Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

low BMI before surgery - does it correlate with slow weight loss?

I was just curious if maybe some people lost faster b/c they had more to lose. Please post your pre-surgery BMI and your lbs per week loss so far and we will evaluate if my thoery is correct.

I'll go 1st:

presurgical BMI 38

loss so far: 1.6 lbs per week

presurgery bmi was 347 1/2 months Ive lost 46 poundsI think it may have something to do with it-just know its slooooooooowwwww

I'm not sure if this theory hold Water for me.

My BMI was 36, 5'9" 246 and I'm 179 now 7.5 months out. Loss of 67 pounds.

I can say, the last 29 are shaping up to be a B*****.

Curious to seee how others fit ito the thepry.

Great thread.

I'm about the same stats as Debby above, same starting height, weight and BMI.

I've lost 5.9 kg in the 12 days since surgery (what's that about 13lb or so). I call that very fast, but I bet my weight loss will be slower than someone much heavier. But then again I can no doubt trade increased mobility and fitness and am able to exercise hard and fast right from the start.

I suspect I'll get down to 90kg pretty easily and it will be much harder from there.

BMI Before - 43.4

Height - 5'6

BMI Now - 33.2

Weight Before - 260lbs

Weight Now - 201lbs

I think I worked it out right. I have been banded 8 months and have lost 1.8lbs per week on average.

I started my presurgery diet at 212 and a BMI of 36.6

I had surgery at 203 with a BMI of 34.8

Today, I am 176 with a BMI of 30.2

I am averaging .9 pounds per week.

Except the problem is I have lost .3 pounds in the last 9 weeks (according to the dr scale) and I am basically sitting in the 174-178 range.

I am exercising 60 minutes 5-7 days a week. I am losing inches but I learned in Nan's Holiday Challenge that I am losing them slower than others.

I will not accept that this is where I am going to end up. The lower BMI may be part of it but I have lost weight many times in the past and I want this to be different. I will lose more weight but I think my body and mind are slowly accepting the changes so that this time I won't gain it back.

The last nine weeks have been challenging with no loss and many people having problems here. I thank God that I have been given this tool to help me live a better and more productive life and pray he will give me patience in this journey.

Celeste

Pre-surgery BMI/Weight/Height: 44.2/274/5'6"

Current BMI/Weight: 38.7/240

34 lbs. lost divided by 14 weeks = 2.4 lbs. lost per week

For me the first 30lbs came off easy, it seems like as soon as my BMI went under 40, my weight loss has REALLY slowed down and i'm having to work my band harder.

I started out at 245 in August and lost 14 lbs prior to surgery. I wasn't working very hard at it until my 2 week liquid diet.

I weighed 231 on the day of surgery (9/13/05) at 5'4". I think my BMI was 42.

I'm now down to 203.

Dividing 42 lbs by 19 weeks is an average of 2.21 lbs a week, so I think I'm par for the course.

Mine goes in fits and starts though. For example, I've lost 12 lbs this month, but only lost 4 lbs the month before. :cry I can't quite figure that one out!

My BMI was 30.5 pre-band. I have lost 33 lbs the past 11 months. I have not been following bandster rules the past couple months and have not lost anything... I am slowing down, but only have 15 lbs left to lose.

Hope that helps..

Starting weight of 220, now 10 months post op, 170.

Starting size 18/20, now 10 months post op, size 12.

The first 50 lbs were a breeze. This last 20 lbs I need to lose is kicking my butt!!!

Hi! My BMI before surgery was 33. I was 214 the day of surgery and now I'm down to 189. I haven't had a fill yet, some days I can eat anything, but others are still hard so I don't plan on getting one any time soon either. I really do watch what I eat and I exercise a lot, with weights so I've lost lots of inches due to muscle. I'm averaging about 1-2 lbs. a week now. But there have been some weeks where nothing has come off, then boom- 3 or 4lbs! Getting the band was one of the best things I've EVER done for myself!