Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So hard to get the protein!

I am having the hardest time getting enough protein! I am getting beyond frustrated! I was banded on 10/21 and have yet to get enough Protein. I am determined to do it today. I am forcing myself to drink a Protein Shake, I have to plug my nose with each sip...its horrible!! But thats only 25g, once I get that i have to try to find a way to get 40g more....and I still have no appetite. I never thought it would be this hard. :)

I haven't been banded yet, will be on the 19th, but i found some shakes that work pretty well and don't taste that bad. MET-Rx Protein Plus RTD 51. Try the vanilla because the chocolate sucks! it is 230 calories for the vanilla and it has 51 grams of protein in it, 6g of carbs and only 2g of surgar. I drink 1 and i am pretty full for atleast 2 hours. If i continue to drink Water after i drink it then i am full for about 4 hours. Let me know if you try them and like them! I got them in bulk at Vitamin Shoppe

I am assuming you are on the pureed foods?? My nutritionist suggested some tuna, little mayo and whatever you prefer, relish, or whatever then blend it smooth.

Also try a different Protein drink because the ones i have tried weren't. Maybe try SF carnation I heard those were the best. Good Luck!!

Even Slimfast has a high protien not too bad or Muscle Milk is good too.

I am having the hardest time getting enough protein! I am getting beyond frustrated! I was banded on 10/21 and have yet to get enough Protein. I am determined to do it today. I am forcing myself to drink a Protein shake, I have to plug my nose with each sip...its horrible!! But thats only 25g, once I get that i have to try to find a way to get 40g more....and I still have no appetite. I never thought it would be this hard. :)

I'm not a big fan of Protein drinks either. I've found that if you mix vanilla powder with your favorite crystal light packet, it can be tolerable. Also, I've found a fruit punch powder that I mix with a wylers fruit punch packet that works too!

Good luck and let me know if you find anything new to try!

I haven't been banded yet, will be on the 19th, but i found some shakes that work pretty well and don't taste that bad. MET-Rx Protein Plus RTD 51. Try the vanilla because the chocolate sucks! it is 230 calories for the vanilla and it has 51 grams of Protein in it, 6g of carbs and only 2g of surgar. I drink 1 and i am pretty full for atleast 2 hours. If i continue to drink Water after i drink it then i am full for about 4 hours. Let me know if you try them and like them! I got them in bulk at Vitamin shoppe

Wow...51 grams! Maybe I will go to Vitamin Shoppe today and try, it cant hurt...I am pretty desperate at this point.

I'm doing a few things. Using the unflavored Protein powder from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and mixing it with Crystal Light Lemonade. That's 20 grams of Protein per scoop. I also have been eating premier Protein Bars. 30 grams of protein. Those 2 things alone give me 50 grams of protein, not counting anything I eat with protein.

If I need to, I drink another lemonade with crystal light to help me get more.

Few ideas. Others will have a lot more ideas.

I am assuming you are on the pureed foods?? My nutritionist suggested some tuna, little mayo and whatever you prefer, relish, or whatever then blend it smooth.

Also try a different Protein drink because the ones i have tried weren't. Maybe try SF carnation I heard those were the best. Good Luck!!

I am actually on soft foods now. I do have some tuna here at work and I plan on eating that today. It just feels like I have to eat a lot in order to get all the Protein I need...thats why I really want to be able to down a Protein Drink.

Thank you everyone for your ideas! I am going to try it all. I really want the Protein and nutrients, I know I will feel so much better and have some energy once I get it right.

Wow...51 grams! Maybe I will go to Vitamin Shoppe today and try, it cant hurt...I am pretty desperate at this point.

51 grams is too much at one time. Your body wont be able to metabolize it. Its much better to get in about 25 or so every few hours.... so says my dietitian.

start (if you're not already) recording your food at a website such as thedailyplate.com, which is free for most of it's functions .. there are many other sites, also free.

You'll find when you do start keeping track.. that there's Protein in things you never thought about. 1/2 cup of broccoli has 1.5 grams of Protein. The oatmeal I eat has 7grams in 1/4 cup (dry.. 1 cup cooked). So, you may actually be getting more than you think.

Good luck. (I rarely drank Protein drinks and had no problem getting my protein in. I still have more than 1/2 a tub left of a Protein powder that I bought pre-op. I still only drink them now if I'm in a huge hurry and don't have time to sit and eat quietly).

51 grams is too much at one time. Your body wont be able to metabolize it. Its much better to get in about 25 or so every few hours.... so says my dietitian.

I agree. I've also been told that.

There are the Protein "bullets" that you can buy various places (I've seen them at Walmart). I think there's 25gm in 3oz. Don't recall the calories.. I think 110?

I'll sometimes measure out an oz of one of those to help my muscles recover from an intense workout. Not a routine thing.. I mention it to share that the flavor of them isn't too bad. Esp. since the volume is so low.

I was banded on October 27. I knew I was going to have a problem with the Protein Drinks because of the smell and taste. I found a web site Bariatriceating.com and ordered some of their unflavored pure Protein Powder. I can mix this with my yogurt, Soups or milk and get my Protein with out the taste and smell of the regular whey powders. 2 scoops is 24 grams. It also does not change the consistency of the food. Good luck. Diane:thumbup:

If you like chocolate the unjury Protein shake is really good, and it's 20 grams per serving. If you drink it with 1% milk that adds another 8-9 grams. So, with one shake you'll get 28 grams already and do that twice a day and you should be almost good to go.

The nutritionist told me that you should only try and get 20 grams at a time in your Protein Shake. The milk doesn't count in that.

Good luck!

try fruit Protein called 4everfit.com fruit isolate is real good and is 100 cal and 25 protein if u contact them they will send u samples if u like it stronger u can mix a crystal lite with it like flavors the black rasberry is reall good