Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey...another new one :)

Hey guys! Im Paige, 29 year old Mom of a three year old little boy! He is my life..and I love every second with him. Lately, its getting harder and harder to be active with him though. My knees hurt...my hips hurt.... :(

So, I am really struggling here. My BMI is currently just over a 39 (only about 4lbs from a 40). Insurance will not yet cover me....because my comorbidies are not life threatening. I recently went to the doctor today...and started my "doctors supervised weight loss" Insurance requires me to do this for 6 months prior to getting the surgery..and ONLY if I am a 40 BMI. I know I need this surgery....I HURT ALL THE TIME. I have acid reflux and my hubby and I would love to have another child, but we know I am too heavy to get pregnant now...its just unhealthy.

My doctor is not supportive. He once again put me on diet pills and told me to "step away from the table" ugh!

I have found someone who will do the surgery...but its 10,000. I am concerned if something happens to the lap band, and I have to pay to fix it....10,000 is about the only money I have access to....and if something happened....I would be in trouble.

So, do I wait and see if insurance will cover it? Has insurance ever turned anyone over 40 down that did all that they required? I mean...I guess I can deal for 6 months...but......I really just want this weight off now so I can get on with my life, and hubby and I can wait the year for another baby. My son is already over three...so I dont want them to be 10 years apart lol

I realize I wrote a novel, and yall dont know me! I am just do torn!! :thumbup:

Edited by nursemommypaige

Welcome!!

They had a survey on here somewhere and actually most people would gain weight on purpose to hit the 40 bmi. I was surprised but i am way over that so I haven't had that issue.

You definitely need a different doctor!! Mine have never been anything less than supportive. He did want me to try on my own again just because I am young and I failed so he has given me the go ahead.. . They should never say anything rude! :thumbup:

thanks for being supportive..I was kinda wondering if I might get bashed for saying what I said, but I am only 4lbs away, ya know?? AND I HURT...all the time. Sciatic nerve pain is KILLING me.

Welcome,

I'm sorry you are experiencing so much pain. Have you tried PT for your sciatica? I agree that a new doc would help. The guy sounds like a jerk. (diet pills? ugh!) Shop around.

I was self pay also, my BMI wasn't high enough and I wanted it Right Now. Check into the financing options, they aren't as bad a you might think. When I had a complication, my insurance wouldn't cover it though. (I had a dilation and had my old band taken out and a new one put in).

It has been worth the bucks to be thin. I've gone from a size 20 to a 6 and my back and arthritis pain are much less. My blood fats and blood pressure are normal also. It's so cool to buy clothes in the normal department. I swear people are nicer to me too...

Good luck in your journey!