Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved Snacks for Liquid Diet

I started my liquid diet today and received my list of guidelines from the nurse. We are allowed Soup and some other items as our 3rd meal.

These other items include: low fat cottage cheese, sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding, low fat yogurt, sugar free Gelatin.

I take that to mean i can have any of those as my in between snack... am I interpreting this correctly?

I had Soup for lunch at 12 and at 3pm i'm having a sugar free pudding and then around 6:30-7 i'll have a shake.

Just want to see from y'alls point of view if i'm following this correctly. Thanks!

From what I'm gathering as I read it you can have any of those items you listed as a 'meal'. Did they say you can have a snack? I'd call and just make sure, couldn't hurt and then you'd know 100% instead of guessing.

The only reason why i assumed it was so, because sugar free Popsicles and Sugar Free pudding was listed. And i'm thinking how could a small 4oz cup of pudding or 1 popsicle be a meal? I'll check... Thanks!

I cant remember now, but I think my surgeon gave me calorie guidelines (maybe 800 or 900? not sure). I remember they told me I should drink 4 shakes a day (each shake had around 190 calories). I don't think I drank 4 - I probably drank 3 and had a snack (similar ones to you - SF popsicle, SF FF pudding, etc). My calorie intake during that time was pretty low (I rarely made it to 800). But all preop diets are so dramatically different, you should just call your surgeons office and see what they say.

I'm on day 7 of my pre-op (Band goes on tomorrow!) and I was not given a calorie goal, I have been limited to 20 grams of Protein per day. (A Carnation SFInstant Breakfast with 1% has 13 grams!) Amazingly, I'm OK, and I've lost 19 lbs this week.

Are you sure it was 20 g of Protein or could they have said carbs. My doctor required at least 50 g of Protein a day pre surgery and 60 after. When your body does not have protein it starts breaking down muscle for fuel. Yes, that includes the heart.

Are you sure it was 20 g of Protein or could they have said carbs. My doctor required at least 50 g of Protein a day pre surgery and 60 after. When your body does not have protein it starts breaking down muscle for fuel. Yes, that includes the heart.

Yup, 20 grams of protein. Fortunately, I'll be "on the other side" in 4 or 5 hours, so I'll be on to 60 -90 grams with the band.

I wasn't given a calorie goal either..it was pretty nebulous like 2 shakes and the 3rd meal could be a Soup, and the list of "you can haves"...

I am so amazed at how varied the different pre-op diets are...

Mine was so structured: low card slim fast for bfast and lunch. Lean Cuisine/Healthy Choice for dinner. No Snacks unless you are ready to binge, then you can have an 80 calorie cup of yogurt.

The target is between 600-800 calories per day.

And I'm drinking Bariatric Advantage Protein Shakes and were advised not to have Boost, Ensure, or Slim Fast. BA shakes have 27G of protein...very high...

My pre-op diet was all food, no Protein shakes because I discovered an incredible intolerance to Protein Shakes in my pre-pre-op trial diet. I had to stick to 800 calories a day with almost no sugar, carbs or fats, including natural ones such as fruit or dark meats. I ate a lot of zucchini, eggplant, lettuce, avocado, raw carrots (not cooked!), plain chicken, plain fish, broth and endless celery. That was basically all I ate for a month. The sugar free drinks and popsicles were also ok, but no coffee or caffeine because of the dehydrating factor.

Although it sounds better than shakes, the diet was longer and it really isn't that much more fun. Go easy on the broth because of its sodium content. On the up side, after about the third day I pretty much lost my appetite and some days I had trouble getting in more than 500 calories. 500 calories of zucchini is a lot of zucchini.