Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can feel every bite???

I had my second fill to 4cc's a week and a half ago. Since that time, I can feel most every bite I take in an uncomfortable way. I have had to hold off on meat such as chicken and fish, eating instead hearty Soups like turkery chili and peaches & cottage cheese.

My now tighter band still hasn't helped me feel satisified when I eat. I am usually still hungry, and I have to stop eating just because I assume I should. (And I am not looking for a full sensation...just comfortable and satisfied.)

So my first question is:

1-Why am I feeling every bite work its way down when one would think I would be feeling it once it hit/pass through the band...not before?

2-How do you know how much to shave off of your eating as each fill happens when you don't really experience a comfortable, satisfied physical feeling?

I am telling you, I researched this band, going to seminars and consultations but until you have it, you really have no idea what questions to ask and what information you need. :frown:

Thanks for the help!!!

I had my second fill to 4cc's a week and a half ago. Since that time, I can feel most every bite I take in an uncomfortable way. I have had to hold off on meat such as chicken and fish, eating instead hearty Soups like turkery chili and peaches & cottage cheese.

My now tighter band still hasn't helped me feel satisified when I eat. I am usually still hungry, and I have to stop eating just because I assume I should. (And I am not looking for a full sensation...just comfortable and satisfied.)

So my first question is:

1-Why am I feeling every bite work its way down when one would think I would be feeling it once it hit/pass through the band...not before?

I think you may be a tad too tight. At least I had a very similar experience when I had too much fill. Everything I tried to eat gave me pain. A very tiny unfill of .2cc fixed it for me. The amount of fill that you have doesn't really matter all that much. I know someone with the same band as me.. she's tight with 2cc's. I'm at a good level with 5.5.

You could try drinking something hot (tea, coffee, Water with lemon, hot crystal light) right before eating. This will loosen the band just a little bit and might make it easier to eat. When I was too tight, I even sipped on hot tea during my meal. The key word is sip.. tiny ones. Not big drinks.

The danger with being too tight is that you can fall into the habit of eating what's called "slider foods". These things are OK on a very short term basis, but over time, tend to be higher in calorie and less satisfying to fend off hunger, so we eat more of them.. with a result of reduced weight loss.. or even regain. :blush:

2-How do you know how much to shave off of your eating as each fill happens when you don't really experience a comfortable, satisfied physical feeling?

I don't purposely change the amount I eat. I measure out my 3 or 4oz of Protein and 1/2 cup of veggies. I try to eat that and if I get too full before it's gone, then it gets put away for later. If I can finish that amount, then I'm done for at least 20 minutes. IF I am still feeling hungry after 20 minutes I'll let myself have more veggies. However, I eat my veggies fairly plain.. w/o butter or cheese. Usually only some lemon juice and/or salt on mine.

Most of the time, the 20 minutes gives my stomach and brain time to communicate and they figure out I really have had enough.

Hungry in 2 hours? I make sure I've drank 16 to 32 oz of Water (not Powerade zero, crystal light, tea, etc... water). If I haven't, I get on that. Still hungry after water.. then I can have a small high Protein snack. Apple and cheese stick is a favorite go-to. Also the small snack size cottage cheese.

I am telling you, I researched this band, going to seminars and consultations but until you have it, you really have no idea what questions to ask and what information you need. :frown:

yup yup. I had the same experience. I hung out on yahoo bandster boards from fall of 08, reading and practicing bandster behavior until banding in March of 09. There's things that you just don't get till you're one of the club. :mad2:

Thanks for the help!!!
You're welcome. I hope it was of some use. Call your docs office and talk to one of the support staff.. see if they want you to come in for a teeny unfill or have some other suggestions to help you over this rough spot. Good luck!!

Thanks for the great response!!!