Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

experienced bandsters please help

I had my first fill about 10 days ago, I still feel that i can eat just about what I want but on a few occasions I have had some cabbage and it gave me a little stuck feeling, I try to eat crunch foods because I think it will fill me better, I dont chew too much and easy foods I dont have to chew at all (pasta in sauce etc) I eat allot of raw vegetables but today I had some raw carrot and it made me have some pain in my throat, 2 mins latter I vomited it back up, is this normal to have restriction to just a few different foods and does that mean I need more fill next time i see the doc (two weeks time) or does restriction come and go? I have 7cc in 10cc band at the mo. Please help!!

I had my first fill about 10 days ago, I still feel that i can eat just about what I want but on a few occasions I have had some cabbage and it gave me a little stuck feeling, I try to eat crunch foods because I think it will fill me better, I dont chew too much and easy foods I dont have to chew at all (Pasta in sauce etc) I eat allot of raw vegetables but today I had some raw carrot and it made me have some pain in my throat, 2 mins latter I vomited it back up, is this normal to have restriction to just a few different foods and does that mean I need more fill next time i see the doc (two weeks time) or does restriction come and go? I have 7cc in 10cc band at the mo. Please help!!

I wouldn't call myself experienced but since I had my fill about 4 weeks ago I have noticed that some foods go down easy and others don't. Things like bread, Pasta and rice always get stuck but raw veggies seem to be ok. I noticed that after a week of my fill I felt tighter then I did on the day of my fill and from what I read that is normal.

I don't know if you will need another fill I believe that all depends on how satisfied you are with eating small portions and stay feeling full for 3-4 hours after you eat. I know that I can eat about 1 cup of food and feel full for 3 hours and that is good for me.

If you are losing weight 1-2lbs a week and feel satisfied with your food then I don't see why you would need another fill.

Yip!

The band has a mind of it's own. You'll see the more they put in the weirder it gets. Some days I can eat like a football player. Other days I can only choke down cottage cheese. I guess your stomach can shift frequently which means sometimes there is a little pouch, other days it is bigger. And yes, it does hurt in your throat -- sometimes bad. Weird huh?

The normal fill is somewhere between 4-6 for most people my surgeon said. That takes months. I am wondering why your at a 7 right now. That seems awfully quick. It is supposed to happen over like 4 months or so. Are you sure it is a 7? If there is a model (has 4 or 5 rubber tubes showing restriction levels) in his/her office put your finger in the one that fits your pinky a little tight. That is where you should be.

Edited by angermom

7cc's in a 10cc band and only at first fill? My goodness that's aggressive.

You might need to make your bites much much smaller (pencil eraser or little fingernail sized) and chew very well until things are nearly liquid.

The band can seem tighter & loser at differing times of the day. It's very common to feel tight in the morning and loosen up as the day goes on.

You can fine tune it a bit by choosing warm liquids in the morning to help loosen the band and cold drinks in the evening to help tighten it. Not a guarantee that it will help, but it often does.

Personally I don't think I'd want more fill if I'm having issues with vegetables. I got stuck on broccoli last Monday and told my nurse on Wednesday that I didn't think I needed a fill. She agreed.

Are you staying satisfied for 3 or more hours most of the time on your meals? That is the key question (but not the only one) that helps determine when you need more fill. Get Your Adjustment in the Green Zone | LAP-BAND®

Good luck.

Been thinking about that 7. I am thinking that is not right at all. I did ask on my last visit and he said most people no more than maybe 6 tops. (unless you are an alien species) Been there like 5 times at least. Last visit he said no fill at all. Maybe in Jan or so, only if needed. I lost 70 lbs so far so I think he is right. (in 6 months) I am down to 169 lbs and counting...It's only been since April 19. But I exercise a lot so maybe that has something to do with this all.

Maybe you should get some saline outa there? Call the doc and question him. I flat out ask mine questions like how many time he has messed up, death rate, his re-admissions and hospital and mortality rate, and what mistakes he has made. He admitted that I was one of the few that was "tattooed" with the wrong surgical ink pen. Yeah, 46 and tattooed now. So I just ask him to his face what the "hell" and I actually think he chuckles to himself that I question his abilities and confirmed mistakes. I like his honesty and truthfulness. We are all new to this and make mistakes. I liked that very much.

A 7 seems too drastic. Ask this question in another forum and see what people think. You have nothing to loose except those damn carrorts right? lol~ I would say a "4" at 1 month. No more! A 4.5 at two months. Maybe a full cc at 3 months. Wow, you will feel that one so drink only. 4 can't really feel too much except it made a shift and made it more comfy. The 5 put me right. I was thinking more... but he said no. I do need to eat as my long, platinum waist long hair began to fall out. I paid a lot for that platinum head and don't want to lose it.

All joking aside--- You should call the doc and question him TO HIS FACE. Not over the phone. I just kinda learn everything the hard way and don't want others to go through the stress....

So do it gurl!

:smile2:

Let us know what is up with you!

It concerns me that you say that you don't chew too much and some foods you don't chew at all. Not chewing properly causes blockages, stuck episodes, pbing etc. And be really careful with raw carrots. I have known a number of people have to get an unfil because they got stuck on raw carrot and once stuck it does not like to move.

I had my first fill about 10 days ago, I still feel that i can eat just about what I want but on a few occasions I have had some cabbage and it gave me a little stuck feeling, I try to eat crunch foods because I think it will fill me better, I dont chew too much and easy foods I dont have to chew at all (Pasta in sauce etc) I eat allot of raw vegetables but today I had some raw carrot and it made me have some pain in my throat, 2 mins latter I vomited it back up, is this normal to have restriction to just a few different foods and does that mean I need more fill next time i see the doc (two weeks time) or does restriction come and go? I have 7cc in 10cc band at the mo. Please help!!

#1 Rule - Eat Protein 1st -

Make sure you eat tiny bites - chew very well - eat slowly - That's how you test your restriction - if you are phyiscally full after eating 4 oz of meat.

Eating sliders (food w/sauces - mushies) is going to slide right on thru and you can be as tight as all get up - but you won't feel restriction cuz they are sliders....

It doesn't matter the # of cc in your band - cuz we are all diff.

Edited by IndioGirl55

I dont chew too much

I think that's your problem right there. You should be taking small bites and chewing *well*. Count on getting stuck...and irritating the band area...if you don't. Particularly as you progress with fills.

I started with 4 ccs in the band, the surgeon told me it empty and then the guy who did my first fill under xray said i already had 4 ccs in and then he put another 3 until I had seven - as for feeling full - i dont really know how that really feels, if i am determined then i feel full i think, if i am down i never feel full - it in the mind not in the restriction - but what ever it is it feels good - no more high blood pressure and 36 lbs down in 6 weeks and i feel great