldnt compromise, happy to change the unhealthy part of my diet but are the healthy parts worth compromising. I guess there are identity issues here as well, its something that makes me me, i am known in my area for being the girl that always carries around a bottle of water wherever i go, but i do this because it makes me feel great, its a very underestimated commodity. *sighs* whats to do? :thumbup:

Many thanks,

Dune

Edited by Dune
typos

Whilst the sleeve is a good option I do not believe that it means you don't have to change things. It is still a restrictive only type of procedure the same as the band and success with it is dependant on making healthy food choices etc.

I am not sure that drinking 1.5 litres of Water in one go is any healthier than drinking that same amount over a period of time.With a band you will probably drink a bit slower but generally it is not enough of a difference to be a problem. So long as you don't drink with or straight after food then the Water will go down pretty fast.

You will still be able to drink enough to be healthy and satisfied and as the others have pointed out the weight loss will make you a lot healthier. If you had to weigh up which would benefit your health more, then losing weight is of more benefit than guzzling water. Not that you really need to make that choice.

What I think is that you are not yet emotionally ready to be banded and you are using this as a reason not to get the band. That is fine - no-one should get a band if they are not ready.

When you are ready the water will not be an issue.

it really is *nods* :thumbup:

Thanks for this L12, most helpful. When you said that you cant chug it though sometimes you would love to, did you mean that you cant because the LAP-BAND® prevents you from being able to take in a large amount of Fluid, or is this just something you were unable to do anyway?

Its very reassuring to see that you are still able to do physical activities without being fully hydrated, although this could be a concern for me.

How long ago did you have it done? Have you found that you can consume more Fluid as time has gone on?

Many thanks,

Dune

I am so confused...I am fully hydrated (didn't say I wasn't:confused:). Overall it is the amount you consume, not simply the rate it is consumed, that provides hydration. I used to be a chugger, and usually cannot now due to the band. However, I started drinking much more since being banded than I did prior to surgery, and even more as my exercise increases; right now I usually drink a gallon or more per day, spread out in my awake hours. Healthy lifestyle and all that; some changes are for the better...

I drink Water very freely; the band does not impede my ability to do so one iota, and never has. I've never had to sip gingerly---I just drink. And I do have good restriction.

I am so confused...I am fully hydrated (didn't say I wasn't:confused:). Overall it is the amount you consume, not simply the rate it is consumed, that provides hydration. I used to be a chugger, and usually cannot now due to the band. However, I started drinking much more since being banded than I did prior to surgery, and even more as my exercise increases; right now I usually drink a gallon or more per day, spread out in my awake hours. Healthy lifestyle and all that; some changes are for the better...

I am sorry L12 i dont want to confuse you, i seem to have that affect on people :rolleyes2:

I should have quoted you, i was referring to what you were saying about when you have been running...

and drinking even more before and after exercise; I just can't chug it, though sometimes I would love to!

But wow a Gallon, thats about 4 litres isnt it, that is excellent stuff, very relieving, i think i might be able to live with 4 having 4 litres a day. Thats very reassuring thanks. With the band then, do you physically feel that you can not fit as much Water in, in the same way that you physically feel that you can not fit as much food in. Could too much Water cause you to convulse?

Many thanks,

Dune

Same here, i can drink normally.

That said, I'm not sure I could down 1.5 litres first thing in the morning and if I did, I'm not sure I could eat any Breakfast, I'd be too full.

If you have to cut it back some, just make it up at another time. Moral issue or not, you dont truly NEED 1.5 litres of Water at a time. Your health wont suffer if you only drink 750 ml in the morning once you're banded.

But technically, the band wont impede your ability to drink unless you're too tight. But in answer to your question, gulp down a glass of cold Water on a sensitive early morning stomach (as bands tend to be tight first thing) and it a) cause you pain and :rolleyes2: cause you to vomit.

I personally cant drink very cold things either, it gives me intense cramping.

I drink Water very freely; the band does not impede my ability to do so one iota, and never has. I've never had to sip gingerly---I just drink. And I do have good restriction.

WOW THANK YOU AMAZING, JUST WHAT I NEEDED TO HEAR!!! :rolleyes2:

So, you do not feel any discomfort when you are drinking water if you have had over a certain amount? sorry, just wanting to clarify.

Many thanks,

Dune

I am sorry L12 i dont want to confuse you, i seem to have that affect on people :eek:

I should have quoted you, i was referring to what you were saying about when you have been running...

But wow a Gallon, thats about 4 litres isnt it, that is excellent stuff, very relieving, i think i might be able to live with 4 having 4 litres a day. Thats very reassuring thanks. With the band then, do you physically feel that you can not fit as much Water in, in the same way that you physically feel that you can not fit as much food in. Could too much water cause you to convulse?

Many thanks,

Dune

I can definitely get full on liquid, the same as I did before banding; it usually goes through the pouch readily, but if I drink a lot at a time, it gives me a full feeling; I haven't really tested how much I can drink in one sitting, but I haven't felt limited yet. I don't worry too much about drinking excessively; I live in Florida and usually run outside, and it has only recently begun to cool down here :rolleyes2:; plus I take in plenty of salt in my diet, and sometimes drink sports drinks too.

Maybe I should clarify on the sipping; I suppose that sounds like tiny little sips, but I guess I mean normal drinks? What I DON'T mean is tipping back a jug and gulp-gulp-gulping it down at once--that is a recipe for disaster for me, as I guess air gets trapped (?) and some liquid is likely to come back up! I can handle a big mouthful at a time, just not several in immediate succession, if that makes any sense! :blush:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Water. I was a heavy water drinker before and now I quite possibly drink even more. I cannot chug-a-lug like I used to but I space it out throughout the day. I always have at LEAST one bottle of water with me at all times. The only thing that bothers me if I try to chug the water is that I feel pain in my upper stomache. (It will streatch out your pouch if you drink too much at one time, just like food)

I can drink Water as quickly as I ever could. Immediately after surgery I was told about 1 oz. every 15 minutes. But after I returned to a full diet, I've had no problems, except for drinking too close to a meal. If I chug then, it will all come back up.

Each individual is different how they react. You'll need to decide if being healthier via the band is worth the risk of only being able to drink water and not chug it. It might be a trade-off you need to make. It might not be.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Water. I was a heavy water drinker before and now I quite possibly drink even more. I cannot chug-a-lug like I used to but I space it out throughout the day. I always have at LEAST one bottle of water with me at all times. The only thing that bothers me if I try to chug the water is that I feel pain in my upper stomache. (It will streatch out your pouch if you drink too much at one time, just like food)

Glad to see there are others like me, its great isnt it! You drink even more water? wow, thats very cool, do you think the band might have something to do with this?

Annoying about the chug a lugging, thats something that i would miss, there is nothing like the feeling of satisfaction, completion, energy and hydration that you get from sculling a nice 1.5 litre bottle of Buxton (or whatever your preference).

Thanks AngryBaby, btw, i love your screen name.

Dune.