Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water deprivation.

I can drink Water as quickly as I ever could. Immediately after surgery I was told about 1 oz. every 15 minutes. But after I returned to a full diet, I've had no problems, except for drinking too close to a meal. If I chug then, it will all come back up.

Each individual is different how they react. You'll need to decide if being healthier via the band is worth the risk of only being able to drink water and not chug it. It might be a trade-off you need to make. It might not be.

Thanks Cocoabean, its really encouraging the amount of replys there are saying that it hasnt changed things too drastically water wise.

When you say you can drink water as quickly as you ever could, what does the ever could stand for, were you much of a conscious water guzzler before you had the op? or just a normal "drink water when thirsty" kind of person?

Your definitely right about the trade off point, and everyone's answers here are much appreciated in the information they are giving me to help decide what to do.

Many thanks,

Dune

Thanks Cocoabean, its really encouraging the amount of replys there are saying that it hasnt changed things too drastically Water wise.

When you say you can drink water as quickly as you ever could, what does the ever could stand for, were you much of a conscious water guzzler before you had the op? or just a normal "drink water when thirsty" kind of person?

Your definitely right about the trade off point, and everyone's answers here are much appreciated in the information they are giving me to help decide what to do.

Many thanks,

Dune

Hi Dune,

I cannot say that I chug 1.5 liters in a hurry. And I guess it is a matter of one's own definition of chugging.

I can drink a .75 liter bottle of water easily without stopping. I could probably do more, I've just never put it to the test since banding. I always have water nearby for continual drinking throughout the day, but do not feel the urge to drink as you do. For me, my band is not so tight that it restricts liquid from passing through.

You should also read around the forum about how many people's bands are tighter in the morning, and they just don't feel like they can consume anything first thing in the morning. This is fairly common among bandsters.

If not being able to drink your water in the morning is a deal breaker, reconsider your options. I don't say this to be mean, but the three major WLS procedures these days are restrictive in nature-creating a smaller stomach. Do research bypass and sleeve to see if they allow for free consumption of liquids.< /p>

Hi Dune,

I cannot say that I chug 1.5 liters in a hurry. And I guess it is a matter of one's own definition of chugging.

I can drink a .75 liter bottle of Water easily without stopping. I could probably do more, I've just never put it to the test since banding. I always have water nearby for continual drinking throughout the day, but do not feel the urge to drink as you do. For me, my band is not so tight that it restricts liquid from passing through.

You should also read around the forum about how many people's bands are tighter in the morning, and they just don't feel like they can consume anything first thing in the morning. This is fairly common among bandsters.

If not being able to drink your water in the morning is a deal breaker, reconsider your options. I don't say this to be mean, but the three major WLS procedures these days are restrictive in nature-creating a smaller stomach. Do research bypass and sleeve to see if they allow for free consumption of liquids.

Thanks Cocoabean, i am starting to get a good picture here. I think things would change a bit, but perhaps not enough for it to be the trauma that originally worried it might be. Definitely something i would need to say goodbye to doing in exactly the same way as i used to.

Its a definite no for bypass, no matter what, much too permanent and inflexible, dont like to do anything that i can not undo :rolleyes2:

Many thanks,

Dune.

Thanks for the compliment <3 It is also my XBOX 360 gamertag. Oh man I'm ALWAYS thirsty since surgery. I absolutely have to have a water bottle beside me when I go to bed at night. I wake up every couple of ours and have a couple of drinks. Like I said I always have AT LEAST one Water bottle with me at all times lol

Actually virtually nothing turns out the be the trauma you imagine when you're considering banding.

Like we said in the other post, for better or for worse you still CAN comfort eat. The foods that you cant eat, the ones that just wont go down or stay down (different for everyone) you dont tend to miss, they start to revolt you after a while, or at the very least they cease to become attractive.

Likewise, if you cant drink 1.5 litres in the morning, you'll probably end up finding you dont feel any better or any worse for that and it wont worry you. If you're a big Water drinker you will be able to remain that way, you just might do it a little differently.

I am shocked that you can even drink that much Water to begin with! i couldnt drink or eat that much volume prior to the band at one time! i have a hard time drinking water or any fliuds for that matter as much as we are sposed to so it is eye opening that anyone would be worried about drinking that much to begin with.

My question for you is..Why are you considering being banded?

it is a huge lifestyle change and commitment, and like other posters have mentioned..maybe the benefits dont outweigh the sacrifices for you. Its not for everyone and theres nothing wrong with making different choice. It is supposed to improve our quality of life not make it worse.