Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flipped Port :( ???

I am not sure if it is this post thread, but I am glad that I have the Lap Band as well. I was told that mine was stitched to by abdominal wall, so I do not think that it can move.

This sounds awful and I really hope I don't have any complications. I wish you all a speedy recovery in fixing this problem.

I was lap banded on the 6th. I actually really don't know where my port is. I think its about an inch above my belly button as I can feel something harder under my skin??

I had never heard of the realize band before so googled it and read that in Oct the company who makes the realize band were recalling their product.. I'm not trying to scare you all and they say its not a health risk but thought you had the right to know. I know this can happen with the lap band too and its just one of those things that happens to some but it's interesting to read and be aware.

I've added the link below FYI:

"In the extremely rare instance when tube kinking occurs at the Injection Port, the physician might be unable to adjust Fluid volume within the gastric band, which may require additional surgery to correct."

Realize band

I have the Lap Band, not Realize band, and my port flipped. First fill was VERY difficult under fluro, but he eventually manipulated it into place, second fill was a total no go and so I was scheduled for surgery to reposition it. Original surgery in May, port surgery in August, and everything has been fine since then. My doctor used mesh and sutures to hold it in place. One question I have is why don't they use the mesh and sutures in the first place? This seems to be a common problem, and it just makes sense to make it more stable from the beginning! Oh well, at least it is fixed now :)

Michelle

I too am a side sleeper and slept on my side the first night after surgery. It was the only way I could get comfortable.

I saw the "pins" when they were doing the xray. From what i could tell they looked like pig tails - corkscrew looking attachments.

I am going to ask about sutures when I go back.

Something important to note:

Even though this has happened, I am still extremely happy I got this band. To me, this is not really a big deal - more of an annoyance than anything. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have the Lap Band, not Realize band, and my port flipped. First fill was VERY difficult under fluro, but he eventually manipulated it into place, second fill was a total no go and so I was scheduled for surgery to reposition it. Original surgery in May, port surgery in August, and everything has been fine since then. My doctor used mesh and sutures to hold it in place. One question I have is why don't they use the mesh and sutures in the first place? This seems to be a common problem, and it just makes sense to make it more stable from the beginning! Oh well, at least it is fixed now :)

Michelle

I have the lap band as well. For me it was just positioned awkwardly because of my body shape so it just made it easier go turn.

I do not have the Realize band and my port actually fell and relocated below where it was supposed to be. No, answer as to why this happened. Just a freak thing and had to have surgery again 5 weeks ago. Healing the 2nd time has been a bit harder. Still in pain at times and the itching is driving me nuts!!!