Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Turned away for cheating

I recall reading a post last year from someone who woke up with no band. Her liver had not shrunk because she didnt follow her diet.

The second time she made a point of following it to the letter.

The first time I watched the surgery on YouTube (I watched several of them); when they moved this body part out of the surgical field with this spatula thing I said to myself "What the heck was that?". Turns out it was the liver. They totally flip it out of the way. Apparently when the liver is "fatty" it gets brittle for lack of a better word. The more fragile it is the harder it is to kind of fold it over on itself to get it out the way. I hope I'm not grossing anyone out. I think it is important to understand why most doctors order a "liver shrinking" diet (Yes, not all do. In fact mine did'nt. He just said to loose as much as possible presurgery.). On one video the doctor said doing a low fat/carb diet for 2 weeks presurgery helped reduce the size of the liver by 25%! That's a lot. Keep in mind these video does not show blood at all but it really conveys the poking and proding that goes on during the surgery. I also wondered what the yellow stuff was; turns out it was fat. The more weight you loose the less fat there is in the way of them doing surgery.

PS I am kind of squemish about other peoples blood (strangely enough not my own) and these videos did'nt bother me at all. My sister thought I was crazy to watch them.

Yes, I have known people for whom surgery is begun---and terminated because the liver does not show evidence of compliance with the preop diet.

I keep hearing people talk about their "pre-op diet", for three months prior to surgery, I was dieting and every appoinment lost weight. At my pre-op appointment they did all of the bloodwork, EKG, etc. They told me to eat normal the entire week prior to surgery and switch to liquids 24 hrs prior to my surgery....but there was no specific 'pre-op' diet. I went to Las Vegas and ate the weekend before my surgery and it didnt seem to be an issue, I even told my surgeon about the trip. It's crazy how different every doctor is.

Maybe it depends on your starting BMI. I was up in the 50's.

My clinic doesn't have a preop diet and he's done the band on people weighing over 400 pounds. Can't hurt to lose some excess bloat pre-surgery though.

I don't know how a doctor could turn a patient away since there's no way of knowing how much they've cheated. We all lose at different rates of speed. For example, I once went on an Optifast liquid diet of 800 calories for a month and lost *nothing*.

I'm not encouraging you to not do the pre-surgery diet. You will feel much better if you're not bloated going into surgery.

Um...

A doctor can see if their liver hasn't shrunk enough. People get turned away all the time because they can't opperate because of that. Read this thread and a majority of people know that.

Optifast makes your liver shrink and if you follow the diet correctly you can't help but lose weight because you lose weight from your liver.

Unless you've had some strange allergic reaction to something in Optifast, that makes you put on weight from non-existant calories and your liver then retains Water from it, I find it all very hard to believe. Maybe you need to exercise more. I don'tt hink you should put down Optifast when it helps a lot of people before surgery shrink their livers and make it easier to opperate. Telling them that a pre-op diet isn't important is ignorant and I think you're only doing this to disagree with me, once again.

I also find it hard to believe that you'd stick to a very hard to follow diet for a month when you're not losing any weight. This gives me reason to believe that you've never been on Optifast and you continuously state that you have to prove me wrong from a disagreement we had 3 weeks ago. Optifast isn't just a 'diet', it's used to shrink your liver before surgery. That's why people go on those diets before surgery.

Get over it. We have different opinions. You shouldn't lie in order to convince people you know what you're talking about.

I also think you shouldn't lie about your weight loss in your signature - it's a little off putting to be honest.

Edited by WrenBird

Pointless.

Edited by ElfiePoo
Ignoring trolls.

Has anyone been turned away for cheating just a little on their pre-op diet. I have cheated like 5 days out of the 14 that I am on my diet but nothing to intense just like a chicken nugget here or there and a can a Soup but nothing intense I am on day 11 of my pre op diet and has lost 15 lbs so far. I only have 4 more days left but I am afraid that because I had just small slip ups my surgeon might turn me away.

Lashonda, Is your surgery today? I am wishing you luck :)

I hope everything goes well for you and will see you on the other side.....the banded side!

Honestly I don't see why some docs put their patients through such rough liquid diets for so long pre-op. My pre-op diet was Atkins for 2 weeks. I lost 8 pounds and my liver must have been thin enough because I came out of surgery with a band.

I really don't care whether you find it 'hard to believe' that I didn't lose anything on a one month long 800 calorie Optifast diet. The *FACT* is that it's true.

I'm sorry it offends you that someone else didn't have the success you did on Optifast, but there's no need for you to get defensive about it and be 'offensive'.

(A) I think I specifically said that I was not encouraging them to cheat, (:) I don't even know who you are and yet you seem to think I care enough about you to follow you around and disagree with you? Get a life.

I don't really care what you believe. You're constantly going on about people having the right to their own opinion, but when someone has a different opinion or experience, you're quick to call them a liar.

Now, because you are once again offended that I have disagreed with you, you go further and make a false accusation about my signature line being a lie. Some might call that bullying behavior.

It's nice to see that you don't care that following me around and disagreeing with me on more than 5 different subjects (interestingly enough) doesn't bother you. It bothers me and there was a time where I didn't want to come back here because everything I'd say, no matter how many people agreed with me, you'd disagree and say that YOU'VE done it and it doesn't work for you. After coming back after 4 days to see a once again rediculous post at trying to make me look bad, I just got sick of it.

This has happened multiple times and it seems like ignoring you doesn't work anymore. I come here to get motivated to lose weight and help people with my experiences of weight loss and your nastiness is ruining it for me.

Don't call me a bully. YOU are obviously doing what you're doing on purpose. It's obvious you have a problem with me because in my first thread here you misunderstood something I said and it made you look stupid. Ever since then you've been on my jock about EVERYTHING. You say you don't know who I am?...So how do you know soooo much about me? You're quick to judge for someone who doesn't even know me.

You said that you've only lost what? 38 lbs in a year since you got your band? I'm just going by what you're saying. It makes me wonder if you put it there just to look better on the forums. Are you following me around and disagreeing with me so you can look better on the forums too?

I work my ass off and it works for me. I've lost 33 lbs in less than 2 months and I'm pretty darned proud of myself and what I'm doing is working for ME and I think you need to leave me alone and stop dropping these little hints that you think I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about when obviously what I'm doing is working.

P.S: I'm so sorry to the thread starter for hijacking your thread. I just can't take this grouchy women anymore!!

Edited by WrenBird

Pointless.

Edited by ElfiePoo
Ignoring trolls.

This is a participatory forum and there are *thousands* of posts here. I respond to quite a number of them. Please...get help for your paranoia.

Feel free to have the last word as I'm putting you on 'ignore'.

Please...get help for your paranoia.

Wow. Am I really going to have to find all of the threads where you mentioned Optifast? or eating 1200 calories? or starvation mode? or everything else you've been bothering me about or disagreed with me just for the sake of it?

Feel free to have the last word as I'm putting you on 'ignore'.

Thankgod. Please do. Now hopefully you'll leave me alone and stop being so horrible to me.

If members have a personal problem, please take them to PM, to allow us to keep the thread up and active. Failure to do so, will cause the thread to be locked down.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Good Luck to all.

Just makes me VERY glad that I chose a surgeon who did not require a pre-op diet at all. :)

Just makes me VERY glad that I chose a surgeon who did not require a pre-op diet at all. :)

I'll second that. I had my surgery through Barix Clinic and my surgeon does *only* band surgery and does not require a presurgery diet. When I asked him about 'fatty liver', he said all obese patients have fatty livers. There will always be the risk of the liver cracking when they do the banding...whether you do or don't diet. He's had patients weighing 500 pounds with very fatty livers who had no problems...and patients weighing closer to 200 pounds with less fatty livers who ended up with a cracked liver. Sounds like a toss of the dice to me.

The bottom line is that you do what your physician tells you or risk the consequences...or find another surgeon. I did seminars with several surgeons before choosing this one. The others had up to 6 months of special diets, classes, etc. (not required by insurance) and for which they charged extra (that insurance would not pay for).