Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems Eating Certain Foods

I'm going on a year post-band, and I've had a few fills, so I'm familiar with how to eat, etc. However, I've noticed that I cannot for the life of me, eat scrambled eggs. I take a bite, chew, (even though its pretty soft already) swallow, put the fork down, wait a min (sometimes 2) pick up the fork and repeat. Once I get to my 3rd or 4th bite, I'm literally in agony from pain. I'm not taking large bites, I'm chewing it well enough, I'm letting it go down, I just don't get what is causing the issue. I know in the mornings it's tighter, however it's when I eat them for Breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Does anyone else have issues like this with other foods?

Knock on wood, but I haven't had problems with any food as of yet. I know everyone is different. Good luck to you.

I can't tolerate eggs either. It's a bummer because I like them and they are full of protien. I would just stay away from them if I were you.

I have several friends who were banded a year ago and eggs in any form are the one food the can not tolerate. They say they feel like they get struck no mater how soft they make them. I am 10days post op and have had egg beaters twice with no problem. I think everyone is just different.

I am 10 months out and I cannot tolerate eggs well. I can eat a bite of chicken, pork, some beef but cannot for the life of me eat eggs(and I love eggs). I sometimes can eat them at night but they are still rough going down and don't eat eggs for dinner often. Breakfast is usually a Protein shake or yogurt here. I am tighter in the mornings.

It honestly depends though but overall, I cannot get them down although sometimes a boiled egg is easier (though I don't eat the yolk(yuck)

I know when we are out eating breakfast ..I order grits, gravy and sausage and mix it....I can't even get that all down and its a very small bowl.

I get stuck with rice, bread, pasta...but can eat raw veggies like salad with no problem. some meat if its dry will get stuck i have not tried to eat an egg yet so I really dont know if it will get stuck or not maybe I should try and see...

Just the opposite!

I can't eat ground/any meat of any kind. Shredded chicken is the worst. Tomatoes hurt too. But for breakfast-- poached eggs and wheat toast with just butter spray. Go figure.

So much for meatballs, meatloaf, pork chops and steak. All my favs hurt too much to eat.

I can do eggs and eat them often. Now I can't do pork chops, steak, mushrooms or cole slaw. If it's any kind of ground meat I can do it. Haven't attempted rice, Pasta or bread. Don't plan on it either.

I'm going on a year post-band, and I've had a few fills, so I'm familiar with how to eat, etc. However, I've noticed that I cannot for the life of me, eat scrambled eggs. I take a bite, chew, (even though its pretty soft already) swallow, put the fork down, wait a min (sometimes 2) pick up the fork and repeat. Once I get to my 3rd or 4th bite, I'm literally in agony from pain. I'm not taking large bites, I'm chewing it well enough, I'm letting it go down, I just don't get what is causing the issue. I know in the mornings it's tighter, however it's when I eat them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Does anyone else have issues like this with other foods?

I've heard about difficulty with eggs from many bandsters.

Some tricks I've heard to get around the problem:

Have a cup of coffee (or tea or warm Water with lemon) a few minutes before you eat. Don't worry about the 30 min. rule with breakfast.. we're often so tight and dry from our overnight sleep that we need the fluids before eating.

Make sure that you're not over cooking the eggs. Very easy to scramble them too dry, even when they look moist.

Some folks have had good luck adding a tablespoon or two of cottage cheese to the liquid eggs before scrambling.

Try adding some veggies to your eggs. Very often mixing textures works wonders. I like mushrooms & spinach with mine, but anything you like would be fine.

I do my scrambles with 1/4 cup egg white & 1 egg. Cuts the calories, cuts the cholesterol, ups the Protein and maintains the taste.

Try hungry girl's "egg in a mug" recipes. HungryGirl.com She uses eggbeaters in hers.. no reason you couldn't use real eggs or egg whites or combo as you please.

Thing to try as last resort.. make a cup of hot tea and take a sip when you start feeling discomfort while eating. key word: SIP!! And don't wait till you are hurting.. that's too late. You have to take the sip when it's still just discomfort. I do this and it does not make me hungrier sooner.. but if it does cause your hunger to blossom.. then don't do it.

Good luck.

Edited by Melissannde
clarification

I cannot eat eggs either!!! I know Cereal isnt good for you so i figured i would be able to eat eggs! not a chance. They hurt more than anything i can imagine... So now every morning i eat oatmeal... blah. what else is there to eat for Breakfast?

No reason you can't have other things for Breakfast.. as long as they keep you full long enough (3 hours or more).

Not all Cereal is bad, the amounts we tend to pour in the bowl .. now that's another story. ::grin::

I love my oatmeal in the morning, but if you're tired of it.. and can't eat eggs.. try plain greek yogurt (non fat if possible) and some fruit of your choice, fresh or frozen and 1/8 to 1/4 cup of some kind of Cereal. I like grapenuts or Bob's Red Mill Muesli. Try to avoid cereal with the word "honey" in the title.

Take one of the 100 calorie thin Buns, use just the bottom or top half, toast it a bit. Place a slice or two of reduced fat ham (or other deli meat) on it. Put a slice of 2% cheese on top. Run in microwave or broiler or toaster oven long enough to make cheese melty.. and enjoy. Could also use one of the 100 calorie bagel thins halves. Make sure you toast the bread first, especially if you have issues with doughy bread.

Sometimes I have leftovers from supper for breakfast. I make meatloaf in muffin tins.. each one comes out somewhere between 3 & 4oz, depending on how much I stuff in there. One is perfect for a meal.

I could probably think of more, but I just woke up and am still getting my coffee down.

Edited by Melissannde
more ideas

From my date of surgery right up to my overfill I had trouble with any form of eggs. After my unfill and now 2ccs later (.75cc lower than my overfill), I have no problem with eggs. Go figure.

I'm scheduled for another 'tweak' of a fill tomorrow, so we'll see after that.

There are many things I can not eat no matter my fill level and eggs are one of the worst. I tried them 3 times in the first year and will never try them again.

I have problems with many meats, Pasta, rice, bread....

eggs are a no-no for me too. Pasta, rice, eggs, refried Beans, and deli meat are things that always give me trouble. I have no issue with salads, steak, or any tough foods as long as I chew. But eggs... bad. Which stinks, I love eggs and thought they'd be ok because of the texture.

Pastry is a bit no-no for me. Pretty much anything super carby is hard to get down - I think a lot of people are like that.

Oranges were particuarly difficult, so I'd just suck the juice out of them and throw the rest away lol. I can eat those now.