Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 9 days post op. From the first when I'd drink I felt as though I would throw up. I was able to drink less and less. I eventually had to return to hospital for fluids. I stayed in hospital 3 nights & dr. said band could be too small & swelling was up. The doctor removed 1 and 1/2 cc of Fluid from the band. Then I drank in front x-ray and watched it go through stomach opening. I remained in hospital & next day I was given a shot of steriods to help with swelling. It took another day for this work. On the 7th day post op I began to feel as though I could hold something down. I had about 4 oz. of liquids (ice chips, Water, broth, & vanilla Protein drink) I was sent home and told to take it slow. I have been home 2 days and still feel full after only 2 or 3 oz of liquid. I still froth after almost everything I eat. This is not how it's supposed to be. Should I have the doctor place a larger band so I can have full benefits of this surgery or continue to work with this one?

Sorry you are having trouble. I am wondering how much Fluid the doc. put in during surgery. If there's any in there, I would say you need more out. Hope you feel better soon. What you are going through is deffinately not normal.

I am 9 days post op also and in the beginning I could only take in around 2ozs and they said this was due to swelling. Went to Doctor Thursday and he told me I would start feeling hunger in the next week as the swelling subsided more. I can take in about 3-4 ozs at each serving before I fill full now. You may still have some swelling, if now better by tomorrow I would call your doctor again. You don't want to get dehydrated.:smile2:

thanks for the responses - should i worry if i'm only getting down about 3 or 4 oz a day? that's my main concern, b/c there's not much nutrition in what i'm able to drink.

yes i would most deff call in the morning. you are to be getting 1 oz every 20 mins. thats what i was told when i started out. if he took out 1 1/2 cc's there might be the chance he left some in it. you are swollen after surgery and then if he put a fill in it it's going to feel tighter. it takes normally about 4-6 wks for all the swelling to go down and you to really begin to heal from the surgery. can you call his office and get in contact with an answering service and see what your dr wants you to do? if you aren't careful you will get dehydrated in a hurry.

Dehydration is more to be worried about than lack of nutrition at this stage. We have plenty in our fat stores that going without nutrients for a short time isn't a concern.

Yes, call your doctor tomorrow and let them know where you are now. I'd really want the rest of the "starter fill" (what they often put in during surgery) taken out.

I do have a friend who had two bands put in.. 3 days apart. So having your smaller one removed and a larger one replaced is a possibility, but I'd try to work with what you have for now. Provided there's more Fluid that can be removed. If the doctor has already removed ALL the starter fluid.. then you probably need a bigger band.

Call the doc.