Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what do you think? weird band!

hello everyone,

just wanting to get some input from you fine bandsters.

ok, i will do a quick recap of my banding.

went 8 months at sweet spot with a fill of 3.4. got a small fill, got to tight had to get an unfill. this yo-yo thing with fills keeps happening for the next year. WAY to tight or WAY to loose.

in may i got a total unfill for 4 months. in august i got a refill to 2.6 (WAY less then i ever needed before) and after flying i get home and its WAY to tight again, have fill removed again. (fine a dr office but within a week its to the point NO liquids go down even saliva has to be spit into a cup)

Sept: i got my band checked twice under flouro to check for a slip and was told 'its fine' so i get a fill to 2.4cc. not enough restriction but since i have some i say *HECK YA*

so now its been a few months, i had been counting the months till i can get .1 cc added (waiting till february after last flight for a while) well last week i had my first PB on a peice of prime rib (up until this ANYTHING goes down any time of day as long as i chew well) so since then i havent pb again BUT i have gotten semi stuck a few times and last night had to quit eating after my salad and some cauliflower NEVER even got to eat one bite of my NY strip (my favorite)

i hate to even say it outloud (so i'm typing it) but i think my band is slipped (bottom stomache coming up through the band, a prolapse) i think the last time i had it checked (it had been 2 weeks since the unfill) it had 'fixed' itself so it didnt show and i am afraid that THE ONE pb may have caused my stomach to go back through the band.

any suggestions, thoughts? i am just being REALLY careful and REALLY observant.

the only other things i have noticed:

i have started retaining Water. my fingers swell more now then they EVER have. i am sleeping with my rings OFF and put them on after i have been up a few hours

i am not regular. i havent been on the low carb since june and i thought that would fix my BM issues :( now i go through bouts where i go regular a few days then sllllooooowwwwllllyyy get backed up again. i always eat my veggies, i eat 2 servings of fresh veggies with dinner and have some type with lunch. high Fiber ones too like spinach, broccoli, cauli, etc.

ok thats all the relevant info i can think of.....

Shelly!

You don't mention reflux so I'd say that your band is probably just fine. My (uneducated non medical) guess is that you are SWOLLEN from the PBs. Give yourself a day or two of liquids and I bet your restiction returns like it was.

I fight this once a month. I go two or three weeks sailing right along, minding most of the band rules, and then I get my period and all hell breaks loose for two weeks while I try to eat and PB, then I get swollen so I go on liquids for a day...the next day I get cocky and I PB again and it only gets worse. So, I have to go on liquids for two days while my stomach settles down. It sucks and there are a lot of months were I manage it better. This month- not so good. I'm drinking milk for lunch and having a hard time.

Of course- you should check with your doctor if you are worried or if things don't improve...

As for the irregular BM's...ever since I've been banded I'm very prone to constipation- which builds up gas in my system and makes my band restrict like crazy. It's a never ending cycle.

Hope this helps, fellow old-timer.

Megan

Megan

hey megan!!

i hope its nothing i guess i just worry sometimes. it does seem SO odd that i require 1 whole cc less in my band now to close me off when before it just gave me restriction. it also bothers me that sometimes i am tighter at night than in the day? should be the opposite?!? my new dr just has me a little scared cause he thought for sure last time i was prolapsed so one PB has me all freaked out!

it has only be the one PB since sept. i havent had much restriction up untill now. but i also have been off work for the past month and they just sent me a *$hitload* of work on tuesday so maybe thats stressin me.

no i havent had a stitch of reflux so thats atleast a good sign. if things dont improve or get worse i WILL get it checked under flouro for the 3rd time this year! i know they must think i am a high maintence patient!

i need to just be observant and quit freakin!

I totally know what you mean about monthly issues. I do GREAT for two weeks then a week before i stall and then i gain up to 5 lbs( used to be 15ish) about half way through my period i start losing it and then i'm on again for two weeks or so.

But i think you should check with your doctor.

i should clarify that this did not happen around my period. i had been off it for a week. i think i am weird also in the sense that i dont have "period fluctuation" normally.

One day I'm tight, the next day the weather changes and I'm wide open. Then I get stressed and I'm locked up. Have a glass of wine to relax and I'm wide open again.

I am finding that my band and restriction is very sensitive to weather, stress, etc. It sounds to me like you may have some of those issues.

Also, my dr told me that if there is any air in your band, you will have additional swelling from flying. I swell a little from flying but nothing major. Most of it is due to the changing weather conditions.

As far as retaining Water, add lemon juice to your tea and drink plenty of Water. I also take psyllium husk daily - my family has a history of polyps and colon problems so I keep myself regular. (TMI :eek:)

Good luck in figuring it out. Celeste